• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

51% Favor Government Shutdown Until Congress Cuts Health Care Funding

trfjr

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Some conservative Republicans in both the House and Senate are refusing to approve a budget unless it slows or stops funding for the health care law, but the president and most congressional Democrats are adamantly opposed to any such cuts. However, 51% of voters favor having a partial government shutdown until Democrats and Republicans agree on what spending for the health care law to cut. Forty percent (40%) would rather avoid a government shutdown by authorizing spending for the health care law at existing levels.

51% Favor Government Shutdown Until Congress Cuts Health Care Funding - Rasmussen Reports™

majority of America has the Republicans back .
this is why Harry Reid is scared ****less and will pull every trick in the book to keep the house debt ceiling bill to ever reach the senate floor because he might not have enough opposing votes for it not to pass. remember there is an election coming in 2014 there is a lot of democrat seats in red and purple states that will be challenged and they will go on record for the 2nd time in support of Obama care if they oppose the house bill and will lose their seat for supporting such an unpopular law

Last edited:
bbs-9.jpg

"Yeah see. You democrats better defund the Affordable Health Keh Act, see. It would be too bad if a lot of kids lose dare food stamps and unemployed paraplegics lose dare medicaid. Just defund the health keh act and no one will get hoit."

are you serious you want to pass on a CNN poll as a reliable unbais poll you got to do better then that

they just asked who would get blamed not if they are right or wrong for doing so

and it is almost 2 weeks old

There is no indication that CNN's scientific polling is somehow biased. Considering you cited Rasmussen, which is often considered the most right-leaning of pollsters, crying bias is rich.

Government by loon polls...With skewed questioning...
What happened when 91% favored clearing a filibuster?

51% Favor Government Shutdown Until Congress Cuts Health Care Funding - Rasmussen Reports™

this is why Harry Reid is scared ****less and will pull every trick in the book to keep the house debt ceiling bill to ever reach the senate floor because he might not have enough opposing votes for it not to pass. remember there is an election coming in 2014 there is a lot of democrat seats in red and purple states that will be challenged and they will go on record for the 2nd time in support of Obama care if they oppose the house bill and will lose their seat for supporting such an unpopular law

Very bad reporting by Rasmussen. The summary says "51% of voters favor having a partial government shutdown until Democrats and Republicans agree on what spending for the health care law to cut." I'm not even sure what this means. It could mean that they want the GOP and Democrats to agree to no cuts.

Here's the question. This is a real stinker for Rasmussen.

5* Some members of Congress refuse to approve a budget unless it slows or stops funding for the new health care law. Would you rather have Congress avoid a government shutdown by authorizing spending for the health care law at existing levels or would you rather have a partial government shutdown until Democrats and Republicans agree on what spending for that law to cut?

Very bad reporting by Rasmussen. The summary says "51% of voters favor having a partial government shutdown until Democrats and Republicans agree on what spending for the health care law to cut." I'm not even sure what this means. It could mean that they want the GOP and Democrats to agree to no cuts.

5* Some members of Congress refuse to approve a budget unless it slows or stops funding for the new health care law. Would you rather have Congress avoid a government shutdown by authorizing spending for the health care law at existing levels or would you rather have a partial government shutdown until Democrats and Republicans agree on what spending for that law to cut?

I think the term "until Democrats and Republicans agree" throws me off. I would support a full government shut down if I could see that happen.

you might have a point but if you couple this polls results to the Obama care disapproval polls this poll doesn't seam to far off the mark

you might have a point but if you couple this polls results to the Obama care disapproval polls this poll doesn't seam to far off the mark

Given that most Americans don't seem to know what is in Obamacare and most seem to also think it has already completely gone into effect, I struggle to understand why "Obamacare disapproval polls" are really relevant. I would say the GOP has won at getting people worried about ANY change in the health care system. It could be for the best and most Americans would still disapprove of it simply because it is a change.

