• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

5 Years Ago America Was A Super Power, Today Who Will Fill The Vacancy ?

APACHERAT

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Below is a commentary. Lets face it, we are no longer a super power. Our military has become a hollow military force. President Obama is an incompetent commander in chief and we don't have the influence in the word that we had five years ago.

Excerpts:

>" Not since the disintegration of the Soviet Union in 1991, and prior to that the fall of France in 1940, has there been so swift an erosion of the world influence of a Great Power as we are witnessing with the United States..."<

>" What we are witnessing now in the United States, by contrast, is just the backwash of inept policy-making in Washington, and nothing that could not eventually be put right. But for this administration to redeem its credibility now would require a change of direction and method so radical it would be the national equivalent of the comeback of Lazarus:..."<

>" The country that could pick up the slack and lead is Germany, but it is psychologically incapable. A third of its voters are communists, eco-extremists or cyber-nihilists calling themselves “pirates.” They are still in attrition-therapy over the after-effects of Nazi and communist rule. And the European power that can’t take the lead, because it is almost bankrupt, over-centralized, suffocating in pettifogging regulations and governed by idiots, is France (though it yet has the superb, often misplaced, feline confidence of a Great Power, and admittedly has been magnificent on Libya, Mali and Syria).

Canada could play a role — but first it must acquire an aircraft carrier and the other equipment necessary to project power. For starters, we should buy one of these splendid aircraft carriers the United States is retiring because of the gridlock-fed deficit and the idiocy of sequestration,..."<

The entire article. -> Collapse of American Influence Recalls Disintegration of Soviet Union, Fall of France - The New York Sun

Below is a commentary. Lets face it, we are no longer a super power. Our military has become a hollow military force. President Obama is an incompetent commander in chief and we don't have the influence in the word that we had five years ago.

Excerpts:

>" Not since the disintegration of the Soviet Union in 1991, and prior to that the fall of France in 1940, has there been so swift an erosion of the world influence of a Great Power as we are witnessing with the United States..."<

>" What we are witnessing now in the United States, by contrast, is just the backwash of inept policy-making in Washington, and nothing that could not eventually be put right. But for this administration to redeem its credibility now would require a change of direction and method so radical it would be the national equivalent of the comeback of Lazarus:..."<

>" The country that could pick up the slack and lead is Germany, but it is psychologically incapable. A third of its voters are communists, eco-extremists or cyber-nihilists calling themselves “pirates.” They are still in attrition-therapy over the after-effects of Nazi and communist rule. And the European power that can’t take the lead, because it is almost bankrupt, over-centralized, suffocating in pettifogging regulations and governed by idiots, is France (though it yet has the superb, often misplaced, feline confidence of a Great Power, and admittedly has been magnificent on Libya, Mali and Syria).

Canada could play a role — but first it must acquire an aircraft carrier and the other equipment necessary to project power. For starters, we should buy one of these splendid aircraft carriers the United States is retiring because of the gridlock-fed deficit and the idiocy of sequestration,..."<

The entire article. -> Collapse of American Influence Recalls Disintegration of Soviet Union, Fall of France - The New York Sun

No, we're still number 1 militarily.

lol what a bunch of flaming bull****. Largest GDP in the world, largest and most high-tech military in the world, largest global military presence, 10 aircraft carriers (and not the dinky ski jump ramp kinds for only VTOL aircraft either), and we're NOT a superpower? Author's definition of "superpower" must include possession of starships or the Death Star or something.

Excerpts:

This conclusion is WAY too premature. Congress has sucked for a long time. Our country will endure it. Our military is not even close to gutted. Talk to me when we're not still paying contractors to empty the garbage and clean the bathrooms.

We may be in a transition period...a post Cold-war one that we really never figured out before 9-11. Not a super power? Ridiculous. Don't be such a downer Apacherat

I am for decentralization of power. ;)

No, we're still number 1 militarily.

