• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

53 of 100 US Senators are currently 65 or older - Is that OK ?

?

• Total voters
I think there should be an age cap of 65 to 70 to run for political office such as President or Senator or Governor.

I think very old people should rather serve out their retirement rather than being senile and in political office.

Most of these old people have no grasp of what concerns young people these days (climate change, racism, poverty) and they live in their 1950s/1960s mindset.

These fossils in office (Biden, Trump, Pelosi, Feinstein, Grassley, Turtle-Mitch) do no good to anyone.

I think there should be an age cap of 65 to 70 to run for political office such as President or Senator or Governor.

I think very old people should rather serve out their retirement rather than being senile and in political office.

Most of these old people have no grasp of what concerns young people these days (climate change, racism, poverty) and they live in their 1950s/1960s mindset.
Agism.

You realize very few old people suffer from senility right?

Term limits is the answer...

Term limits is the answer...
We already have term limits, we call them elections.

If the people of a state think their senator is doing poor job they can pick somone else.

On the other hand if they like their senator and think s/he is doing a good job, why shouldn't they have the option to reelect them?

Last edited:
Given the Latin root word of senator, it's hardly surprising.

And yet they are still out of touch with the young people of today and the working-class. They only cling to power for decades in the Senate without ever having worked a normal job.
"They" are?

All 53 of them?

What makes you think many of them haven't worked a normal job?

What makes you think all 53 of them are out of touch with young people of today?

Ever consider that young people are out of touch with the older people of today? That they have far less experience?

We already gave term limits, we call them elections.

If the people of a state think their senator is doing poor job they can pick somone else.

On the other hand if they like their senator and ghthink s/he is doing a good job, why shouldn't they have the option to reelect them?

Two terms, twelve years is enough for senators under age 65.
Why? Because being a politcian shouldn't be a career goal.
IOW, give someone else a chance to serve their country.

The thinking is that many lawmakers view the work as a career and not a temporary assignment, and therefore spend much of their time posturing, raising money for their re-election campaigns and running for office instead of focusing on the important issues of the day. Those who favor term limits say they would remove the intense focus on politics and place it back on policy.

Again with populist crap.

You think that in a nation with a population of a third of a billion, being a politician doesn't require a particular skill set?

We can just poke our finger onto a random name in an old-fashioned phone book or hire "Joe the Plumber" and they'll fix everything?

And yet they are still out of touch with the young people of today and the working-class. They only cling to power for decades in the Senate without ever having worked a normal job.
I think some of them have worked "regular jobs," are businessmen, etc. Of course, being a US senator is more work than a lot of people think. I don't think term limits per se are a good idea because it's a job you are going to constantly get better at, learning more about subjects and who you can call on for a deal...

But I agree with people getting out of touch after awhile. I'm 67 and the world has definitely moved way way past me.

Then don't vote for anyone after two terms if that's how you feel.

If I think my two term senator is doing a great job why shouldn't I have the option of voting for him again?

Why do you want to limit people's choices?

Why do you think experience in a job is a bad thing?

Often times the experienced employee with decades of experience does a better job, knows more about the job, and is more effective, then employees in their first decade are.

I think some of them have worked "regular jobs," are businessmen, etc. Of course, being a US senator is more work than a lot of people think. I don't think term limits per se are a good idea because it's a job you are going to constantly get better at, learning more about subjects and who you can call on for a deal...

But I agree with people getting out of touch after awhile. I'm 67 and the world has definitely moved way way past me.

The conservative mindset believes that getting better at that job makes you evil, but billionaires getting richer makes those billionaires good.

If I think my two term senator is doing a great job why shouldn't I have the option of voting for him again?

Often times the experienced employee with decades of experience does a better job, knows more about the job, and is more effective, then employees in their first decade are.

Populists loathe expertise in any discipline. This is known.

That's why they were lining up for fishbowl cleaner and horse paste last year.

Thanks for your expressed permission.

How about you actually read what I wrote?

Good for you.

You're on a roll....

A certain number of people are naturally stupid. They can't help it, they came unequipped.

Populism is a way to make lots of smart people stupid.

A certain number of people are naturally stupid. They can't help it, they came unequipped.

Populism is a way to make lots of smart people stupid.
I never knew populism had so many facets.

Back
Top Bottom