If they want cuts to health care spending -cut the free ride for life that many of our politicians get. They can get medicare when they are of age just like the rest of us,

LOL....I predict that in 2014 the Democrats will win both houses of congress and then we can do a few things this president has wanted to do!

Do you folks not realize that after ObamaCare was law and everybody in America knew it was law that the president was re-elected in the middle of the worst recession since the 30's? That was when the American people spoke about ObamaCare. So far the Republican house of representatives have looked like "Do Nothing Idiots!"

LOL....I predict that in 2014 the Democrats will win both houses of congress and then we can do a few things this president has wanted to do!

Do you folks not realize that after ObamaCare was law and everybody in America knew it was law that the president was re-elected in the middle of the worst recession since the 30's? That was when the American people spoke about ObamaCare. So far the Republican house of representatives have looked like "Do Nothing Idiots!"

because they believed the lies and now when the truth has come to light like people insurance premiums have gone up, they have been laid off, put on part time, the company have dropped their health insurance they have quickly come off the Obama Koolaid drunk with a very bad hangover and realize they have been played as a fool

every poll shows the hate for Obama care every poll and not just by a little by 10 points or more

Public Approval of Health Care Law

Rasmussen Reports* 9/14 - 9/15 1000 LV 43 53 Against/Oppose +10
ABC News/Wash Post 9/12 - 9/15 1004 A 42 52 Against/Oppose +10
CNN/Opinion Research* 9/6 - 9/8 1022 A 39 57 Against/Oppose +18
FOX News* 9/6 - 9/8 900 RV 35 54 Against/Oppose +19
NBC News/Wall St. Jrnl 9/5 - 9/8 1000 A 31 44 Against/Oppose +13
USA Today/Pew Research 9/4 - 9/8 1506 A 42 53 Against/Oppose +11

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/obama_and_democrats_health_care_plan-1130.html

and you really think democrats will keep the senate if they vote to keep funding the train wreck

Last edited:

er, no. That's when the American people said they didn't like Mitt Romney because he was rich, and a surprising number of Democrats came out and said that they were willing to come out again to vote for Obama rather than have their peers find out they hadn't. Obacamare continued to be a net-drag on Obama throughout the election season.

But good luck with that 2014 prediction. 6 years prior to 2014 was 2008; so you are defending a Senate Class that was the result of an overwhelming Democrat wave.... meaning you'll have to recreate those electorates to keep them. So, yeah. Good luck with that.

because they believed the lies and now when the truth has come to light like people insurance premiums have gone up, they have been laid off, put on part time, the company have dropped their health insurance they have quickly come off the Obama Koolaid drunk with a very bad hangover and realize they have been played as a fool

every poll shows the hate for Obama care every poll and not just by a little by 10 points or more

RealClearPolitics - Election Other - Public Approval of Health Care Law

and you really think democrats will keep the senate if they vote to keep funding the train wreck

The problem is that "the Government" is bigger than "Obamacare". And so the story will become about "the government", not "Obamacare".

I'm with Krauthammer on this one - this is a bad strategy.

RealClearPolitics - Election Other - Public Approval of Health Care Law

Bull****! We will not only keep the senate, we will win the house. Well.....that is unless the Republicans can figure out a way to cheat or keep Democrats away from the polls....which is what they're very good at.

These polls......do they always include a proportionate number of Blacks, Hispanics, Gays, Seniors, Women, Young, Disabled, Poor etc. You know.....after Dick Morris and Karl Rove for Fox News predicted a landslide victory for Romney, these are the demographics he lost? You people should wake up. I was a Republican for thirty years and I'm damn sure glad I'm not one now.

