• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

6 months later, McDonald's happy meal 'turns into plastic'

Honestly, this would probably happen to any plain hamburger, made and left out on a table. It really isn't just McDs. I don't think McDs is good for you, but it does seem like a lot of people are making a big deal out of what is really just simple science.

A good test for this would be to get a plain burger from any fast food restaurant, a plain burger from McDs, and make one yourself, then allow all of them to sit out for 6 months on your counter (you must keep a clean house, or some vermin might eat the stuff before the experiment is done). They should all end up in pretty much the same condition, no matter where you live. (Although, there might be some variations from the salt content of the fast food burgers.)

This really isn't a defense of McDs, since they most definitely have food that is bad for you and add way too much salt to pretty much all of it, but this really isn't due to any extra horrible stuff/chemicals. It is just too much salt and no catalyst for the bacteria or mold to grow, which would generally be moisture. Even normal bread will just get hard if you leave it out or open instead of closed up in the bag it comes in. The collection of moisture inside the bag makes the bread grow mold, not just the fact that it is bread.

Honestly, this would probably happen to any plain hamburger, made and left out on a table. It really isn't just McDs. I don't think McDs is good for you, but it does seem like a lot of people are making a big deal out of what is really just simple science.

A good test for this would be to get a plain burger from any fast food restaurant, a plain burger from McDs, and make one yourself, then allow all of them to sit out for 6 months on your counter (you must keep a clean house, or some vermin might eat the stuff before the experiment is done). They should all end up in pretty much the same condition, no matter where you live. (Although, there might be some variations from the salt content of the fast food burgers.)

This really isn't a defense of McDs, since they most definitely have food that is bad for you and add way too much salt to pretty much all of it, but this really isn't due to any extra horrible stuff/chemicals. It is just too much salt and no catalyst for the bacteria or mold to grow, which would generally be moisture. Even normal bread will just get hard if you leave it out or open instead of closed up in the bag it comes in. The collection of moisture inside the bag makes the bread grow mold, not just the fact that it is bread.

I've left home-grilled burgers out over night accidentally and they were a shrivelled disaster by morning. Just sayin' ;)

Wow what a wonderful art project:roll:

Artist-s-Happy-Meal-Project-Proves-McDonald-s-Doesn-t-Ever-Go-Bad-2.jpg

It sometimes is more along the lines of preservation in the ideal environment rather than something about the food itself. The fries (like fruitcake) are trapped in an oxygen-less environment.

The burger probably succumbed to the same environment due to evaporation - like it was preserved.

It probably depends to an extent on the environment of the house - is it dry, or is there a lot of moisture in the air?
I would think the former would prevent some decay, and the latter might promote it.

I will say that McD (and, fast food in general) seems to have hellish amounts of salt content – fries especially are noticeable.

I've left home-grilled burgers out over night accidentally and they were a shriveled disaster by morning. Just sayin' ;)

Were they over-cooked and dry burgers?

I would think if they were not, evaporation would shrivel them up a bit.

Were they over-cooked and dry burgers?

I would think if they were not, evaporation would shrivel them up a bit.

Sir, thou dost impugn my grilling prowess!

My burgers are never overcooked or dry! Each patty is hand formed with love from only the choicest lean ground beef, lightly seasoned with Red Baron Grilling Spices and topped with freshly sliced Tillamook cheese before being grilled to a magnificent finish and placed upon a grilled onion bun.

My burgers are never overcooked or dry! Each patty is hand formed with love from only the choicest lean ground beef, lightly seasoned with Red Baron Grilling Spices and topped with freshly sliced Tillamook cheese before being grilled to a magnificent finish and placed upon a grilled onion bun.

So what time is dinner?

Stop, just stop!

I've barely eaten yet today, and you're making me hungry - thankfully, my mealtime is in ~20 mins... :mrgreen:

But that might explain why they shriveled up - there was plenty of delicious moisture in them to evaporate.

My parents are scared for me to eat fast food and I don't even live with them. Thanks for posting this.

Showed this to my mom she laughed so hard.

Back
Top Bottom