• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

6 Most Unhealthy Foods You Should Avoid at All Costs

The Giant Noodle

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Some people swear by the mantra "everything in moderation," but the truth is, some foods, no matter how good they taste, are better off left alone.
If you need a little motivation to stay away from these most unhealthy foods, consider that four of the 10 leading causes of death in the United States are related to diet (diabetes, heart disease, cancer and stroke). And if you're looking to improve yours, cutting back on these six foods is a great place to start.

HERE THEY ARE: Healthy with Hart - the 6 Most Unhealthy Foods You Should Avoid at All Costs

The only time I eat/drink any of that stuff is at sporting events (White Sox/Bears).

Over a year ago I cut routine intakes of that out of my diet - now my Dr Pepper love only shines through when I go to the grocery store (once a week) at the gas station I buy a 20 oz. The sweet taste of poison - take me away! :)

What they didn't list - and should have - are cured pork and other meat products that, like those hot dogs, have been injected with a sodium nitrate solution for the curing process (almost all cuts of ham have been injected this way). I stopped eating said products years ago because the nitrate solution makes it taste salty and gross. . . I started smoking my own hams on my smoker as an alternative and it always tasted fabulous :) I didn't realize I was sparing myself the poison in the process, though.

A good alternative to canned soups are homemade soups - using a beef or chicken broth (naturally with very little fat) is great - add some frozen veggies (like a Cajun mix with celery, onion and bells . . .) Various spices and herbs - let cook for a little while - you can add meats if you want . . . voila. No preservatives and very low fat/sodium.

You bring up a EXCELLENT point!!! Processed meats are HORRIBLE for you. Very very bad stuff. Also the more sodium in your diet the more anxiety you feel. ;)

Salt/sodium is like sugar to me (everyone responds differently depending on their level of sensitivity)

When it's naturally *in* the produce/meat it has little effect on me.
But when I ingest that same amount if it's been added to a food/drink (like salted pretzels) - I feel it and it doesn't feel good.

You bring up a EXCELLENT point!!! Processed meats are HORRIBLE for you. Very very bad stuff. Also the more sodium in your diet the more anxiety you feel. ;)

salt has no effect on me, and i love it.

Canned/instant soup is the real shocker there. I stopped eating them a while ago. Sodium levels are unbelievable. Some of the newer healthly versions of canned soups that specify low sodium are OK but lacking in the taste dept.

Funny - Eggs aren't on that list. :mrgreen:

Over a year ago I cut routine intakes of that out of my diet - now my Dr Pepper love only shines through when I go to the grocery store (once a week) at the gas station I buy a 20 oz. The sweet taste of poison - take me away!

I drink diet Dr. Pepper.
I am not persuaded that artificial sweetener is in fact "even more unhealthy" than the ten teaspoonfuls of sugar in a can of regular soda.
Of all the sugar-free sodas, diet Dr. Pepper's the best. Well, that and diet A&W root beer, but I don't want to drink root beer all the time, only occasionally.

Sigh. There goes 3/4ths o our grocery list.

Seriously, WTf else is there to eat? Spinach? Bleah.

**** that list! I'll take my chance with the cancer and keep the hot dogs, sausages, and brats.

Diet Coke - 0 calories

100% juice - 150 calories

You be the judge. :)

I drink diet Dr. Pepper.
I am not persuaded that artificial sweetener is in fact "even more unhealthy" than the ten teaspoonfuls of sugar in a can of regular soda.
Of all the sugar-free sodas, diet Dr. Pepper's the best. Well, that and diet A&W root beer, but I don't want to drink root beer all the time, only occasionally.

I've tried the diets - I'd rather just go without and drink sparingly :)
Either way - it's all processed sugars - what's worse is the acid - rots my teeth like I'm a methhead.

I've tried the diets - I'd rather just go without and drink sparingly :)
Either way - it's all processed sugars - what's worse is the acid - rots my teeth like I'm a methhead.

I used to not want to drink sugar-free; then I got used to it and now I don't like the taste of regular anymore. Diet is sweeter and tastes better to me.
I was sure my teeth were rotten out from all the soda I drink, plus I hadn't been to a dentist in 20 years... but I finally went a couple of months ago, and all I had was two small cavities, both in my wisdom teeth. Your teeth might not be as bad as you think. It's hard to tell, unless you go see the dentist.
All the stuff I thought was tooth decay was actually smoke stains, from back when I used to smoke. A professional cleaning got it all off.
If you smoke or drink coffee, you might just have stains on your teeth, not actual tooth decay.

