• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

52% Americans favor Bush Impeachment!

Should President Bush be Impeached?

• Yes.

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • No.

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

Billo_Really

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
More Americans favor impeaching Bush, poll saysToday's topic: Domestic spyingBy Jim PuzzangheraKNIGHT RIDDER WASHINGTON BUREAUWASHINGTON -

The word "impeachment" is popping up increasingly these days and not just off the lips of liberal activists spouting predictable bumper-sticker slogans.
After the unfounded claims about Iraq's weapons of mass destruction and recent news of domestic spying without warrants, mainstream politicians and ordinary voters are talking openly about the possibility that President Bush could be impeached. So is at least one powerful senator, Arlen Specter, R-Pa., chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee.

So far, it's just talk. With Republicans controlling Congress, and memories still fresh of the bitter fight and national distraction inflamed by former President Clinton's 1998 impeachment, even the launching of an official inquiry is a very long shot.

But a poll released last week by Zogby International showed 52 percent of American adults thought Congress should consider impeaching Bush if he wiretapped U.S. citizens without court approval, including 59 percent of independents and 23 percent of Republicans. (The survey had a margin of error of 2.9 percentage points.)

Given those numbers, impeachment could become an issue in this fall's congressional elections, and dramatically raise the stakes. If Democrats win control of the House of Representatives, a leading proponent of starting an official impeachment inquiry, Rep. John Conyers, D-Mich., would become chairman of the House committee that could pursue it.

Conyers introduced legislation last month to create a special panel to investigate the Bush administration's alleged manipulation of pre-Iraq war intelligence and "make recommendations regarding grounds for possible impeachment."

He's not the only one dropping the "I word." A day later, Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-Calif., wrote to four presidential scholars asking whether domestic spying by the National Security Agency was an impeachable offense.
Former Vice President Al Gore said last week that the NSA wiretapping could be an impeachable offense.

Bush contends that he holds authority as commander in chief to order the eavesdropping on international calls of terrorism suspects without court approval. He also claims that Congress' resolution authorizing him to use force against terrorists implicitly authorized his NSA spying.

But a 1978 law requires court-issued warrants for wiretapping people in the United States. And many in Congress, along with the non-partisan Congressional Research Service, said Bush is on shaky legal ground in ordering NSA spying without warrants as required by the 1978 Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act.

Tucker Bounds, a Republican National Committee official, said impeachment talk is "nonsense."

But asked Jan. 15 what recourse there would be if Bush broke or ignored the law in authorizing wiretaps, Senate Judiciary Committee chair Specter mentioned impeachment.

"I'm not suggesting remotely that there's any basis, but you're asking, really, theory, what's the remedy?" he said on ABC's This Week. "Impeachment is the remedy."

Rep. Lynn Woolsey, D-Calif., said of a Bush impeachment, "I'm not saying it would happen, but I think it should be explored." She was one of a handful of House members to co-sponsor Conyers' bill, which is unlikely to get a hearing or vote as long as Republicans rule the House of Representatives.

Stanford University historian Jack Rakove, a constitutional expert, said breaking the law on domestic spying would qualify as an impeachable offense, but that Congress should be hesitant to pursue it. The Clinton impeachment was a major distraction for the nation, he said. Some have suggested it hurt the U.S. effort against al-Qaida before the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.

Despite such concerns, some liberal activists say it's time to impeach Bush. Bob Fertik, president of Democrats.com, has formed ImpeachPAC to fund campaigns of congressional candidates who support impeachment. It has raised more than $52,000 in 10 weeks.

"If the truth comes out," Fertik said, "there will be an open-and-shut case for a high crime of breaking the law."

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/news/13705324.htm
Bush will leave his Presidency in disgrace.

Do you think he should by impeached?

Billo_Really said:
Bush will leave his Presidency in disgrace.

Do you think he should by impeached?

52% favor impeachment....if he broke the law. Sorry, billo, just keeping you honest. Keep us posted on the disgrace thing, okay?

