• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

5 Years ago today we were discussing....

Serenity

Stay Human
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
EU Forum.jpg

I took a look back earlier to see where we were at 5 years ago. It seems like only yesterday. My how time flies.

Memories of some fantastic conversations with Andy, IC, Higgins, Will and Gunner. There has been many others too but they are the posters who have especially left their mark on me . Thanks for the good times and great memories (even when we have not agreed.) Love you guys to the moon and back. Hope you're all still around and providing your input for years to come.

View attachment 67201172

I took a look back earlier to see where we were at 5 years ago. It seems like only yesterday. My how time flies.

Memories of some fantastic conversations with Andy, IC, Higgins, Will and Gunner. There has been many others too but they are the posters who have especially left their mark on me . Thanks for the good times and great memories (even when we have not agreed.) Love you guys to the moon and back. Hope you're all still around and providing your input for years to come.
Euroe falls after rumours that greece may out of Eurozone....

five years later...

Greece Continues To Leech Off The Strength Of Capitalist Countries.

A hundred years from now we'll look back at the things that we're worried about now and laugh.

Wait and see.

:lol:

A hundred years from now we'll look back at the things that we're worried about now and laugh.

Wait and see.

We will also see the threads that led to our demise more clearly.
Of course, we are talking 100 years here and you and I won't probably be seeing much of anything. :)

We will also see the threads that led to our demise more clearly.
Of course, we are talking 100 years here and
you and I won't probably be seeing much of anything. :
)

That's why we'll be laughing- we won't be worried about what we don't know about.

Wait and see.

Sort of the way that, 100 years on, we sit around today laughing about the Battle of Verdun and the Somme?

~ I took a look back earlier to see where we were at 5 years ago. It seems like only yesterday. ~

Hmm. This has me thinking, 5 years of my life gone in arguing....

I know my life is broader than just this website but have those 5 years of "discussion" made me happier? Wiser? More angry? Less tolerant? Maybe I'm still spending too much time in the day here...

Sort of the way that, 100 years on, we sit around today laughing about the Battle of Verdun and the Somme?
I never laughed about either. Visiting either site kinda dampened any merriment.

Same thing with Omaha beach and, more importantly, the rows of crosses upon crosses in the vicinity.

I know my life is broader than just this website but have those 5 years of "discussion" made me happier? Wiser? More angry? Less tolerant? Maybe I'm still spending too much time in the day here...
I have more news for you.

Ageing (if I'm anything or anybody to go by) does not bring mellowing.

I get angrier with each new day and that's why I've determined burial at sea. Put me in the ground and I'll probably blow up in everybody's face :mrgreen:

I think sometimes this board brings out the worst in me:) or is it the best in me :lol:

You're quite welcome.
I started the First and Fourth strings on that page.
My, how time and some of those Very posters you mentioned as well as others, have moved in the direction I pointed, even though disagreeing 6 years ago.
One reason I started... "Fallaci - II".

Last edited:
i didn't get here until July of that year. it was refreshing to find a forum that wasn't an echo chamber / partisan purity test for the left or right.

I think sometimes this board brings out the worst in me:) or is it the best in me :lol:

I think the fact some arguments get completely destroyed repeatedly yet keep coming back brings out the worst in me.

I think I joined in 2007 and in that time Europe hasn't become a muslim land, the jihadi preachers who once flouted our hospitality to preach our own destruction have gone or are under surveillance, our country is still uniformly and largely one where free speech is respected and our liberal values and people are still the envy of the world. I think I've spent 10 years of my life trying to tell mainly the same non European posters this and I don't know how much longer I can be bothered.

Life's too short and there are some wonderful people in the real world, some lovely friendly people down my street who I got to know better when our houses were destroyed in the December floods. The spirit of local British people here in and around Kendal, Carlisle, Cockermouth, Penrith etc has touched me. The same evil muslims who were supposed to be taking over our country were among many and varied British citizens who selflessly drove up here with food, friendship and hugs to keep us going. That's the Britain I know and love - not the one portrayed by some posters who have very little experience of life and people here.

Not if I can help it.

And I can help it, so it's Pink Floyd tonight.

We've been linking various Albert Collins, B.B. King and Eric Clapton videos via HDMI cable to our TV and enjoying some amazing videos.

Back
Top Bottom