My teeth have always been a problem for me - I'm not sure why, really - when I was younger it could easily be attributed to poor dental-habits, that's normal for kids. But now that I'm an adult it's because I just don't take (or have) the time to get problems fixed when they start - and they just quickly become worse, and spread. I've gone countless times but it just never is enough - there's always 5 more cavities here, 13 there . . . it's constant. Amazing I still have teeth *in* my mouth.

I'm considering sedation sessions - last time I went to the dentist I had 14 cavities - and I'm sure they've just gotten worse since then. I've had a few taken care of but one or two per session when your teeth are so horrid is like pissing in a bucket.

That's actually what started my lean off of acidic drinks (soda/coffee) - when you sip sip sip all day it brings the ph down, which encourages the growth of bacteria and so on . . . and that leads to more and more decay. If my teeth were squared away and cavity free it wouldn't be quite that way.

My teeth have always been a problem for me - I'm not sure why, really - when I was younger it could easily be attributed to poor dental-habits, that's normal for kids. But now that I'm an adult it's because I just don't take (or have) the time to get problems fixed when they start - and they just quickly become worse, and spread. I've gone countless times but it just never is enough - there's always 5 more cavities here, 13 there . . . it's constant. Amazing I still have teeth *in* my mouth.

I'm considering sedation sessions - last time I went to the dentist I had 14 cavities - and I'm sure they've just gotten worse since then. I've had a few taken care of but one or two per session when your teeth are so horrid is like pissing in a bucket.

That's actually what started my lean off of acidic drinks (soda/coffee) - when you sip sip sip all day it brings the ph down, which encourages the growth of bacteria and so on . . . and that leads to more and more decay. If my teeth were squared away and cavity free it wouldn't be quite that way.

Holy cow. I think I'd just get my teeth pulled and get dentures, if I had that many cavities.
My ex-husband recently got all his teeth pulled and got those screw-in implants. They look better than his real teeth did.
I remember when his problems started, in his late teens. My dad would loan him money for a much-needed root canal; he'd run out and get a new tattoo instead.
Now he's got a lot of cool tats, but fake teeth. Serves him right.
I call him "toothless n' ruthless". :lol:

Holy cow. I think I'd just get my teeth pulled and get dentures, if I had that many cavities.
My ex-husband recently got all his teeth pulled and got those screw-in implants. They look better than his real teeth did.
I remember when his problems started, in his late teens. My dad would loan him money for a much-needed root canal; he'd run out and get a new tattoo instead.
Now he's got a lot of cool tats, but fake teeth. Serves him right.
I call him "toothless n' ruthless". :lol:

Yeah - I had braces when I was in highschool.
Went twice a year - no cavities for a while.
But then one time I went and BAM - 5 . . . no dental insurance . . . out of pocket - and as soon as I'd take care of one another would come around. I finally had them taken care of, thought I was good - floss and brush floss and brush - next 6 month checkup BAM - 6 . . . and on and on it went.

I got sick of it. I shelled thousands of my own money into my damn mouth and it didn't seem to matter - I stopped coffee, soda . . . candy and crap - didn't seem to matter.

2 years ago I finally got dental insurance - I go a few times a year and for every one they fix it seems like I get two. Right now I think I have 7 that have yet to eb taken care of - I can't live there. It would take 7 months at one appointment per month - and during that time another one or two will come around.

:shrug: If I just wait a few months I can afford one or two sessions of sedation dentistry - and maybe that'll get rid fo every single one of them. As long as I have *a* cavity I'm prone to *more* rather quickly.

Last edited:
Some people swear by the mantra "everything in moderation," but the truth is, some foods, no matter how good they taste, are better off left alone.
If you need a little motivation to stay away from these most unhealthy foods, consider that four of the 10 leading causes of death in the United States are related to diet (diabetes, heart disease, cancer and stroke). And if you're looking to improve yours, cutting back on these six foods is a great place to start.

HERE THEY ARE: Healthy with Hart - the 6 Most Unhealthy Foods You Should Avoid at All Costs

Looks like the only thing I eat thats on that list is hotdogs.

A few times a year - picnics have 3 of the 5. Canned soups during the winter once in a while, I'll risk the salt intake. Donuts - love 'em but rarely get them these days. Chips / fries - my weakness - I get the low salt baked variety. Soda I have once a week or so - usually Ginger ale or root beer. Hot Dogs, maybe a half dozen times year. Not a big hot dog fan.

What they missed is every fast food joint. If people just cut out fast food - the rest of these 6 items in moderation wouldn't matter much.

