• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

58 percent of Russians support the invasion of Ukraine, and 23 percent oppose it, new poll shows

They are freaking crazy. I don't care how much I hated the occupiers I wouldn't dare advance on these soldiers...they just kept making small steps forward into guns aimed right at them...

Maybe they know that the Russians are not nearly as bad as the demonic half humans view you try to push on everyone here

Additionally to the theme of this thread.

Once war begins the support for it always rises and for the obvious reason of supporting " our boys". The justifications for the war, whether real or imagined, definitely play second fiddle to the stark reality of the deaths of brothers, sons, fathers etc etc and the Russians, despite ongoing attempts to make them appear something akin to sub human, will be no different.

So has Zelensky and so did the West wrt many of the Russian news outlets. That's what happens when wars break out and the narrative has to be controlled

You do know that your lies are so obvious that the most natural reaction is somewhere between laughter and feeling sorry for you, right?

Wow racism 101 and unhidden this time

Your commentary is based, as I have always noticed, on a deep seated racism/xenophobia against Russians. Not even the Russian leaderships but the Russians as people. My anti US bias at least spares a blanket assassination of the people themselves

Another lie. The great bulk of Russian people are fine. Unfortunately, the truth is hidden from them by the evil murderous thug Putin about his killing and ruination in Ukraine.

Many Russians don't respond honestly to polls. Far easier for them to say я за путина and go on with their day.

Which is what makes it amazing the ONLY 58% support Putin’s murderous invasion even though they have been bombarded with state-sponsored propaganda about it.

Older Russians get their news from television and newspapers, almost all of which is either owned by the Kremlin or owned by oligarchs in league with the Kremlin.

Younger Russians rely on the internet and apps like Telegram, which is why the Kremlin goes to great lengths to jam these outside sources.

I can't tell you how many ethnic-Russian Ukrainians in Ukraine are telling their parents in Russia by phone what is actually happening in Ukraine and their parents just refuse to believe it.

This is what all dictatorships strive for .... total information supremacy.

So has Zelensky and so did the West wrt many of the Russian news outlets. That's what happens when wars break out and the narrative has to be controlled
The war in Ukraine did not "break out" like some random event - a thunderstorm perhaps. It was lunched by a power crazed imperialist call Putin. Zelensky and the gallant Ukrainian defenders are fully entitled to "control the narrative" in any way they can. In WWII the UK was, thankfully, quite good at black propaganda.

If I understand your comments correctly you are actually rather proud of being 'evenly balanced' between good and evil.

Wow racism 101 and unhidden this time

Your commentary is based, as I have always noticed, on a deep seated racism/xenophobia against Russians. Not even the Russian leaderships but the Russians as people. My anti US bias at least spares a blanket assassination of the people themselves

As all slavs are a part of one ethnicity and a part of one race, Europeanoids, racism wouldn't be applicable. I like the Slavic Poles, Ukrainians, and just about everyone else in Europe. Nonetheless, there is something seemingly immutable in the Russian tribe, a relentless historic problem with becoming fully civilized. As I said, it would seem that 1/4 of the Russians do not suffer from this strange ailment, and twice as many do.

It may be, curable (as it was with Germans) by an invasion and occupation, with being retrained and history beaten into their thick skulls, or it may be inherent. It really does not matter because no one wants to invade Russia, not since 1941, so the only option left is to contain them - fence them off, keep them away from the rest of humanity. Of course I wish the 1/4 of avowed decent people good luck, and there is another 1/4 on the fence and many of them persuadable. But the majority, the other half, those who invariably rule Russia must be written off as hopeless.

Such has always been the character of Russian soul.

Last edited:
This is grossly unfair. If Russian citizens have never known true democracy etc., it is the fault of their leaders, not the populace.

I used to believe that too. When communism collapsed and Europe was freed from the menace I looked forward to the emergence of democracy and a humane society in Russia. It seemed that it was all over, and we could tend to our own needs and take joy in victory of liberal democracy.

Here we are, 30 years later, returning to the same shit. Another form of autocracy, of totalitarian control, from the seed bed of communism. Russians have once again squandered their opportunity and returned to their old ways...this time in the form of a Mafia State, a giant organized gang stealing from the honest men and women. And here we have 43 percent of their people absolutely committed to the cause of invading their former colony, with another 13 percent mostly in agreement.

This is a human tragedy for the victims of Russian hubris and entitlement, of their attraction to fascists like Putin. And for me, I cannot give them the benefit of the doubt any longer. They are who they are, and its never going to change on its own (if at all).

The cold war has returned.

I haven't yet decided on the why of it, but Russians as a whole prefer a strongman. A dictator.

I tend to think they feel safe and comfortable knowing that today will be just like yesterday. Democracy is messy. You never know what tomorrow will bring.

With the dissolution of the USSR in 1991, Boris Yeltsin badly mismanaged the Russian economy and his corruption doomed any credible attempt at Democracy.

For Russians old enough to remember, they are terrified of any return to the 1990's. They prefer a dictatorship to those turbulent days of murder, mayhem, unemployment, and runaway inflation.

I haven't yet decided on the why of it, but Russians as a whole prefer a strongman. A dictator.

I tend to think they feel safe and comfortable knowing that today will be just like yesterday. Democracy is messy. You never know what tomorrow will bring.

With the dissolution of the USSR in 1991, Boris Yeltsin badly mismanaged the Russian economy and his corruption doomed any credible attempt at Democracy.

