• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

6 Year Old Girl on "No Fly List"

Jetboogieman

Somewhere in Babylon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
WESTLAKE, Ohio - Alyssa Thomas, 6, is a little girl who is already under the spotlight of the federal government. Her family recently discovered that Alyssa is on the "no fly" list maintained by U.S. Homeland Security.

"We were, like, puzzled," said Dr. Santhosh Thomas. "I'm like, well, she's kinda six-years-old and this is not something that should be typical."

Dr. Thomas and his wife were made aware of the listing during a recent trip from Cleveland to Minneapolis. The ticket agent at the Continental counter at Hopkins Airport notified the family. "They said, well, she's on the list. We're like, okay, what's the story? What do we have to do to get off the list? This isn't exactly the list we want to be on," said Dr. Thomas.

The Federal Bureau of Investigations in Cleveland will confirm that a list exists, but for national security reasons, no one will discuss who is on the list or why.

6-Year-Old Northeast Ohio Girl on 'No Fly' List - WJW

What scares me more is that someone can earn a doctorate while speaking like a Valley girl.

It has to be a mistake. Maybe there is another Alyssa Thomas, and this 6 year old was mistaken for her, just because of having the same name. But, how inconvenient it must be for the parents, if they cant take their kid on a flight with them.

I would be shocked, if I found out such a thing about my daughter, especially if nobody would explain it to me. It would make me wonder what other mistakes concerning my daughter could be made.

Now - her name being on the list isn't really the issue, in my opinion.
Not when you consider the *reasons* for the list and the fact that, since it's there to prevent questionables who don't have SSN's from coming and going, it's serving it's purpose. The only means of ID'ing some people is to ID them by name.

The problem with the list is that there is little to no means for an innocent person to 1) Find out there's on it without it being a major inconvenience (standing in live at the airport is not convenient) 2) Have a path of recourse that can be taken care of within a reasonable amount of it.

It makes pure sense for someone to be able to get a pass of some nature - like a photo ID (which they do have in some areas, so I've heard) and that be the end of it. When getting a ticket and boarding - just show the id - there you go.

Not when you consider the *reasons* for the list and the fact that, since it's there to prevent questionables who don't have SSN's from coming and going, it's serving it's purpose. The only means of ID'ing some people is to ID them by name.

The problem with the list is that there is little to no means for an innocent person to 1) Find out there's on it without it being a major inconvenience (standing in live at the airport is not convenient) 2) Have a path of recourse that can be taken care of within a reasonable amount of it.

It makes pure sense for someone to be able to get a pass of some nature - like a photo ID (which they do have in some areas, so I've heard) and that be the end of it. When getting a ticket and boarding - just show the id - there you go.

Hey, if you haven't done anything wrong YOU AINT GOT NOTHIN TO WORRY ABO- oh wait.

I think "no children" should be a flight option.

I think the feds should take another look at that list, and actually match up who they have on there with their SSNs and birthdays. This isn't the first child that was found on that list. The other one I heard about was 2 years old or younger.

and just think there are those who want government healthcare.

Now, the American government is becoming an ineffective bureaucracy. The federal government mistakes 2 years old, 6 years old children for terrorists. Finally, I understand why conservatives are nowadays raving about America's big government. It's too big, it can't even match up one name for another

Not when you consider the *reasons* for the list and the fact that, since it's there to prevent questionables
A six year old questionable?

A six year old questionable?

Ah - no - that wasn't my point.
I think they were stupid for not letting her on the plane - she's 6! I think it should have been a non-issue. Someoen should have used their BRAIN and just said "obviously you're not a threat"

However - the point of the list is to prevent possible dangerous people from getting onboard. Important point: She's not the only person in the WORLD with *that name* - who is *really* being kept from flying? . . . *That other person who has that name and might be a threat shouldn't be flying* :shrug: Yes?

They need to fix this list if they insist on continuing it's use - it has a lot of problems, obviously. . .people who all share the same name worldwide should have a viable option so they can actually travel. . .it shouldn't' be a blanket-list with no exemption, exceptions or solutions to problems.

Last edited:
I know some 6 year old terrorists. They were all the little girls in my first grade class. You didn't mess with them, period. You would pay at recess......I wouldn't let them on the plane either! :mrgreen:

Ah - no - that wasn't my point.
I think they were stupid for not letting her on the plane - she's 6! I think it should have been a non-issue. Someone should have used their BRAIN and just said "obviously you're not a threat".
They DID let her on the plane.

It's in the article.

Bloated government gets it right once more! :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom