• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

5 Questions Nunes Memo Must Answer

iliveonramen

Pontificator
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
A former FBI talks about the Nunes memo and what needs to be in it for it to implicate anything.

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert in FISA warrants and most likely most people only know they exist and what they are used for. The author goes a bit deeper and gives context. Well worth the read.

https://www.justsecurity.org/51630/five-questions-nunes-memo-answer/

A former FBI talks about the Nunes memo and what needs to be in it for it to implicate anything.

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert in FISA warrants and most likely most people only know they exist and what they are used for. The author goes a bit deeper and gives context. Well worth the read.

Wow, that was actually a really interesting read, and I learned a lot in one document that helps me understand the processes, chains of command, etc.

The low blood sugar judge was the most fascinating part.

Thanks for posting this. I've saved the link in my favorites and will see if these things all get answered.

Wow, that was actually a really interesting read, and I learned a lot in one document that helps me understand the processes, chains of command, etc.

The low blood sugar judge was the most fascinating part.

Thanks for posting this. I've saved the link in my favorites and will see if these things all get answered.

I thought so too. I'll definitely be reading the memo with this article in hand.

Let's leave aside the tone of the author's other "Just Security" work product and the fact that she's an analyst for CNN.

Her mention of the dossier in this piece (she mentions it several times) doesn't directly address the point that the dossier shouldn't have been mentioned or used in any way to get a FISA warrant ... assuming it was and assuming that's one of the core points of the Nunes memo.
It shouldn't have been used in any way because of the tawdry circumstances surrounding its creation and because even Comey said it was uncorroborated.

Except for that, she does weave an interesting layered web of built-in precautionary measures that still could have been compromised very early on.

Let's leave aside the tone of the author's other "Just Security" work product and the fact that she's an analyst for CNN.

Her mention of the dossier in this piece (she mentions it several times) doesn't directly address the point that the dossier shouldn't have been mentioned or used in any way to get a FISA warrant ... assuming it was and assuming that's one of the core points of the Nunes memo.
It shouldn't have been used in any way because of the tawdry circumstances surrounding its creation and because even Comey said it was uncorroborated.

Except for that, she does weave an interesting layered web of built-in precautionary measures that still could have been compromised very early on.

I think her point is FISA warrants aren't something that you can drop a Dossier given to you on a DOJ members desk much less a judges desk and get a FISA approval. If Nunes makes that claim then he better be able to support it.

Not to mention, as she had pointed out, the FISA warrant was against someone in politics. The idea that the judge wouldn't of assumed that their decision had a decent chance of being scrutinized in the future would be a lapse of judgement. Unless you really think district court judges are idiots then you have to believe the judge was in on it to.

So now it's an FBI, DOJ, District Court conspiracy.

As the detailed explanation pointed out, there are numerous FISA checks and safeguards in place. Every individual in the investigative/counsel/judiciary chain would have to be both independently and jointly complicit.

The odds of this occurring are ... astonishingly infinitesimal.

What Nunes is endeavoring to undertake here for political purpose, is the release a meager four page memo ... without also including the requisite background and the proper context.

I think her point is FISA warrants aren't something that you can drop a Dossier given to you on a DOJ members desk much less a judges desk and get a FISA approval. If Nunes makes that claim then he better be able to support it.

Not to mention, as she had pointed out, the FISA warrant was against someone in politics. The idea that the judge wouldn't of assumed that their decision had a decent chance of being scrutinized in the future would be a lapse of judgement. Unless you really think district court judges are idiots then you have to believe the judge was in on it to.

I know her intention was to detail the rigorous FISA requirements.
She did that.
But what she didn't do was address why the history and lack of corroboration of the dossier should preclude it from even being mentioned in a warrant request at all.
If Nunes can show evidence that the dossier was used in a warrant application, even in part, then that's a problem.
The followon would then require who was involved in making the application at the beginning.
And it wouldn't have to implicate the entire DOJ & FBI in a conspiracy.

I have an idea about the denouement and the response to it ... but that's for another thread.

She did that.
But what she didn't do was address why the history and lack of corroboration of the dossier should preclude it from even being mentioned in a warrant request at all.
If Nunes can show evidence that the dossier was used in a warrant application, even in part, then that's a problem.
The followon would then require who was involved in making the application at the beginning.

I have an idea about the denouement and the response to it ... but that's for another thread.

The fisa request was about carter page, a guy who has already been subject to scrutiny.

Carter Page congressional testimony corroborates Steele dossier parts - Business Insider

As the detailed explanation pointed out, there are numerous FISA checks and safeguards in place. Every individual in the investigative/counsel/judiciary chain would have to be both independently and jointly complicit.

The odds of this occurring are ... astonishingly infinitesimal.

What Nunes is endeavoring to undertake here for political purpose, is the release a meager four page memo ... without also including the requisite background and the proper context.

Odds are not infinitesimal.
It just takes the right people in the right places at the jump.
I think the background and context should be released as well.
He can't release something he doesn't have.
The problem is that it wasn't given to Nunes or the Committee.
They were allowed to view the documents and take notes.
But the documents aren't his to give.
The Republicans have asked that they be released.

As the writer pointed out, there would have to be many dozens of people involved in this conspiracy. That's where my knee jerked. That and the judge with low sugar. It's like 9/11 conspiracies. Do you realize how many people would have to be involved for that to be pulled off as an inside job? Dozens. Hundreds. That's what makes it so implausible as a conspiracy.

I guess time will tell here. But the purveyors and supporters of the Patriot Act wanted the government to basically have whatever authority it wanted to spy on whomever it wanted to at any time. Why are all those people all of a sudden opposed to this?

As the writer pointed out, there would have to be many dozens of people involved in this conspiracy. That's where my knee jerked. That and the judge with low sugar. It's like 9/11 conspiracies. Do you realize how many people would have to be involved for that to be pulled off as an inside job? Dozens. Hundreds. That's what makes it so implausible as a conspiracy.

I guess time will tell here. But the purveyors and supporters of the Patriot Act wanted the government to basically have whatever authority it wanted to spy on whomever it wanted to at any time. Why are all those people all of a sudden opposed to this?

They oppose it because it is exposing the corruption within their party.

Odds are not infinitesimal.
It just takes the right people in the right places at the jump.
I think the background and context should be released as well.
He can't release something he doesn't have.
The problem is that it wasn't given to Nunes or the Committee.
They were allowed to view the documents and take notes.
But the documents aren't his to give.
The Republicans have asked that they be released.

And since those documents are classified it is highly unlikely that they can Be released.

...So we end up with only the word of Benedict Arnold Nunes.

An interesting link- take the time. Not bogus
Stonekettle Station: Dirty Tricks

That memo will not have that much detailed information. It's not a disertation, or a legal answer. Its a 'memo' written by the staff. The detailed info. the writer claims must be in the memo, is what will be learned in an investigation, if warranted.

He lost me at “Hardcore tin foil hats”. Everyone aside from CNN and MSNBC should expect the democrats to try to blunt the veracity of “the Memo”. This is only the first of many reports of this kind you can expect to see.

Exactly, all of those people have to be complicit....then...none of them can leak what just happened.

The election of Donald Trump has opened my eyes to a lot of things. The fact such a sizable number of Republicans have not only supported Trump but cast aside SO MANY core values they claimed they stood for. It's crazy.

I'm not sure if you are familiar with Rick Wilson but this is a good article where he dives into the conspiracy theory angle of the Republican party and how it's changed.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/trumps-gop-a-conspiracy-of-dunces?source=twitter&via=desktop

He lost me at “Hardcore tin foil hats”. Everyone aside from CNN and MSNBC should expect the democrats to try to blunt the veracity of “the Memo”. This is only the first of many reports of this kind you can expect to see.

That tells you that the author is hostile to the view that the FBI and DOJ have a conspiracy to get rid of Trump. That doesn't mean anything written is false.

An interesting link- take the time. Not bogus
Stonekettle Station: Dirty Tricks

That was terrible. It was nothing but a screed. How could you take any of that seriously? Who the hell is that?

Congress has oversight authority of the Executive branch.
And the Nunes memo is said to be based on classified DOJ/FBI material.

That link was an ignorant rant that makes Hannity look tame.

That memo will not have that much detailed information. It's not a disertation, or a legal answer. Its a 'memo' written by the staff. The detailed info. the writer claims must be in the memo, is what will be learned in an investigation, if warranted.

So it's a vague paper written by a Republican Congressman? Nothing that can be fact checked. Nothing that is validated by anyone. Sounds legit.

She did that.

The DOJ would have to approve a FISA application and a Judge would have to rule on it. The idea that the Dossier with not evidence would be accepted would mean that all of them either failed at their job or were apart of the "conspiracy".

So it's a vague paper written by a Republican Congressman? Nothing that can be fact checked. Nothing that is validated by anyone. Sounds legit.

The FBI has reviewed the material in the memo and declared it factual.

Exactly, all of those people have to be complicit....then...none of them can leak what just happened.

The election of Donald Trump has opened my eyes to a lot of things. The fact such a sizable number of Republicans have not only supported Trump but cast aside SO MANY core values they claimed they stood for. It's crazy.

I'm not sure if you are familiar with Rick Wilson but this is a good article where he dives into the conspiracy theory angle of the Republican party and how it's changed.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/trumps-gop-a-conspiracy-of-dunces?source=twitter&via=desktop

Ouch. As a lifelong Republican that article stung, but there is so much truth to it that I had to read it twice. He's right. Everything he said was right.

This part really made me almost cry:

Form Submission 1649” led to numerological kookspiracy speculation that would have made Louis Farrakhan proud. I kid you not, whackjobs were saying Hannity’s “1649” tweet was about the year when Charles the 1st was beheaded for treason by Cromwell. Uh huh. Sean Hannity knows about as much about Cromwell and Charles the 1st as he does about string theory.

Geezuschristonacracker. And you know what? It doesn't surprise me. How sad is that? It doesn't surprise me at all.

And he is SPOT ON that one of the people, in fact the only person inside the workings of DC, who can put a stop to this is Speaker Ryan. Where the hell is his head? This was the guy I was giddy as a schoolgirl to see Romney tap for his running mate. This was a young man I thought had such a brilliant future, no matter what happened. Since Trump came about he has been reduced to a caricature of his once admirable self, and an absolute whore for Trump and Nunes. It shocks and saddens me.

Back
Top Bottom