Originally posted by KCConservative:
52% favor impeachment....if he broke the law. Sorry, billo, just keeping you honest. Keep us posted on the disgrace thing, okay?
I'll admit the disgrace thing is my personal feeling on this matter.

Originally posted by FinnMacCool
Yeah but he won't be cause nobody has the balls to do it.
I know Congress has no balls, but who won't say what?

Then 52% of Americans are fools.
What we do need is far greater political involvement from far more men. Did anyone in Congress have the balls to speak out, or did they just "go with the flow" ?? These are the ones who must be voted out, but then the system is in such a need for reform....

I am not a GHWB supporter, I think him to be of limited intelligence, but at least he seems to care about his country and he seems to be honest...

For those of you that want him impeached....

You know that if he is, Dick Cheney, not John Kerry, will be President -- right?

I mean, -I'd- be OK w/ Cheney as President -- but would you?

You now Dick and Bush can both be impeached, in the same series of events too.

libertarian_knight said:
You now Dick and Bush can both be impeached, in the same series of events too.
Shall I hold my breath?:lol:

earthworm said:
Then 52% of Americans are fools.
What we do need is far greater political involvement from far more men. Did anyone in Congress have the balls to speak out, or did they just "go with the flow" ?? These are the ones who must be voted out, but then the system is in such a need for reform....

I am not a GHWB supporter, I think him to be of limited intelligence, but at least he seems to care about his country and he seems to be honest...

What is it with people who always criticize the president's intelligence?

I find it insulting that people actually think that a president of the USA could have a brevity of intellect. He may not be the most articulate person in speeches, but I don't use his speeches as a litmus test for his intelligence level.

SixStringHero said:
[/B]

What is it with people who always criticize the president's intelligence?

I find it insulting that people actually think that a president of the USA could have a brevity of intellect. He may not be the most articulate person in speeches, but I don't use his speeches as a litmus test for his intelligence level.

Without a vision or a platform or even an emerging leader, it's all they are left with.

KCConservative said:
Without a vision or a platform or even an emerging leader, it's all they are left with.

I don't agree with the president on many issues, and I'm none partisan, but whether I agree with him or not is irrelevant.

I don't think the mans an idiot like so many claim, he's just not articulate.
It's just an insulting notion to me that anyone could think that a president could be an idiot.

KCConservative said:
Shall I hold my breath?:lol:

By All means, go ahead. Hold your breath until the impeachement of all administration officials is complete, even after that too. go ahead, start holding, keep holding, that's it. Good job, keep holding, they are not impeached yet, good work, keep holding, good, if you feel light headed that's ok, keep holding, great, keep it up, wash rinse repeat.

libertarian_knight said:
By All means, go ahead. Hold your breath until the impeachement of all administration officials is complete, even after that too. go ahead, start holding, keep holding, that's it. Good job, keep holding, they are not impeached yet, good work, keep holding, good, if you feel light headed that's ok, keep holding, great, keep it up, wash rinse repeat.
You talk as if I'm going to be holding it a long time. I tend to agree.

Originally posted by M14 Shooter

You know that if he is, Dick Cheney, not John Kerry, will be President -- right?

I'm no expert on this but I was hoping we could vote them both out.

KCConservative said:
You talk as if I'm going to be holding it a long time. I tend to agree.

No, actually, the impeachment may take a long time, you holding your breath, shouldn't take as long as that. It's like staking a long walk, of a short pier. The ends are invairably met before the objective achieved.

M14 Shooter said:

Just because We would have Dick for president is no reason not to procede if Bush broke the law. That goes against the checks and balances set up by our constitution.

Certainly I think the country deserves an investigation, headed by an independent special prosecutor. If Bush, as he claims, has done nothing wrong, then he has nothing to fear.

M14 Shooter said:

Not if he is impeached too, and he should be.

Speaker of the House Hasert, while flawed, is better than these two clowns.

Back
Top Bottom