Last edited:
The problem is that "the Government" is bigger than "Obamacare". And so the story will become about "the government", not "Obamacare".

it will get those senate democrats for the 2nd time voting to support Obama care the train wreck. I can see the republican senate campaign commercials already they are going to beat those democrats bloody with the Obama care bat

A government shut down will effect hardly anyone Obama care has already negativly effected millions

Last edited:
Bull****! We will not only keep the senate, we will win the house. Well.....that is unless the Republicans can figure out a way to cheat or keep Democrats away from the polls....which is what they're very good at.

147516023_delusions_answer_2_xlarge.jpg

Given that most Americans don't seem to know what is in Obamacare and most seem to also think it has already completely gone into effect, I struggle to understand why "Obamacare disapproval polls" are really relevant. I would say the GOP has won at getting people worried about ANY change in the health care system. It could be for the best and most Americans would still disapprove of it simply because it is a change.

Not even the lawyers/politicians who cooked it up know everything that's in it.
Any statute that takes over 2 million words to enact and regulate is no good for anyone...except lawyers and politicians.

As long as the Obamacare statutes are, its implementing regulations are now five times its length. With the publication of two new regulations in the Federal Register on February 27, 2012, we calculate Obamacare regulations to contain 2,163,744 words2 compared to 425,116 words in the Obamacare statutes. That’s a million words longer than the last time we wrote about the length of Obamacare regulations last April.

Past calculations of Obamcare's length focus on the number of pages it contains. But, as any high school or college student can tell you, the number of pages depends on font size, line spacing, and margins. So, some have calculated Obamacare to be over 2,000 pages long. This was true when it was in bill form. But now that it has been signed into law, its statute form is just 961 pages.3

But because Obamacare has the same number of words no matter how you format it, word count is a more accurate way of calculating its length.

Just how long is 2,163,744 words?

The epic novel War and Peace is only 560,000 words long.

Atlas Shrugged weighs in at 645,000 words.

The Obamacare regulations appear to have even eclipsed what Wikipedia considers the longest published novel in either the Latin or Cyrillic alphabets. Artamène, or Cyrus the Great (in French: Artamène ou le Grand Cyrus) is a ten-volume, 13,095 page novel containing 2,100,000+ words.

By our count the King James Version of the Bible contains 830,314 words.4 That makes Obamacare regulations two and a half times as long as the Bible! If you add the text of the Obamacare statutes to its regulations, they are together three times as long as the Bible!

The average reader reads at a rate of 250 to 300 words per minute, but when reading detailed documents such as regulations the rate drops to 200 words per minute.5

At 200 words per minute, the Obamacare Regulations would take 180 hours to read. That’s seven and a half days of non-stop reading; it’s four and a half 40-hour business weeks.

The length of these regulations exemplifies not only the complexities that Obamacare has placed on the medical and insurance communities, but also the need to vigilantly monitor these regulations as they are published. We at ObamacareWatcher.org encourage you to join us as we do just that.

How long are the Obamacare regulations?: 5x the length of the Obamacare statutes | Obamacare Watcher

I enjoy Krauthammer's opinion pieces but when the man starts agreeing with David Brooks I question his judgment. Krauthammer is a blue blood Republican elite who has over the past couple of years shown a bias against the Tea Party. He should probably get out of Washington a little more often to get a clearer perspective.

er, no. That's when the American people said they didn't like Mitt Romney because he was rich, and a surprising number of Democrats came out and said that they were willing to come out again to vote for Obama rather than have their peers find out they hadn't. Obacamare continued to be a net-drag on Obama throughout the election season.

But good luck with that 2014 prediction. 6 years prior to 2014 was 2008; so you are defending a Senate Class that was the result of an overwhelming Democrat wave.... meaning you'll have to recreate those electorates to keep them. So, yeah. Good luck with that.

NO

What amazes me is that the supporters of the wealthy and corporations don't realize that they have been found out by the masses. Republicans losing the popular vote in five of the last six elections should raise a flag. Fox News and most Republicans live in fantasy land and a hermetically sealed bubble. They honestly believe that corporate executives can continue to rake off hundreds of millions each year on the backs of the have nots and never lose their grip. It's not going to happen and right now is the turning point. The take it for granted Republicans are doomed in the present scenario.

