• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

57 Buffalo officers resign from Emergency Response Team after two cops suspended

Deuce

Outer space potato man
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
57 Buffalo officers resign from Emergency Response Team after two cops suspended | TheHill
The entire Buffalo Police Department Emergency Response Team has resigned after the department suspended two officers without pay when a video surfaced showing them pushing over a 75-year-old protester.
Every last cop on that squad resigned. (from the squad, not the police force) They didn't resign in outrage over the treatment of that old man. They resigned because those two ****head cops got disciplined for their actions. ALL OF THEM. Every cop on the squad.

I think a cop who quits a squad for a reason like this is a bad cop. Quitting in solidarity with brutality makes you a bad cop. If most cops are good cops, what insane coincidence put fifty-seven bad cops into the same unit?

We keep trying to tell ourselves this is just a few bad apples. I think we need to accept the fact that this just isn't true. The good cops have been either intimidate into silence or driven off the force entirely.

All cops are bad.

57 Buffalo officers resign from Emergency Response Team after two cops suspended | TheHill

Every last cop on that squad resigned. (from the squad, not the police force) They didn't resign in outrage over the treatment of that old man. They resigned because those two ****head cops got disciplined for their actions. ALL OF THEM. Every cop on the squad.

I think a cop who quits a squad for a reason like this is a bad cop. Quitting in solidarity with brutality makes you a bad cop. If most cops are good cops, what insane coincidence put fifty-seven bad cops into the same unit?

We keep trying to tell ourselves this is just a few bad apples. I think we need to accept the fact that this just isn't true. The good cops have been either intimidate into silence or driven off the force entirely.

How dare they lose their right to shove senior citizens to the concrete with impunity? ;)

If the police chief had the authority (and will to run the show) then he/she should suspend them all without pay - but that is likely against the union contract which makes accepting "special duty" an option. The voters should demand that the police union be dissolved and/or a new police chief be elected.

How dare they lose their right to shove senior citizens to the concrete with impunity? ;)

If the police chief had the authority (and will to run the show) then he/she should suspend them all without pay - but that is likely against the union contract which makes accepting "special duty" an option. The voters should demand that the police union be dissolved and/or a new police chief be elected.

Aside from the simple fact that Buffalo needs them, it's unlikely people are going to vote them out. Buffalo isn't that big; people know them; it's a lousy job so there has to be more to the story. The senior citizen that the two officers shoved to the ground was white, so we can rule out white cop racism. What we can't rule out are a lot of other factors that have left these responders fed up. I don't know what the factors are, but I do know there's more to this story. It may be pay; it may be conditons; it may be comrades that understand exhaustion and the limits of any human being having people yell in their faces. I don't know. What I do know is that when you see this many men and women resign from that duty, there is as reason, and I believe a very human reason. Thanks!!

Why dont you go join? There are lots of openings. Unfortunately you would have to more than just the moral preening you do here.

Aside from the simple fact that Buffalo needs them, it's unlikely people are going to vote them out. Buffalo isn't that big; people know them; it's a lousy job so there has to be more to the story. The senior citizen that the two officers shoved to the ground was white, so we can rule out white cop racism. What we can't rule out are a lot of other factors that have left these responders fed up. I don't know what the factors are, but I do know there's more to this story. It may be pay; it may be conditons; it may be comrades that understand exhaustion and the limits of any human being having people yell in their faces. I don't know. What I do know is that when you see this many men and women resign from that duty, there is as reason, and I believe a very human reason. Thanks!!

Oh well, if the cop was frustrated then forget it. Totally fine giving an elderly man a concussion.

There is a very human reason those cops resigned: they think it's unfair to punish them.

Why dont you go join? There are lots of openings. Unfortunately you would have to more than just the moral preening you do here.

Oh look, the "libertarian" once again expresses absolutely no criticism of the government brutalizing a citizen for no goddamned reason.

It's obvious that the police systems I've seen are corrupt. Officers within the unit that don't commit illegal actions do know of officers who do, and don't turn them in. Until the police forces "police" themselves, they are part of the problem.

If the reaction to someone *gasp* yelling at them is to shove them to the concrete (backwards) and falsely claim that they just tripped and fell then they are simply not suited to be a police officer. Those who disagree with that are also not suited to be on a police force anywhere.

Oh look, the "libertarian" once again expresses absolutely no criticism of the government brutalizing a citizen for no goddamned reason.

Oh look, the commie cant answer a simple question.

Oh look, the commie cant answer a simple question.

You're trying to make me the subject. It's deflection, you're trying to defend these officers. I assume you also think they did nothing wrong.

You're trying to make me the subject. It's deflection, you're trying to defend these officers. I assume you also think they did nothing wrong.

Im simply pointing out that there are 57 job openings in Buffalo that would help get you out of moms basement.

Im simply pointing out that there are 57 job openings in Buffalo that would help get you out of moms basement.

Since you do not intend to discuss the thread subject, I'll just let the mods handle you from here.

Off you go.

Sit Ubu Sit

Did you see the video? The officers were ordered to clear the area. They were moving forward in a line to do so. The guy wanted to chat while they were trying to move the line, and they pushed him in the direction he was supposed to go. It wasn't even a hard push. The man tripped as he stepped backwards and fell. They didn't shove him or knock him to the ground on purpose. They weren't trying to hurt him. It was a tragic accident.

I don't blame the group for resigning. The situation is tough enough, and police are not being supported by their cities. They are being given mixed instructions, and have to allow people to spit and throw objects at them. They're trying to do an impossible job.

As I understand it, they did not resign from the police force just the special unit they are on. So a most likely a drop in pay

Those who resigned are bad cops.

They didn't quit the police department, they quit the "Huttt, hutt" ERT team... All are still receiving their full paycheck from the kind citizens of Buffalo...

Buffalo has the 10th highest crime rate in the nation.
Before I criticize the police, I have some questions.
What was the old man doing? Why didn’t he obey orders to move back?
Why did the old man put his hands on the officer?
The same tactics were used in other cities to move crowds back. I don’t believe the police ask everyone’s age before pushing them back.
The guy should never have placed his hands on the officer.

Have you seen the video? I haven't so I can't make an informed decision. Maybe you have the link to the complete video?

That's because you have not idea what you are talking about... They quit because their UNION won't pay for their defense...

Screen Shot 2020-06-05 at 5.35.22 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-06-05 at 5.35.35 PM.jpg

accept every one of the 57 emergency response team resignations
strip the 57 of the special perks enjoyed as a response team member
if there is a need to replace police officers who decline to be on the response team with new hires, then terminate from the last hired first and continue policing the city

Did you see the video? The officers were ordered to clear the area. They were moving forward in a line to do so. The guy wanted to chat while they were trying to move the line, and they pushed him in the direction he was supposed to go. It wasn't even a hard push. The man tripped as he stepped backwards and fell. They didn't shove him or knock him to the ground on purpose. They weren't trying to hurt him. It was a tragic accident.

I don't blame the group for resigning. The situation is tough enough, and police are not being supported by their cities. They are being given mixed instructions, and have to allow people to spit and throw objects at them. They're trying to do an impossible job.

They shoved a very old man hard enough to knock him down.

If they're not tough enough to handle an old man, they shouldn't ever have been cops in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom