• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

50% of Americans want to legalize marijuana

Not to mention shutting down certain crimes around the world that have to do with producing and smuggling it. Our country has a huge problem with drugs, and the world provides them. Marijuana has become normalized while most other drugs are still disgraced. I support the legalization (even though I do not use any drugs) but the only thing the laws do is put minorities and teens in jail.

Rather Bigoted of you......

The poll. How does this poll translate into 50% of Americans support it?
Intro to Stat is beyond the scope of this thread.

If you took the poll at the OWS I would say it owuld be more than 50% support but that doesn't mean Americans feel the same way.
And if I polled chickens, they'd all be "no answer."

297645_160704764019477_100002398648645_320312_1165968705_n.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I support marijuana legalization, but I seriously question these statistics. First, where's harder drugs. Second, where's drug violence? Third, I bet some of those motor vehicle crashes were caused by high drivers.

As was pointed out earlier, it's not really enough of an issue to be a rallying cry.
Well... to some hardcore stoners... its the only issue that matters.

But, thankfully for society, there aren't enough "hardcore" stoners to make it a rallying cry worth serious consideration by the majority of the rest of us.

As was pointed out earlier, it's not really enough of an issue to be a rallying cry.

No, it doesn't seem to be, not even with a virtual war on our southern borders and more prisoners per capita than any other nation, only a presidential candidate no one has heard of is issuing that rallying cry. Too bad. I suppose it will be a while yet before sanity prevails.

But, thankfully for society, there aren't enough "hardcore" stoners to make it a rallying cry worth serious consideration by the majority of the rest of us.

good to see a leo show up to defend the ability to prosecute victimless criminals

they are much easier to identify and apprehend than the real perps who actually inflict harm

good to see a leo show up to defend the ability to prosecute victimless criminals
they are much easier to identify and apprehend than the real perps who actually inflict harm
I guess you haven't read the rest of the thread. Too bad.

Personal attack much?

I guess I could see where you are going with this, as my punctuation didn't allow for the proper emphasis.

I agree marijuana should be legalized...

I was saying that Thankfully society doesn't have enough hardcore stoners not because I don't want it to be legalized, but because a society with that many hardcore stoners isn't one I want to live in.

By "hardcore" I mean people who only care about working that Burger King job to earn enough money to cover the costs of more pot and the newest video game...... but mostly more pot.

Those whose lives revolve around smoking pot, and whose only contribution to society is to labor for meager wages in order to afford said pot.

Personal attack much?

I guess I could see where you are going with this, as my punctuation didn't allow for the proper emphasis.

I agree marijuana should be legalized...

I was saying that Thankfully society doesn't have enough hardcore stoners not because I don't want it to be legalized, but because a society with that many hardcore stoners isn't one I want to live in.

By "hardcore" I mean people who only care about working that Burger King job to earn enough money to cover the costs of more pot and the newest video game...... but mostly more pot.

Those whose lives revolve around smoking pot, and whose only contribution to society is to labor for meager wages in order to afford said pot.

I'm trying to figure out how this statement:

could be punctuated to mean what the statement above means.

But, whatever.

I agree that pot needs to be legalized, and that a society made up of hard core stoners wold leave something to be desired.

Normally, I don’t bother with these threads because beating a dead horse isn’t my idea of fun…but I suppose every now and again it’s a good idea to clear the resin out of my synapses. Maybe someone will get a kick out of my muddled meandering. :shrug: Here’s my take on the matter:

No society will ever have everybody contributing 110% of their effort into economic productivity (probably for mental health reasons). Nobody wants to live in poverty, but some just don’t have the wherewithal or are just too ****ed up in the head to strive for and achieve more. Sure, society should look down on such people with condescending disapprobation, but they’re hardly worth of scorn and malice; somebody needs to flip the burgers and mop the floors. Four decades of beating them with sanctions has shown they are not going to change their ways, and that spending even more time and money preventing them from self-medicating is unlikely to yield net gains for society.

I can understand disapproval towards stoners and apathy about legalizing pot, but I find fault with those who actively endorse our society squandering further resources and inflicting more suffering for gains that are nominal at best. That “Punish the sinner” mentality is all too often hypocritical bull**** used to exculpate the foibles of those who hold it. Honorable people pity those covered in filth; dishonorable people push them further into the mud so they can feel better about the specks of dirt on their own clothing.

Back
Top Bottom