• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

5 things I’ve learned from Donald Trump

Hawkeye10

Buttermilk Man
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
BY Chris Cillizza

1. Assume nothing
2. Money is overrated
3. Organization is overrated
4. All press is good press
5. You can't go too far in bashing your party
How he got here — and where he is going — will be the subject of political science classes for years. I don't claim to that level of academic excellence, but I have spent a lot — and I do mean A LOT — of time thinking about the lesson Trump has already taught me. (NOTE: These lessons apply only to the Republican primary. Trump's struggles in the six weeks since he's been the party's presumptive general election nominee suggest how he won the primary is not transferable to the general election.)
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...arned-from-donald-trump-in-the-last-365-days/

I have over the last year started to listen to this guy. He seems to have a knack for noticing what the rest of the herd misses.

Last edited by a moderator:
BY Chris Cillizza

I have over the last year started to listen to this guy. He seems to have a knack for noticing what the rest of the herd misses.

The 'herd' never had a voice before. :)

I don't know, 4 and 5 actually seem to have hurt Trump these last two weeks. Jury's still out for the first 3.

Solid advice for winning a primary though.

BY Chris Cillizza

I was reading how he received millions from his public companies that went bankrupt. Then there was selling assets to his private company where he made more money. I hope to read more. I'm sure I will be seeing quite a few articles on his business dealings. Should be interesting. I would like to see his tax returns but I bet that isn't going to happen. He has a knack alright.

I don't know, 4 and 5 actually seem to have hurt Trump these last two weeks. Jury's still out for the first 3.

Solid advice for winning a primary though.

This guy was one of the first to take Trump seriously as you probably know.

By uniquely viewing politics as a "theatre" – or an endless drama of opposing forces, Chris
Cillizza now stands as one of Washington's most exciting analysts of campaign politics. With
both humor and probing insight, the self-described political junkie speaks to a variety of
audiences with great clarity on the nuances of national and local campaign politics. His
extensive media appearances, spanning from TV to print to the blogosphere, have led The
Washingtonian to name him one of the top 50 journalists working in Washington today. Cillizza
seamlessly uses his immense reservoir of political knowledge to examine the past and provide
insights on the constantly evolving state of Washington politics. His commentary additionally
explores the meaning of the current presidency with prodigious depth and a discerning eye for
future political trends.
Prior to a five year stay with Roll Call, a Washington-based publication covering the legislative
and political events of Capitol Hill, Cillizza reported on gubernatorial races and southern House
races for Charlie Cook's Cook Political Report. He also wrote a column for Congress Daily.
Once he joined The Washington Post, Cillizza became the first reporter from a major news
organization to do online work as a White House political correspondent. He also launched the
widely popular weblog, TheFix, which focuses on American electoral politics, including
gubernatorial, Congressional, and presidential
elections . Now regarded as one of the most heavily trafficked blogs in Washington, The Fix
receives upwards of 575,000 internet hits daily and serves the readership of both seasoned
political veterans and casual Washington observers. The blog also includes a weekly "Friday
Line" section where the 10 closest electoral races of an electoral cycle – as judged by Cillizza –
are profiled and analyzed. His freelance pieces have also appeared in various publications such
as The Atlantic Monthly, Washingtonian, and Slate.
http://www.arda.org/uploadedFiles/A...mming_Events/Fall_Conference/Cillizza bio.pdf

I never paid any attention to him till I noticed that he was right about Trump. He is the epitome of a member of Coastal Elite, but his mind seems to run free, unlike most of the rest.

5 things I’ve learned from Donald Trump

1 that the gerrymandered two party system produces increasingly ****ty choices until "****ty" approaches "suicidal."

2 goto 1

1 that the gerrymandered two party system produces increasingly ****ty choices until "****ty" approaches "suicidal."

2 goto 1

I would go instead to "closed incestious systems tend to die". It is not just the two parties, it is journalism too that got into the orgy, and failed to deliver the goods.

I would go instead to "closed incestious systems tend to die". It is not just the two parties, it is journalism too that got into the orgy, and failed to deliver the goods.

I agree with you 100% on that. Make that 110%.

Most news organization are owned by the wealthy. The wealthy are the 1%. They control the national dialogue that is pitting us against each other. They help put politicians in power....and convince us to go to wars that only benefit them.

Last edited:

Most news organization are owned by the wealthy. The wealthy are the 1%. They control the national dialogue that is pitting us against each other. They help put politicians in power....and convince us to go to wars that only benefit them.

And if we did not understand after their participation in the fraudulent selling of the invasion of Iraq or after they not only completely failed to foresee the Great Recession but then also denied its existence for about a year how worthless the journalists have become then their failing to take seriously Trump because they dont understand either where the American people are nor how threadbare the DC Establishment (which they are a full participant in) has become seals the deal I think.

The American people are for sure lazy, but we are not in fact so completely ignorant as we have been taken for by the elite.

BY Chris Cillizza

There's one lesson that isn't included in that list: As long as you refuse to name specific sources to back up your claims, and as long as you refuse to provide those sources when asked, you can make any claim in the world no matter how silly or obviously false.

You guys are sounding more & more like the real-life Chomsky every day! :mrgreen:

You guys are sounding more & more like the real-life Chomsky every day! :mrgreen:

Trump wants to buy his own cable channel, now. lol

It took awhile but I think my critical thinking skills are improving. When I first started on forums, I didn't even know what that was. lol

BY Chris Cillizza

I've seen Chris for quite a few years on MSNBC's Morning Joe and other MSNBC appearances throughout the day, and while I thought he was knowledgeable and credible, I never placed him in the 'superlative' or 'exceptional' category of opinionists. But here now, he is right-on I believe - and fully in concert with my thoughts.

What worked for Mr. Trump in the Primary, is less likely to work in the General with the Indies & Dems. Actually, what worked in the Primary resulted in a technical victory, lacking in the post-Primary unification and support that virtually always occurs - so Trump in reality is the recipient of a hollow victory of sorts but not a 'true' victory.

So I don't think Trump is going to even be able to take-down the badly wounded Mrs. Clinton, and I believe he would've been mincemeat against a stellar candidate like the current President.

But here's the deal: Trump is erratic, unpredictable, unconventional & undefined, like no recent presidential candidate - and the current rules paradigm seem to often not pertain to him; so as such, *anything* can happen. I doubt he'll win, but I can't say that with absolute certainty.

It took awhile but I think my critical thinking skills are improving. When I first started on forums, I didn't even know what that was. lol
Yep. For all the beating against it, I really pushed my kids to receive a broad liberal education (liberal as in 'liberal arts & sciences') for that very reason - but cautioned them that they must follow it up with a professional degree or trade.

But requiring my kids to do a stint in both the school debate & forensic clubs, has had a few unforeseen consequences: They sometimes make some dayem solid arguments I wish they didn't! :doh

THe conventional wisdom is starting to shift, that is for sure.

Pain is a great teacher.

And failing sucks.

There's one lesson that isn't included in that list: As long as you refuse to name specific sources to back up your claims, and as long as you refuse to provide those sources when asked, you can make any claim in the world no matter how silly or obviously false.

More like "faith in reason and evidence aint what it used to be".

More like "faith and evidence are concepts that remain utterly alien to the Velveeta Raccoon"

Trump has a history of trying to sell people what they want to buy rather than what he wants to sell. I dont believe the assertions that Trump is not smart, though it is true that he knows little about the job he is asking for (Nuclear Triad anyone?)

Back
Top Bottom