• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

57 percent of voters say they won’t support Trump in 2020

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

trump-beats-clinton-era-record-for-longest-government-shutdown-2-400x240.jpg

1/17/19
With the 2020 presidential election already underway, 57 percent of registered voters said they would definitely vote against President Donald Trump, according to the latest poll from the PBS NewsHour, NPR and Marist. Another 30 percent of voters said they would cast their ballot to support Trump, and an additional 13 percent said they had no idea who would get their vote. Although the election is still nearly two years away, the large number of voters who oppose Trump as well as his low approval ratings suggest the president faces a “steep, steep incline” in winning re-election, said Lee Miringoff, the director of the Marist Institute for Public Opinion. “The president has had his base and not much else,” Miringoff added.

home-design.jpg

But who would Republicans want to see run against Trump? According to the poll, 29 percent of Republicans and conservative-leaning Independents said they felt favorable about Sen. Mitt Romney, R-Utah, the 2012 Republican presidential nominee. Another 24 percent said they thought well of former Ohio Republican Gov. John Kasich — but 48 percent of potential Republican voters had no idea who Kasich was, a sign of the challenges most GOP candidates would have in taking on a sitting president from their own party.

I like John Kasich myself, but I'm done with the Republican Party for a long, long time. Unfortunately, this country will have to weather another 21+ months of President Hamberders.

Related: Trump loses support among his core voting groups as the shutdown drags on, polls say

Uh-oh...

Poll says 57% won't vote Trump? :confused:

Sounds to me like Trump forgot to send the check to the pollsters. :doh

No biggie. Who needs votes when you have the EC? :roll:

Kasich and the Republican party share nothing in common

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

He didnt even do a good job in Ohio. Economic growth in Ohio lagged the average rate of national economy.

I like John Kasich myself, but I'm done with the Republican Party for a long, long time. Unfortunately, this country will have to weather another 21+ months of President Hamberders.

Related: Trump loses support among his core voting groups as the shutdown drags on, polls say

I love that 62% of Independents say they won't vote for him. And 21% of Republicans are not sure and another 10% committed to voting against him.

It may be best for Democrats to forget about impeachment and run against him in 2020 to control all branches of government.

Let's see
- doesn't like to lie as his go-to response
- isn't filthy or trashy
- reasonable
- isn't Putin's bitch

I agree, nothing like modern Republicans.

He didnt even do a good job in Ohio. Economic growth in Ohio lagged the average rate of national economy.
Kaisisch is a die hard progressive at heart. The only difference between him and Democrats is the speed sr which they are moving toward tolitarism

The two numbers that make me happiest: only 69 percent of Republicans say they will vote for him, a number that used to be in the eighties, and 62 percent of independents who say they won't vote for him.

The orange fat man is screwed.

Let's see
- doesn't like to lie as his go-to response
- isn't filthy or trashy
- reasonable
- isn't Putin's bitch

I agree, nothing like modern Republicans.

Don't forget the runner up was Ted Cruz...lol. It's clear that "modern" Republican voters only like deplorable people.

I could live with Kasich, he seems very pragmatic. I think he would have made a good president. Also, Marco Rubio seems pretty decent to me. He's a fan of Wu-Tan Clan. That demonstrates a youthful open-mindedness. How bad could he be?

Wow. Looks like a significant number of people are walking away from the Rethuglican party. Even a single-digit swing there would be more than enough to elect a Democrat in 2020!

Republicans would be wise to remember Trump lost the national popular vote by a historic margin and only won the electoral college because of less than 100k votes in 3 states (that have since turned against him). This type of swing will be fatal if it sticks through 2020. And people continue to blame Trump and Republicans for the shutdown, so they have decided to keep on digging.

You are right, Trump's party is not the same party it was pre-2016.

What I really don't understand is why the GOP is so willing to go over the cliff with trump? Do they not understand most of america is tired of their antics? Do they not understand with their current behavior and support of trump they are painting themselves into a no win corner? If the republican senators vote with trump, sane americans will vote them out next time they are up for reelection. If they vote against trump, their own base will crucify them.

You are right, Trump's party is not the same party it was pre-2016.
The Democrat party insnt what it was back in the 90s either. Nor were the parties the same under Kennedy. What's your point?

What I really don't understand is why the GOP is so willing to go over the cliff with trump? Do they not understand most of america is tired of their antics? Do they not understand with their current behavior and support of trump they are painting themselves into a no win corner? If the republican senators vote with trump, sane americans will vote them out next time they are up for reelection. If they vote against trump, their own base will crucify them.

They maybe could redeem themselves is they started to take a stand against Trump but for some reason they are going along. It is baffling. Maybe they really don’t want Pence as president.

The Democrat party insnt what it was back in the 90s either. Nor were the parties the same under Kennedy. What's your point?

I was agreeing with you?

They maybe could redeem themselves is they started to take a stand against Trump but for some reason they are going along. It is baffling. Maybe they really don’t want Pence as president.

Many are terrified that Trump will put someone up to "primary them" for 2020. Like he did to former Utah GOP Representative Mia Love in 2018.

Her loss was a warning to others thinking of stepping out of line.

Reality has a way of intruding that must absolutely infuriate Trump supporters at this point.

Back
Top Bottom