• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

538 announces Senate forecast

George50

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
“Democrats are slight favorites to regain control of the Senate, according to the FiveThirtyEight Senate forecast, which launched today. But the map is wide open, with at least a dozen competitive races — none of which are certain pickups for Democrats — including some states where Democrats are playing defense.

In fact, while it’s possible that Democrats will wind up controlling 54 seats or perhaps even more, the most likely outcome is a much more closely divided chamber, including the possibility of a 50/50 split in which control of the Senate would be determined by whether the vice president is Kamala Harris or Mike Pence. (Joe Biden and Harris currently have a 76 percent chance of winning the presidential race, according to our forecast.1)”

Here is the announcement article:

And here is the current forecast:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

“Democrats are slight favorites to regain control of the Senate, according to the FiveThirtyEight Senate forecast, which launched today. But the map is wide open, with at least a dozen competitive races — none of which are certain pickups for Democrats — including some states where Democrats are playing defense.

In fact, while it’s possible that Democrats will wind up controlling 54 seats or perhaps even more, the most likely outcome is a much more closely divided chamber, including the possibility of a 50/50 split in which control of the Senate would be determined by whether the vice president is Kamala Harris or Mike Pence. (Joe Biden and Harris currently have a 76 percent chance of winning the presidential race, according to our forecast.1)”

Colorado will definitely be a pick up for Democrats.

If it is 50/50, Mitt Romney will mean it actually is 51 Democrats and 49 Republicans.

Colorado will definitely be a pick up for Democrats.

the ones most likely to flip are Arizona, Colorado, Maine, and north carolina to the Democrates, and Alabama to the Republicans. Iowa has shown a marked improvement for the Democrats too, an South Carolina is giving Lindsay Graham the sshock of his political career right now (it's tied in the polls, something that I thought would be unheard of 6 months ago). He's still very likely to win.. but dang.

the ones most likely to flip are Arizona, Colorado, Maine, and north carolina to the Democrates, and Alabama to the Republicans. Iowa has shown a marked improvement for the Democrats too, an South Carolina is giving Lindsay Graham the sshock of his political career right now (it's tied in the polls, something that I thought would be unheard of 6 months ago). He's still very likely to win.. but dang.
there is a growing unrest here about the way he treated those who needed help during the pandemic..his Over my dead body will ring in our ears for a long time to come. Not just that...some of us are fatigued with him...Graham has been in office since !994. Time is up for him. He has had 26 years and here are the facts on South Carolina.
We are 43rd in average income
In 2014, the South Carolina Supreme Court ruled that South Carolina had failed to provide a minimally adequate education to children in all parts of the state as required by the constitution.
The National average for the SAT is 1490...in South Carolina it is 1442.
Only 38% of our population has any college education at all
In Crime we rank 46 and opportunity 41...

So, as you see, he has done little to help South Carolina....and he has had plenty of time.

If it is 50/50, Mitt Romney will mean it actually is 51 Democrats and 49 Republicans.

Mitt Romney is one of the few Republicans left. The rest are right wing nut Trumpers.

The Republican Party has gone off the rails to the radical right. A centrist can’t even get through a primary today. Actual centrist Republicans like Mitt Romney have become outcasts. Just a few years ago Republicans were sane enough to nominate Mitt to be President. All those MAGA hats must give people a lobotomy.

there is a growing unrest here about the way he treated those who needed help during the pandemic..his Over my dead body will ring in our ears for a long time to come. Not just that...some of us are fatigued with him...Graham has been in office since !994. Time is up for him. He has had 26 years and here are the facts on South Carolina.
In 2014, the South Carolina Supreme Court ruled that South Carolina had failed to provide a minimally adequate education to children in all parts of the state as required by the constitution.

So, as you see, he has done little to help South Carolina....and he has had plenty of time.
I am not a Miss Lindsay fan
However, what you are presenting is failed state government

I am not a Miss Lindsay fan
However, what you are presenting is failed state government
one that he should have been addressing. Lindsey was part of that state government before he became part of Washington. Also, as a representative of South Carolina he is there in Washington to further the interests of his state, he has failed to do that. Also, yes, all of us know he is gay, he has been in the closet his whole life in fear of backlash from the so called evangelical right.

I don't believe any of these polls...

U.S. senators have very little influence over crime and even less on education.

Mitt Romney is one of the few Republicans left. The rest are right wing nut Trumpers.

The Republican Party has gone off the rails to the radical right. A centrist can’t even get through a primary today. Actual centrist Republicans like Mitt Romney have become outcasts. Just a few years ago Republicans were sane enough to nominate Mitt to be President. All those MAGA hats must give people a lobotomy.

Eight years ago Democrats were horribly slandering Romney and his wife when he was running for president. Yet he says a few things opposing President Trump and he (like McCain was) becomes their new darling.

Eight years ago Democrats were horribly slandering Romney and his wife when he was running for president. Yet he says a few things opposing President Trump and he (like McCain was) becomes their new darling.
I never slandered Romney. I didn't slander McCain either, in fact my vote didn't go for McCain, it went for George W Bush...hmmm

U.S. senators have very little influence over crime and even less on education.
he was a local first...he did nothing then either...in fact, during that time, we were dead last in pretty much everything. He was a member of the South Carolina legislature then..what did he do? Nothing...but spend time at his home in Central on the taxpayer's dime.

So, while you can claim he has no power locally over crime or education, he does...it is called federal funding...and also involvement locally

I'm showing 48 each, with 4 toss up states. And, I would not bet on a single one of them going R or D. They are too close to call.

As far as changing scenery: Currently red SC and GA are not in the bag. And, don't count out Jones in Alabama, just yet. Tubberville is turning out to be a moron of epic proportion.

he was a local first...he did nothing then either...in fact, during that time, we were dead last in pretty much everything. He was a member of the South Carolina legislature then..what did he do? Nothing...but spend time at his home in Central on the taxpayer's dime.

So, while you can claim he has no power locally over crime or education, he does...it is called federal funding...and also involvement locally

One senator has a very limited ability to direct federal funding to his particular state.

Doesn’t change the fact that the Republican Party have swung so far to the radical right that their presidential nominee from a few years ago is now an outcast.

Would love to see that duplicitous prick given the heave ho

Doesn’t change the fact that the Republican Party have swung so far to the radical right that their presidential nominee from a few years ago is now an outcast.

How has the Republican Party "swung to the right"? Pretty sure that's simply a myth the Democrats and their allies in the media are driving.

How has the Republican Party "swung to the right"? Pretty sure that's simply a myth the Democrats and their allies in the media are driving.

Socially? The GOP has become very far right.

Fiscally? Well, that's another story...

How can you even ask that question with a straight face? When a party’s last two presidential nominees (Romney and McCain) are considered so far left that they are considered outcasts the party has moved way to the right. You people call them RINOs, but in fact the opposite is true. Pretty sure you are either not paying attention or are just in denial.

I would like to see Trumpists lose the Senate.

Socially? The GOP has become very far right.

How? For at least the last 40 years (1980) the Republican Party has been against the nationwide right to an elective abortion. Against illegal immigration. Against societal acceptance of deviant sexuality.

Back
Top Bottom