I feel for you. My teeth have always been a nightmare for me. Braces for FOUR years when I was a teen. And after that, cavity, cavity, cavity. Hell, my teeth came through my gums with cavities (I **** you not). I had to have fillings and then preventative caps put on my molars. I had to have four teeth pulled in order to have my braces put on ( so there would be room for my teeth to move). Then my wisdom teeth came in impacted, had those surgically removed. (that's 8 teeth pulled by the time I was 18). Eventually I started needing root canals, but apparently my mouth doesn't like root canals much because they don't always work. Spend over $2000 to save ONE tooth (root canal, retreatment, retreatment) before finally telling a dentist to just pull the goddamn thing. She said she had to pull the one above it too (which was one of my few "good" teeth). So, two more teeth pulled. (total of 10 pulled) A couple of years later, after a $1000 root canal on one tooth, it broke and there wasn't enough of it to crown. So, tooth number 11 was pulled. So, I have 11 pulled teeth and 7 crowns now. All my molars, basically. My front teeth have always been fine for some reason.

So I totally empathize with you. The culprit for me - we think - is that I clench my teeth at night when I'm sleeping, thereby fracturing all of my molars eventually. (TMJ)

Diet Coke - 0 calories

100% juice - 150 calories

You be the judge. :)
Calorie counting isn't the be-all, end-all. Especially when the 0 calorie drink is full of unhealthy chemicals.

I drink diet Dr. Pepper.
Artificial sweeteners give me diarrhea. And the fact that they're chemicals persuades me that they're more unhealthy than natural sugar.

I know you don't have an issue with weight, but artificial sweeteners have actually been linked as a cause of weight gain.

Last edited:
I treat my teeth like crap and I have yet to have a cavity.

I feel for you. My teeth have always been a nightmare for me. Braces for FOUR years when I was a teen. And after that, cavity, cavity, cavity. Hell, my teeth came through my gums with cavities (I **** you not). I had to have fillings and then preventative caps put on my molars. I had to have four teeth pulled in order to have my braces put on ( so there would be room for my teeth to move). Then my wisdom teeth came in impacted, had those surgically removed. (that's 8 teeth pulled by the time I was 18). Eventually I started needing root canals, but apparently my mouth doesn't like root canals much because they don't always work. Spend over $2000 to save ONE tooth (root canal, retreatment, retreatment) before finally telling a dentist to just pull the goddamn thing. She said she had to pull the one above it too (which was one of my few "good" teeth). So, two more teeth pulled. (total of 10 pulled) A couple of years later, after a $1000 root canal on one tooth, it broke and there wasn't enough of it to crown. So, tooth number 11 was pulled. So, I have 11 pulled teeth and 7 crowns now. All my molars, basically. My front teeth have always been fine for some reason.

So I totally empathize with you. The culprit for me - we think - is that I clench my teeth at night when I'm sleeping, thereby fracturing all of my molars eventually. (TMJ)

Calorie counting isn't the be-all, end-all. Especially when the 0 calorie drink is full of unhealthy chemicals.

Artificial sweeteners give me diarrhea. And the fact that they're chemicals persuades me that they're more unhealthy than natural sugar.

I know you don't have an issue with weight, but artificial sweeteners have actually been linked as a cause of weight gain.
DAANNNNG you had it bad....i had to get give or take 10 teeth pulled out aswell..... then i found out how much it was to get them pulled....... nope! pulled them out myself ....dental floss... and rubber tipped pliers.... nuff said .-. i hd braces about the same time as you had to get the pallet expander and a chin cup to retain the fast growth of my lower jaw (thankfully i only wore it at night.) and all i have left is o pull out the wisdom teeth thankfully i can just volunteer at a university of dental blahh blahh blahh lol and the professor wil perform the surgery while students watch and learn and its only 25 a pop vs. 2000-5000 hello university lol

but going back on topic i never knew all these things at these restaurants were so unhealthy... being salad and all. :(

What sort of goof ball alternative medicine journal did you extract that pearl from. :lol:

DAANNNNG you had it bad....i had to get give or take 10 teeth pulled out aswell..... then i found out how much it was to get them pulled....... nope! pulled them out myself ....dental floss... and rubber tipped pliers.... nuff said .-. i hd braces about the same time as you had to get the pallet expander and a chin cup to retain the fast growth of my lower jaw (thankfully i only wore it at night.) and all i have left is o pull out the wisdom teeth thankfully i can just volunteer at a university of dental blahh blahh blahh lol and the professor wil perform the surgery while students watch and learn and its only 25 a pop vs. 2000-5000 hello university lol

$2000 to pull teeth? My dentist charged me $50. Jeez!

Back
Top Bottom