Why don't we go back to a time when everybody had a piece of the pie and not just the filthy rich?

3.jpg

Last edited:
NO

What amazes me is that the supporters of the wealthy and corporations don't realize that they have been found out by the masses. Republicans losing the popular vote in five of the last six elections should raise a flag. Fox News and most Republicans live in fantasy land and a hermetically sealed bubble. They honestly believe that corporate executives can continue to rake off hundreds of millions each year on the backs of the have nots and never lose their grip. It's not going to happen and right now is the turning point. The take it for granted Republicans are doomed in the present scenario.

Why don't we go back to a time when everybody had a piece of the pie and not just the filthy rich?

3.jpg

the two largest times of economic expansion this century happened after the JFK cuts and after the Reagan cuts you cant dispute those facts

only reason they was able to have such high tax rates in the 1950s because we where the only major economy left standing after the war it was like being the only store in town and could charge what ever they wanted

Bull****! We will not only keep the senate, we will win the house.
Well.....that is unless the Republicans can figure out a way to cheat or keep Democrats away from the polls....which is what they're very good at.

These polls......do they always include a proportionate number of Blacks, Hispanics, Gays, Seniors, Women, Young, Disabled, Poor etc. You know.....after
Dick Morris and Karl Rove for Fox News predicted a landslide victory for Romney,
these are the demographics he lost? You people should wake up.
I was a Republican for thirty years and I'm damn sure glad I'm not one now

1) lay off the hard drugs - it makes you say dumb things.

2) I don't think Rove predicted a landslide win for Romney.

3) you were a Republican and I was an astronaut. Yeah, and I gave Zuckerberg the idea for Facebook. Yeah ... that's it.

My impression,

The Republicans should rejoice in having this nicely timed option of shutting down the government, should play up the reality that, despite all the calls of gloom and doom, the sequester has given us necessary cuts in government, even gave the boob a chance to take credit for reductions in deficits... and forces a more judicious use of our military, or himself will have to call for defense increases... should he not husband this limited resource better than previous, seeing as the peace prize winner increased our involvement in a conflict deftly neglected under the GW admin [Afghanistan ]...and then the boob went on to get himself, and us, involved in Libya...yet not so much in Mali [ is the president prejudiced or is that wonder only reserved for a Republican if white president?] and was gung- ho just a mere two weeks prior, itching to strike Syria...prior to the red line/chem weapons 1 2 punches we hit ourselves in the mouth with the off the cuff remarkably bad remarks made by our fearless leader and his sketch-etary of state, kerry [ is it just me or is he looking a bit ill of late...maybe I'm just seeing him more on a constant basis and noticing more how he usually might look...but I digress...]...

Yes, the government has shut down plenty of times, no need to worry... get out in front...tell the folks why you are doing it, to cut overreaching expenses and to kill a plan that is like a planned rendezvous of the Hindenburg and the Titantic, oooooohhhh the huuUUuumanity!?!??!!

Also predict exactly how Obama will spin it, or try, to his advantage...even if they are wrong about predicting how they will not be wrong about predicting that he will try to spin it...then there will be heightened attention on the matter to see if the Republicans called it correctly, even if the Rs don't swish it, they can count the basket. And nobody but the diehards wants this barreling down the wrong track train-wreck, obamacare, obvious with so many bailing off the train, the defections on just that side, noticeably unions and the Congress/staff... I mean is this more a mix of Monty Python or Shakespeare in its depth of tragic farce?

Besides, as stated, we have had plenty of govt shutdowns in the past, a couple/few in Reagan years comes to mind...big deal, embrace it, bring American a bit back on kilter, its gotta be done sometime or there just might be trouble, big big touble, in the rapids directly ahead...need to at least steer away from the major boulders...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom