• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

50 top GOP officials: Trump would 'risk our country's national security'

Objective Voice

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
All I can say is :shock:!

Donald Trump's effort to appeal to establishment Republicans suffered another setback on Monday as 50 senior GOP national security officials warned in a new letter that Trump would "risk our country’s national security and well-being.”
The signatories of the letter, which was first reported by The New York Times, all worked in Republican administrations, with many serving as top aides to President George W. Bush. They said none of them would be voting for Trump.

“Trump lacks the character, values, and experience to be President,” they wrote. “He weakens U.S. moral authority as the leader of the free world. He appears to lack basic knowledge about and belief in the U.S. Constitution, U.S. laws, and U.S. institutions, including religious tolerance, freedom of the press, and an independent judiciary.”

Donald Trump is not the answer to America’s daunting challenges and to this crucial election. We are convinced that in the Oval Office, he would be the most reckless President in American history.

Now, to be fair these 50 GOP signatories didn't give Hillary a ringing endorsement either, but they made their views very clear on what they believe a Donald Trump White House might look like and it's not pretty.

You can read the letter here.

Now, to be fair these 50 GOP signatories didn't give Hillary a ringing endorsement either, but they made their views very clear on what they believe a Donald Trump White House might look like and it's not pretty.

Huh.

Well what do you know? They're right.

Something about "Changing the way government does business on behalf of the people " gets career political hacks nervous. They might actually have to go out find real jobs. At half the pay, with Obamacare to boot!

Oh! The horrors!

This isn't going to be a problem because Trump will never be president of the USA.

Wait and see.

Can these people really believe that our nation would be more secure with Mrs. Clinton as President?

One of the signatories of that is Michael Chertoff, the co-author of the Patriot Act. THAT guy is not someone I would trust with much of anything.

When was he last time we had a "pretty" white house?

I have a great deal of respect for this effort and for the people who wrote it and signed it. We need more Americans like this between now and election day.

Donald Trump is a threat to America and this must be a central message repeated every day from now until November when he is defeated and that threat can be then gone with the wind.

Senator Susan Collins from Maine last night took a similar step. She joins several other Republican Congresspersons and that list will grow.

It is unfortunate that someone like Romney did not give his assent to a third party effort two months ago so that they could have ballot access in many more states and provide a real alternative for many republican voters. If that had been done, I suspect the final Trump numbers would not even hit 40%.

In a world where people are not brainwashed about their candidate, this would and should make a massive difference. These are 50 people who have experience and credibility. Many of them are responsible for the fact that this country has not seen another 9/11 since 9/11. All of them know national security and homeland security. Their strong opposition to Trump should resonate with anyone. But we all know it won't, because the Trumpkins will naturally attack them and dismiss them.

The Headline should have been:

50 Top GOP #NeverTrump officials.

Nothing new here just more "republicans" throwing the election to Hillary.

There is no limit on what the #NeverTrump gang will do.

How can Hillary be trusted with classified material when she has made it very clear
she is incapable of protecting our national security because of terrible judgement?

In a world where people are not brainwashed about their candidate, this would and should make a massive difference. These are 50 people who have experience and credibility. Many of them are responsible for the fact that this country has not seen another 9/11 since 9/11. All of them know national security and homeland security. Their strong opposition to Trump should resonate with anyone. But we all know it won't, because the Trumpkins will naturally attack them and dismiss them.

Why do they have credibility?

Is it because they were on top of things when Condi got that memo about Bin Laden determined to attack the U.S.?

Is it because those WMD were definitely found in Iraq and thus the entire justification for the war in iraq was vindicated?

Was it because bin Laden was captured in Tora Bora?

Was it because the war in Iraq definitely ended after 6 months like those experts predicted?

Was it because they correctly said that bin Laden wasn't hiding in Pakistan and that Obama was wrong about him hiding there?

Was it because they had to lower military standards and allow gang members in our military because quotas couldn't be met?

Was it because all that nation building in Iraq and not America paid huge dividends?

Was it because al-Malaki proved to be the uniter nobody said he could be?

Was it because so many of our domestic and reserve forces were wasting time in Iraq that the equipment needed for Hurricane Katrina was severly hampered? Yeah, that happened too.

Oh no wait: these "experts" have been literally wrong about everything from day 1 and their incompetence hurt America in a dramatic and shameful way. International and homeland security experts my ass.

Trump threatens the way establishment does buisiness. Its no wonder they continue these calculated attacks on him. They dont care about the general welfare of the country. They care about whats best for them. They rather elect somebody like clinton because even if she holds power for 8yrs they will still be able to grow their bank accounts more than if trump gets into office. Its a shame more people camt see this stuff for what it is

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Aren't these the same clowns that have led us into a stare down with the Russians, blown up the middle east, and gave up the busiest trade route in the world to China?

Yup. Trump is dangerous, all right. To idiot civil servants like these who have served no one well.

Aren't these the same clowns that have led us into a stare down with the Russians, blown up the middle east, and gave up the busiest trade route in the world to China?

Yup. Trump is dangerous, all right. To idiot civil servants like these who have served no one well.

Why do they have credibility?

Is it because they were on top of things when Condi got that memo about Bin Laden determined to attack the U.S.?

Is it because those WMD were definitely found in Iraq and thus the entire justification for the war in iraq was vindicated?

Was it because bin Laden was captured in Tora Bora?

Was it because the war in Iraq definitely ended after 6 months like those experts predicted?

Was it because they correctly said that bin Laden wasn't hiding in Pakistan and that Obama was wrong about him hiding there?

Was it because they had to lower military standards and allow gang members in our military because quotas couldn't be met?

Was it because all that nation building in Iraq and not America paid huge dividends?

Was it because al-Malaki proved to be the uniter nobody said he could be?

Was it because so many of our domestic and reserve forces were wasting time in Iraq that the equipment needed for Hurricane Katrina was severly hampered? Yeah, that happened too.

Oh no wait: these "experts" have been literally wrong about everything from day 1 and their incompetence hurt America in a dramatic and shameful way. International and homeland security experts my ass.

Yep, apparently so.

I wanted to come back to this thread because I came across an Op-Ed in the NY Times that puts a new angle to the "NeverTrump argument. Op-Ed
references the letter signed by the 50 GOP officials but what was most striking was how the author, Mr. James K. Glassman, counters the #NeverTrump...No Vote for Hillary crowd and questions the sanity of those Republican voters who have declared that a Trump presidency would be the "most reckless president in American history,” and yet these same people can't seem to bring themselves to vote for Hillary or any 3rd-party candidate. As the Op-Ed puts it, "It's simple math!":

Through much trial and error, I learned that this is, whether we like it or not, an election between Mr. Trump and Mrs. Clinton, period. And that means that if you want to stop Mr. Trump, you have no choice but to vote for Mrs. Clinton. There’s no sitting this one out.

It’s a matter of simple math. Consider a swing state like Ohio. Assume, for argument’s sake, that there are 3.1 million Trump voters, 3 million Clinton voters and 200,000 voters like me who will never vote for Mr. Trump but have reservations about Mrs. Clinton. If this last group doesn’t vote — or votes for Mr. Johnson, or another third-party candidate — then Mr. Trump wins the state. If the group votes for Mrs. Clinton, then Mr. Trump loses. A vote for Mrs. Clinton neutralizes a vote for Mr. Trump; an abstention allows that Trump vote to stand.

For this reason, I strongly disagree with my fellow Republicans — many of whom I served with in the George W. Bush administration — who say that they won’t vote for Mr. Trump because he’s a threat to the republic, but won’t vote for Mrs. Clinton either because she’ll raise taxes. Neither is appealing, but one is clearly a worse choice than the other.

But there's something else. Ms. Glassman theorizes that:

Defeating Mr. Trump soundly will help save the Republican Party. If he wins, a party built on freedom and internationalism will become entrenched as a party of authoritarianism and isolation, which means that within a few years it will atrophy and die.

So, I wonder how Republicans (mostly conservatives) feel about this. Do you think Mr. Glassman is right or could the Republican Party survive by rebranding itself in Trump's image of nationalism and isolationism?

I dont like any of the 3 of the candidates and may not vote for any them. I flatly reject the idea that me not voting is helping elect anyone. Its horsecral fearmongering. You want my vote give me a candidate that appeals to me or sort it yourselves.

A trump presidency has consequences that come with it but its not going to end life as we know it and tbe same can be said about clinton.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

The Headline should have been:

50 Top GOP #NeverTrump officials.

Nothing new here just more "republicans" throwing the election to Hillary.

There is no limit on what the #NeverTrump gang will do.

How can Hillary be trusted with classified material when she has made it very clear
she is incapable of protecting our national security because of terrible judgement?

Headline should read.... 50 top globalists.. the same republicans that worked with the clintons to push thru nafta
BUT the corrupt media's insane greed has gone too far..... by pushing the muslims that is women's worst nightmare and now they are Finally waking up .. Trump will have a mandate to clean up the media's corruption

Trump would undoubtedly be bad for business as usual in Washington, and in turn for career politicians. That doesn't mean the actions he would take would be good for the country, or anyone, for that matter.

Trump would undoubtedly be bad for business as usual in Washington, and in turn for career politicians. That doesn't mean the actions he would take would be good for the country, or anyone, for that matter.

trump is teddy roosevelt.... both stops the harm of monopolies and GREED... that will bring more inventions.. more competition and more progress.... just think what would have happened if the horse and buggy business bought off the govt to stop the automobile invention... america would have lost both world wars..... TRUMP BRINGS PROGRESS

Back
Top Bottom