For Russians old enough to remember, they are terrified of any return to the 1990's. They prefer a dictatorship to those turbulent days of murder, mayhem, unemployment, and runaway inflation.

I continue to disagree with this. There is a “new Russia” out there wanting to be a part of the world community and just waiting to escape, spearheaded by the young. What Putin is doing is the last gasp of the old Russia. He can stave it off for 15 or 20 years, at most, but destiny is on the side of the young.

I continue to disagree with this. There is a “new Russia” out there wanting to be a part of the world community and just waiting to escape, spearheaded by the young. What Putin is doing is the last gasp of the old Russia. He can stave it off for 15 or 20 years, at most, but destiny is on the side of the young.

I don't disagree. I merely explained what the siiuation in Russia is today.

Putin has sealed off young Russia from the rest of the world.

As all slavs are a part of one ethnicity and a part of one race, Europeanoids, racism wouldn't be applicable. I like the Slavic Poles, Ukrainians, and just about everyone else in Europe. Nonetheless, there is something seemingly immutable in the Russian tribe, a relentless historic problem with becoming fully civilized. As I said, it would seem that 1/4 of the Russians do not suffer from this strange ailment, and twice as many do.

It may be, curable (as it was with Germans) by an invasion and occupation, with being retrained and history beaten into their thick skulls, or it may be inherent. It really does not matter because no one wants to invade Russia, not since 1941, so the only option left is to contain them - fence them off, keep them away from the rest of humanity. Of course I wish the 1/4 of avowed decent people good luck, and there is another 1/4 on the fence and many of them persuadable. But the majority, the other half, those who invariably rule Russia must be written off as hopeless.

Such has always been the character of Russian soul.

Yep, way to explain what is just bog standard xenophobia against Russians. It's not like people haven't already sussed this bigotry in your posts because they have. That you are not on your own on this is doubly sad imo

The war in Ukraine did not "break out" like some random event - a thunderstorm perhaps. It was lunched by a power crazed imperialist call Putin. Zelensky and the gallant Ukrainian defenders are fully entitled to "control the narrative" in any way they can. In WWII the UK was, thankfully, quite good at black propaganda.

If I understand your comments correctly you are actually rather proud of being 'evenly balanced' between good and evil.

Sure Putin initiated this war but it's not as black and white as you want to believe it is. I feel there will be much you won't lnow because you look like all of your views are reliant on the one side

Evenly balanced in seeing what both sides. all sides , have to say

Yep, way to explain what is just bog standard xenophobia against Russians. It's not like people haven't already sussed this bigotry in your posts because they have. That you are not on your own on this is doubly sad imo

Rusphobia is at least closer to the truth. Just as for the Germans in WWII, the phobic reaction of the most of the free world has been well earned.

Sure Putin initiated this war but it's not as black and white as you want to believe it is. I feel there will be much you won't lnow because you look like all of your views are reliant on the one side

Evenly balanced in seeing what both sides. all sides , have to say

What exactly do both sides have to say? What if one is, say, 100% propaganda and the other is, say, 10% propaganda? Should we see both as equal in veracity?

What exactly do both sides have to say? What if one is, say, 100% propaganda and the other is, say, 10% propaganda? Should we see both as equal in veracity?

Of course not. But that is the conslusion that Kremlin propagandists push.

10% propaganda <=> 100% propaganda - which is of course fallacious. The terms are not interchangable.

How would you even know what the percentages were if it were possible to calculate?

Your posts show just how far your head is buried in the sand, you would have no chance of knowing, significanlty less than most.

Rusphobia is at least closer to the truth. Just as for the Germans in WWII, the phobic reaction of the most of the free world has been well earned.

Godwins Law invocation, what a surprise.

Whatever the Russian leadership is like , it's not the Nazi state. Infact if you want to see the gross hero worship of that ideology today you would be better looking at the Ukrainain side.

Of course you won't, that goes without saying.

How would you even know what the percentages were if it were possible to calculate?

Your posts show just how far your head is buried in the sand, you would have no chance of knowing, significanlty less than most.

More psychological projection from you in your continued attempt to downplay the truth. It is not unlikely at all that the information about Ukraine coming from Putin, both to his citizens and to the world, are indeed at or near the 100% mark in terms of pure PROPAGANDA. You do know that he shut down all independent news media, right? Why do you think that he did that except to make certain that his populace received NOTHING but state-controlled PROPAGANDA.
As for Ukraine and the West, yes, there is probably SOME "propaganda", but the percentage is very small. That's because the citizens of the West have FREE SPEECH and INDEPENDENT MEDIA who can push back if and when the "propaganda" becomes anywhere close to total untruth.
That you refuse to recognize these clear facts speaks volumes about where you stand on propaganda--firmly on the side of your great hero Putin!

Godwins Law invocation, what a surprise.

Whatever the Russian leadership is like , it's not the Nazi state. Infact if you want to see the gross hero worship of that ideology today you would be better looking at the Ukrainain side.

Of course you won't, that goes without saying.

He didn't say Nazis, he said Germans. You are the one who inserted the word Nazis. And yes, Putin invaded a neighboring country in order to expand his sphere of influence. Remember lebensraum?

Yes, it is. The Russian military stormed across Ukraine's borders intent on agressive war.

Nope, at lot more to it than that and you know it.

He didn't say Nazis, he said Germans. You are the one who inserted the word Nazis. And yes, Putin invaded a neighboring country in order to expand his sphere of influence. Remember lebensraum?

He said " Germans in WW2 " so he was obviously referring to Nazi Germany, so stop lying about what was referenced

Back
Top Bottom