• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

5 Rikers Officers Convicted in Beating of Inmate

JANFU

Land by the Gulf Stream
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/08/n...n-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

Five New York City correction officers accused in the brutal beating of a Rikers Island inmate were convicted of all charges on Tuesday, including the most serious count of attempted gang assault in the first degree.

The jury also found them guilty of other charges, including attempted assault in the first degree, assault in the second degree, falsifying business records and official misconduct in the July 2012 beating of the inmate, Jahmal Lightfoot, and an effort to cover it up.

The union they belong to runs the place.
The place is a mess.

Correction union boss Norman Seabrook asks to halt mandatory prison reforms aimed at reducing violence at Rikers Island

Correction union boss wants to halt Rikers Island reforms - NY Daily News

Correction union boss Norman Seabrook wants to put the brakes on federally-mandated reforms because the changes are not being implemented in a “rational fashion.”

In a letter to Manhattan Federal Court Judge Laura Taylor Swain, Seabrook argues that jail honchos have failed to train his members so that they can handle the sweeping changes.

The New York Times - Breaking News, World News & Multimedia

The union they belong to runs the place.
The place is a mess.

Correction union boss Norman Seabrook asks to halt mandatory prison reforms aimed at reducing violence at Rikers Island

Correction union boss wants to halt Rikers Island reforms - NY Daily News

Rikers houses some pretty rough people. Did this guy antagonize officers before the assault occurred? Probably. I tend to side with the officers in situations like this, their job is one of the worst jobs a person can have.

Rikers houses some pretty rough people. Did this guy antagonize officers before the assault occurred? Probably. I tend to side with the officers in situations like this, their job is one of the worst jobs a person can have.

Oh well if the inmate was a jerk then brutal beatings are ok.

Well, no, he didn't get to Rikers by being a jerk. A jerk cuts you off in traffic and then gives you the bird.
A Rikers inmate is probably either a killer, rapist, etc fill in the blank.

Prison cops didn't pick this guy out for a beating for no reason, he probably threw bodily fluids at an officer or attacked an officer. That's the reality off what goes on in there.

Well, no, he didn't get to Rikers by being a jerk. A jerk cuts you off in traffic and then gives you the bird.

Prison cops didn't pick this guy out for a beating for no reason, he probably threw bodily fluids at an officer or attacked an officer. That's the reality off what goes on in there.

Oh well spitting I mean that changes everything. All spitters should be executed.

Oh well spitting I mean that changes everything. All spitters should be executed.

Haha, you sound like you don't know what goes on in there. Spitting on an officer would probably make their day. Inmates throw poop and pee on officers, and 99% of the time, officers don't respond with violence. The one time they do get violent... Lawsuit time! This man's civil rights is violated! Front page news!

Haha, you sound like you don't know what goes on in there. Spitting on an officer would probably make their day. Inmates throw poop and pee on officers, and 99% of the time, officers don't respond with violence. The one time they do get violent... Lawsuit time! This man's civil rights is violated! Front page news!

Um, yes? Because it's a crime and his civil rights were violated.

Um, yes? Because it's a crime and his civil rights were violated.

So let's say I go to your place of employment and throw poop and pee on you. You're going to respond like a perfect gentleman and not want to strike back? You're going to be thinking of my civil rights in such a situation?

I disagree. When I was in jail on my DWI charge, I saw a young kid who must have been about 18 years old crying. He was arrested for loitering at a convenience store, while waiting for a friend to pick him up. I saw a cop telling him to shut up. When the kid didn't stop crying 3 cops grabbed him and ran him head first into a wall, knocking him unconscious. I found out later that the kid was hospitalized with a severe concussion. Charges against the kid were dropped. So here's the deal - The vast majority of cops are good people, but there are a few rotten apples in the barrel. A lot of them usually end up as jail guards instead of patrol officers. And yes, they can be very brutal for little or no reason. I have seen it with my own eyes. Seems that Ryker's Island is staffed with quite a few of them. Juries in general do not convict cops for brutality. It takes a one hell of lot for a jury to convict a cop, and the criminal conviction of not one cop, but five cops, for brutality speaks a lot to the culture of law enforcement at Ryker's Island. Seems that the inmates are not the only animals there.