We're still #1 militarily, economically, overall quality of life, etc. This is not a solid argument by any means.

lol what a bunch of flaming bull****. Largest GDP in the world, largest and most high-tech military in the world, largest global military presence, 10 aircraft carriers (and not the dinky ski jump ramp kinds for only VTOL aircraft either), and we're NOT a superpower? Author's definition of "superpower" must include possession of starships or the Death Star or something.

Why can't I "like" your post? It's not showing up, but couldn't agree more!

Excerpts:

The New York Sun ceased print publication on Sept 30, 2008.

The Sun supported G.W. Bush and his decision to launch the Iraq War in 2003.

Are these two events related?

I believe and certainly hope that they are.

Sometimes: "What goes around, comes around."

The Sun's editor-in-chief Seth Lipsky and owner Conrad Black backed Bush's illegal war of choice in Iraq which accomplished nothing good for the USA,and later, as cosmic pay-back, their right-wing paper went under.

I'm totally down with that chain of events.

When people do bad things,or support others who do bad things, there should be payback.

"Better days are coming." ~ But not for today's out of touch, running out of time, GOP.

Last edited:
I guess the obvious question is how was this index scored? I've been to a lot of these countries listed ahead of us on that index, and I can tell you that isn't the case. Perhaps I should use the term standard of living? What country on that list ahead of us is even close to super power status?
I agree looking at some of those above US the list does seem a bit hinky. Although, I highly doubt we're #1 in standard of living
They explain their methods here http://http://nationranking.wordpress.com/2011/03/06/2011-qli/[/URL]

Excerpts:

The above rant is a wonderful example of sour grapes, of someone who is absolutely sure that the world is going to hell in a handbasket because his people aren't in charge.

We're still #1 militarily, economically, overall quality of life, etc. This is not a solid argument by any means.

There's various metrics that don't put the US even top 5 in quality of life anymore. Per capita income leader is Qatar or something. Not even close on life expectancy or health care. It depends how you define 'superpower.' If it's just military then i agree.

List of countries by GDP (PPP) per capita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Top Countries On OECD Better Life Index - Business Insider

That's right, 10 aircraft carrier and the current administration has problems just keeping two of them at sea and on station covering the Navy's five AOR that are suppose to have a CSG on station of three of them 24/7.

Why hasn't the Navy's "surge" carrier been deployed from Norfolk to the 6th Fleet AOR (Mediterranean Sea) for the current crisis happening today ? Because last month the Chief of Naval Operations said that the crew of our "surge" carrier isn't properly trained to go to sea. I suppose they are spending more time attending sensitivity training than training for going to sea and being able to fight.

The Marine Corps says they are only able to deploy one combat ready brigade out of eight. 1/4 of the Navy's ships can't put to sea and fight because the lack of funding for routine maintenance.

We have a hollow military force today.

Then we have an incompetent President who is directly responsible for the poor shape our military is in today. What's been Obama's agenda for the U.S. military ? "To redefine the purpose and character of the military." Right out of Joseph Stalins handbook. We actually have political officers in the military today just like the Soviet military use to have. They are called diversity officers.

Having the Pentagon politicized is bad enough but politicizing the uniform services !!!
BTW: Can you name one executive branch of government that hasn't been politicized under the Obama administration ? Even the IRS has been politicized. The Dept. of Homeland Security is in the food stamp business.

Add that to Obama's failed foreign policies. Just look at the Middle East. Name just one country in the ME who holds America in awe today ?

I agree looking at some of those above US the list does seem a bit hinky. Although, I highly doubt we're #1 in standard of living
They explain their methods here http://http://nationranking.wordpress.com/2011/03/06/2011-qli/[/URL]
Ohhhhhh, did you look at the methods? No wonder. If there was a "sub-index" of "how much stuff do you own that you really don't need" we would be #1 for sure.

Which, by the way, should be the only standard of measure for a super power.

There's various metrics that don't put the US even top 5 in quality of life anymore. Per capita income leader is Qatar or something. Not even close on life expectancy or health care. It depends how you define 'superpower.' If it's just military then i agree.

List of countries by GDP (PPP) per capita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Top Countries On OECD Better Life Index - Business Insider
I probably shouldn't have said quality of life, honestly. Not because I don't believe it's true, but because there are too many matrices that can be contrived to dispute that claim. My recommendation, go to China and see if the next big show in town is even a century in trail when it comes to quality of life all things being equal.

I shudder to think what a worthless nation we would be if our only measure of greatness were military power. Instead, we are the dominant culture in the world. Everyone eats our food. Everyone drinks our drinks. Everyone wears our clothes. Everyone watches our movies. There are people who are arrested in other countries who are surprised to discover that their nation doesn't have Miranda rights because our system of law is better known to them than their own is.

I get that the OP is just whining more about Obama and partisan hackery, but please let's not mistake blowing things up and killing people for greatness.

I probably shouldn't have said quality of life, honestly. Not because I don't believe it's true, but because there are too many matrices that can be contrived to dispute that claim. My recommendation, go to China and see if the next big show in town is even a century in trail when it comes to quality of life all things being equal.

It's not about a "love America or leave it" mentality. It's a question of what are other nations doing right that we should copy and use for ourselves. Maybe we can even do it better. We don't need to be at odds with other cultures. We should assimilate their best qualities into our own.

That's right, 10 aircraft carrier and the current administration has problems just keeping two of them at sea and on station covering the Navy's five AOR that are suppose to have a CSG on station of three of them 24/7.

Why hasn't the Navy's "surge" carrier been deployed from Norfolk to the 6th Fleet AOR (Mediterranean Sea) for the current crisis happening today ? Because last month the Chief of Naval Operations said that the crew of our "surge" carrier isn't properly trained to go to sea. I suppose they are spending more time attending sensitivity training than training for going to sea and being able to fight.

The Marine Corps says they are only able to deploy one combat ready brigade out of eight. 1/4 of the Navy's ships can't put to sea and fight because the lack of funding for routine maintenance.

Then we have an incompetent President who is directly responsible for the poor shape our military is in today. What's been Obama's agenda for the U.S. military ? "To redefine the purpose and character of the military." Right out of Joseph Stalins handbook. We actually have political officers in the military today just like the Soviet military use to have. They are called diversity officers.

Having the Pentagon politicized is bad enough but politicizing the uniform services !!!
BTW: Can you name one executive branch of government that hasn't been politicized under the Obama administration ? Even the IRS has been politicized. The Dept. of Homeland Security is in the food stamp business.

Add that to Obama's failed foreign policies. Just look at the Middle East. Name just one country in the ME who holds America in awe today ?
When have they ever? :lamo

This is all sequester BS. It will pass.

Excerpts:

You think we're on par with the collapse of the Soviet Union? I'm not buying that. Even though we're experiencing some economic difficulties, that seems like quite a bleak prediction. Of course, if some changes aren't made . . . who knows where we'll be in 20 or so years?

I shudder to think what a worthless nation we would be if our only measure of greatness were military power. Instead, we are the dominant culture in the world. Everyone eats our food. Everyone drinks our drinks. Everyone wears our clothes. Everyone watches our movies. There are people who are arrested in other countries who are surprised to discover that their nation doesn't have Miranda rights because our system of law is better known to them than their own is.

I get that the OP is just whining more about Obama and partisan hackery, but please let's not mistake blowing things up and killing people for greatness.

It's not about a "love America or leave it" mentality. It's a question of what are other nations doing right that we should copy and use for ourselves. Maybe we can even do it better. We don't need to be at odds with other cultures. We should assimilate their best qualities into our own.

Yes, we still have a lot of influence and power in world. I agree.

Back
Top Bottom