So let's say I go to your place of employment and throw poop and pee on you. You're going to respond like a perfect gentleman and not want to strike back? You're going to be thinking of my civil rights in such a situation?

If I beat the crap out of you I'm still going to jail, dude.

If I beat the crap out of you I'm still going to jail, dude.

I just think that if more people put themselves in the kind of situations that police officers face, there would be more understanding about how difficult it is to be a police officer.

I just think that if more people put themselves in the kind of situations that police officers face, there would be more understanding about how difficult it is to be a police officer.

My uncle was a corrections officer for like 30 years. I understand.

But we arrest people for crimes even when we understand the motivation.

Ah hell. Little Wayne did a stint there. I think he was guilty of possessing marijuana. He has stated that he will never set foot in NY again.

A guard moved in next door to me in CA. He worked at the Vacaville state prison. He looked just like these fascist assholes. Too fat and dumb to be a policeman, they find employment as guards. Once they learn the ropes, they figure that they can get away with these horrible beatings because of their positions.

Prison is no place to rehabilitate.

Read the ****ing link. He was busted for purse snatching.

Prison guards are not LEOs. They couldn't cut the mustard.

I disagree. When I was in jail on my DWI charge, I saw a young kid who must have been about 18 years old crying. He was arrested for loitering at a convenience store, while waiting for a friend to pick him up. I saw a cop telling him to shut up. When the kid didn't stop crying 3 cops grabbed him and ran him head first into a wall, knocking him unconscious. I found out later that the kid was hospitalized with a severe concussion. Charges against the kid were dropped. So here's the deal - The vast majority of cops are good people, but there are a few rotten apples in the barrel. A lot of them usually end up as jail guards instead of patrol officers. And yes, they can be very brutal for little or no reason. I have seen it with my own eyes. Seems that Ryker's Island is staffed with quite a few of them. Juries in general do not convict cops for brutality. It takes a one hell of lot for a jury to convict a cop, and the criminal conviction of not one cop, but five cops, for brutality speaks a lot to the culture of law enforcement at Ryker's Island. Seems that the inmates are not the only animals there.

I suppose it depends on the definition of "bad apple". I'd include in that definition every single cop who knew of (or who should have learned of but deliberately avoided it) the attack you mention and who failed to do anything about it, and/or did anything to cover it up, in it.

There are the violent ones, then there are a whole lot more who won't do a thing, or even help cover it up when it happens....

And this is a good example of why it's a laughable sham to call our country "land of the free, home of the brave".....

I suppose it depends on the definition of "bad apple". I'd include in that definition every single cop who knew of (or who should have learned of but deliberately avoided it) the attack you mention and who failed to do anything about it, and/or did anything to cover it up, in it.

There are the violent ones, then there are a whole lot more who won't do a thing, or even help cover it up when it happens....

Actually, I did do something myself. I went to the FBI office here in Houston and filed a complaint against those 3 cops for injuring that kid. Also, when I saw it happen, one of the cops told me I didn't see anything. I told him I did. The cop then replied that I was must be some kind of crazy who hallucinated the whole thing. That didn't stop me from doing what I needed to do when I got out.

Agreed. Don't break societies laws and you won't have to be in prison and worry about getting beatings because you threw your sh*@ at an officer, or tried to shank them.

I believe you may be wrong about the type of inmates housed a Rikers. My understanding is that they are mostly people who can't make bail, are in for a year or less or people being transferred to other facilities.

Actually, I did do something myself. I went to the FBI office here in Houston and filed a complaint against those 3 cops for injuring that kid. Also, when I saw it happen, one of the cops told me I didn't see anything. I told him I did. The cop then replied that I was must be some kind of crazy who hallucinated the whole thing. That didn't stop me from doing what I needed to do when I got out.

Did anything actually come of it though?

Did anything actually come of it though?

The head of the facility on Mykawa Road (Where I was in jail at) was transferred. I don't know anything beyond that, but I can assume that, if the head of the jail was transferred, then disciplinary action of some kind must have occurred with those 3 cops. I'll never know for sure, though, since it immediately became "none of my business". The only reason I know that the head of the jail got transferred it because is was on the local news about 3 or 4 days after I made the complaint. But that transfer could have been made for some other incident, as far as I know.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom