• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

5 million won't have a merry Christmas

I WONT get specific but I have looked at MANY alternatives regarding schooling...... I do not qualify for ANY of them.
I have a Bachalors degree.... and anyone that has that wont qualify for schooling. If you folks can find out different I would LOVE to hear it.
My credit is crap because of 2 things.....
I was robbed and attacked while... again not being employeed at the time 7 years ago and wound up with a $40,000+ hospital bill I couldnt pay...... hence BK

Also my exmanager got me into a "company" that turned out to be FAKE and used my signature and name for THOUSANDS of dollars in cell phones and furthur destroyed my credit.
THEEEEEN.... there is a car company call TRIAD FINANCE that ripped me off for about $14,000
The owners were barred from doing business in Illinois and then with MANY complaints was "bought out" by other "investors" to return as ANOTHER scam company.

So my credit sucks.

I might be missing something, but how is bad credit keeping you from getting any of the jobs discussed above? Would the kiosk at the mall not hire you because you've got a bankruptcy on your record?

Here's a good link showing how extending benefits is not always good for the country or the person receiving them.
Why Denmark Is Shrinking Its Social Safety Net - NYTimes.com

Wow:

economix-11denmark-custom1.jpg

I might be missing something, but how is bad credit keeping you from getting any of the jobs discussed above? Would the kiosk at the mall not hire you because you've got a bankruptcy on your record?

I wondered how I could take this......
I could go and and answer your question directly
ORRRR
Give you my personal account of things

I guess there is a third choice.... its almost 2am and Im tired. I will revist this thread soon. BUUUUUUT.... me getting a new job really doesnt have much to do with gettnig a new job anymore. In my industry (IT).... they want salesmen with HOT clients where you can hit the ground running. I dont. Plus with other positions Im either OVER qualified or Under. Or I get jobs that wont even come CLOSE to paying my bills. Again I have things on the side but...... just not sure they will even sustain me. Either way I havent been sitting on my ass.

Here's a good link showing how extending benefits is not always good for the country or the person receiving them.
Why Denmark Is Shrinking Its Social Safety Net - NYTimes.com

JESUS!!!! Thats DENMARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DEN-****ING-MARK!!!!!
Here is a graph from Russia on breast cancer!

Last edited:
You're always "Personal responsibility, rah rah rah!" and saying that personal responsibility is paramount in these kinds of things, yet when it comes to something that hits close to home, all of a sudden you're shifting blame.

Who am I shifting the blame to? It was my mother's fault for being in the position that she was in. She gave up a high-paying job in SoCal to follow some man out to PA (who she knew was cheating on her). Then, when that relationship fizzled, he left, and we were all by ourselves with no family and no friends. I moved back after my grandmother offered her spare room to me. My mom followed a year later. After a short while, she received another high-paying, yet boring, job in medical coding and billing. Then, she gave up that wonderful job to go chase after some glamorous career in Private Investigative work with a firm that would tank in a year. Then, she moved on to working for a small business PI guy who was very shady and VERY BAD with money management. The work with him quickly dried out, and my mom was left completely unemployed.

So, she screwed up BIG TIME twice, and she is ultimately responsible for her own situation. She's also the typical big-spending liberal who never saved a dollar for retirement and spent her pension from her first great job on random ****. She is now 52 and I asked her what she plans to do about retirement. She said she'll work until she can no longer work, and simply bank on Social Security to survive. In reality, I will be paying for her mistakes in the future.

Now, in what way am I shifting the blame onto others?

PS: When I asked what she plans to do about medicine in her old age, she said she'll rely on medicare and medicaid (if it's even possibe to collect both). And my mother is the perfect example f individuals relying 100% on the government to bail them out of their own mistakes.

Last edited:
Now, in what way am I shifting the blame onto others?
When you said "the unemployment checks did, IMHO, provide the incentive to lie down when she should have been picking herself up again"

When you said "the unemployment checks did, IMHO, provide the incentive to lie down when she should have been picking herself up again"

That doesn't prove your argument. My mom is still irresponsible, with or without the checks. The checks merely placate her irresponsible behavior.

So. Let me get this straight. Elijah shares very personal information about his mother and how that has shaped his views on unemployment compensation, and a number of posters have jumped his ass. This is the second time in two days I have seen a poster share this kind of rather painful truth with our forum and then get shafted for it -- ending up having to defend himself from other posters who would criticize his take. And not even read his posts carefully enough to understand what he's said.

Nice job.

It doesn't look like a painful truth to me. He has a very low opinion of his mother that he is only too happy to share with us. I am reminded again what a wonderful blessing my daughter is.

That doesn't prove your argument. My mom is still irresponsible, with or without the checks. The checks merely placate her irresponsible behavior.

It always amazes me how some people can learn from mistakes their parents make and other's just end up making the same mistakes. Good to see you didn't follow in your mother's footsteps.

That actually proves my argument completely. You place blame on the system for feeding and enabling your mother's choices.

So let's stop the checks?

Yes...lets stop the government checks...and lets have all those that truly believe the benefits should be extended unendingly voluntarily contribute and provide for those families.

Anecdotal evidence isn't the same thing as actual evidence.

Yes...lets stop the government checks...and lets have all those that truly believe the benefits should be extended unendingly voluntarily contribute and provide for those families.

Actually if they have kids, they should qualify for welfare. Something tells me, that most will end up finding a job in short order though. It may not be a job they want, but it'll be a job. You gotta start somewhere.

It doesn't look like a painful truth to me. He has a very low opinion of his mother that he is only too happy to share with us. I am reminded again what a wonderful blessing my daughter is.

It is true that I have a low opinion of my mother's behavior, not of my mother as a human being. She also has a warm, loving good side. But when it comes to the topic of unemployment benefits, her personal life story has influenced my political opinions in many ways. My mother's bad decisions prove that people should sometimes stand still. My mother was always in search of greener pasture, and this is where it led.

I do have a high opinion of her behavior as of now, because she finally picked herself up and is now being retrained in a new, thriving employment market. She made the necessary sacrifices in order to overcome her difficulties, and I applaud her for that. But I still don't forget the two years she wasted, spending her unemployment checks on vodka and expensive food. No, my mother doesn' represent everyone on unemployment. But she does, in my opinion, represent a true democrat. :)

Republicans are souless vampires. They feed on the suffering of the weak and downtrodden.

But Democrats are inept, which is why they couldn't get it through.

Republicans are souless vampires. They feed on the suffering of the weak and downtrodden.

No, the dems could have passed it without a single republican. They were playing their silly little games.

No, my mother's experience is not the universal experience. But she was my personal experience that solidified my current views on the topic.

Perhaps the people you know who are so worried about an extension should retrain themselves and maybe consider moving back in with family (if they haven't already).

Have them take a lesson from my mom, ask them to consider a certificate at a vocational school. The tuition is quite affordable (6K for a medical coding and billing), the loans are easily available (even with bad credit), the training period is relatively short (6 months for the stated certificate), and job placement is guaranteed. Coders make about 35-40K a year, which is better than working at McDonalds and damn better than being totally unemployed.

A person's only option is not unemployment checks.

Mkay, I must step in here and correct some misinformation.

I have a 4 year college degree from a very respected university here in my state. It's not in basketweaving, it's in finance and insurance, the college of Business at my school, when I graduated, had the highest number of required reports of any college of business in the entire nation. With 6 400 level COB classes, I was doing roughly 5 reports ranging from 5-20 pages, every single day. I graduated making deans list the last 2 years of my 4 year college stint.

I was unable to get a job out of college. The economy had taken that long ride to funk after Clinton left and the dot-com bubble burst. I briefly worked at a home health agency putting in apps. But being as how I didn't know **** about **** about that ****, I ended up quitting/losing my job within a month and a half.

It was almost a year later before I finally got a very low paying job working at the local airport. I worked there for 5 years saving up enough money to pay to go BACK to school and get a license to work on airplanes. 5000 dollars and 2 years later, I get that license. Never, in the history of the school, has anyone really had much trouble finding a job in this industry. After 4 months, I finally found a job.

I had 3 months to go from "never worked on an airplane for hire before" to "on your own, on commission" in 3 months working on 200 passenger Airbus A-300 series aircraft. The first month I got 2 job cards (the average mechanic does 8-10 a DAY). I wasn't being trained. He had me push brooming the hangar floor. He had me waxing the airplane as an airplane mechanic, with apprentices hired a month or two before me (apprentices have NO license, they work under the repair station's name) working on the plane. I was basically being abused. Then on top of that, I had to fight for over 22 hours of pay in just one week. They were not paying me as they were supposed to. I didn't spend 5000 dollars on schooling to work for free.

For YEARS, people coming out of my school were making 40-50g's a year starting out. I was barely making 36 if I hadn't been put on mandatory commission only after 3 months. I had horrible hours, a long drive, and a boss that wanted me gone because I went in there knowing a lot and he wanted a bunch of little "bitches" under him which I refused to be. The place I worked for had a 50% turnover ratio because they don't pay their people and their hours are horrible.

I am now unemployed once again in an industry, in an area, where an unemployed mechanic, 5 years ago, was sucked up like a speck of dirt into a vaccum. I've applied to ever location in my state, and every single one says no openings available. I can't get a job anywhere doing anything. When I try to apply to "anywhere" places, I'm so overqualifed for everything they flat out tell me, your qualifications are too high. That will cost you a job as fast as qualifications being too low.

So while I don't agree with unemployment benefits going past 26 weeks, please do not say "Oh I put my resume on Career builder and nobody will call me back." Because I've done that, and a whole lot more, AND gone to college, got a bachelors degree, a vocational school, basically obtained an associates degree (it was paperwork only keeping me from actually obtaining it) and a license to work on any civilian aircraft in service today, and I CAN'T EVEN FIND A JOB.

So yea, it's a tough damn world out there right now. When you have multiple connections all over the state and everyone comes back with, "Sorry dude, I can't find anything for you" that is a problem that is OUT OF MY CONTROL AND NOT MY FAULT.

If you gotta solution for me, please let me know. Because applying for "anything" jobs isn't working. My qualifications are biting me in the ass because they KNOW as soon as an airplane mechanic job opens up I'll be gone. So whos gonna hire someone they know will leave at any moment?

Last edited:
That is NOT the only thing that counted. The thing that counts is whether or not these checks have any real benefit. In my mother's case, they were just an excuse to remain unemployed so that she could wallow in her own self-pity. The checks prolonged her depression. They prolonged her unemployment. They encouraged her to waste two years of her life in depressing misery, while she did nothing but drink and watch tv. There was not a SINGLE benefit.

Of course, though, many people do that same thing because they are employed :)

Some people just are that way

I have a 4 year college degree from a very respected university here in my state. It's not in basketweaving, it's in finance and insurance, the college of Business at my school, when I graduated, had the highest number of required reports of any college of business in the entire nation. With 6 400 level COB classes, I was doing roughly 5 reports ranging from 5-20 pages, every single day. I graduated making deans list the last 2 years of my 4 year college stint.

I was unable to get a job out of college. The economy had taken that long ride to funk after Clinton left and the dot-com bubble burst. I briefly worked at a home health agency putting in apps. But being as how I didn't know **** about **** about that ****, I ended up quitting/losing my job within a month and a half.

It was almost a year later before I finally got a very low paying job working at the local airport. I worked there for 5 years saving up enough money to pay to go BACK to school and get a license to work on airplanes. 5000 dollars and 2 years later, I get that license. Never, in the history of the school, has anyone really had much trouble finding a job in this industry. After 4 months, I finally found a job.

I had 3 months to go from "never worked on an airplane for hire before" to "on your own, on commission" in 3 months working on 200 passenger Airbus A-300 series aircraft. The first month I got 2 job cards (the average mechanic does 8-10 a DAY). I wasn't being trained. He had me push brooming the hangar floor. He had me waxing the airplane as an airplane mechanic, with apprentices hired a month or two before me (apprentices have NO license, they work under the repair station's name) working on the plane. I was basically being abused. Then on top of that, I had to fight for over 22 hours of pay in just one week. They were not paying me as they were supposed to. I didn't spend 5000 dollars on schooling to work for free.

For YEARS, people coming out of my school were making 40-50g's a year starting out. I was barely making 36 if I hadn't been put on mandatory commission only after 3 months. I had horrible hours, a long drive, and a boss that wanted me gone because I went in there knowing a lot and he wanted a bunch of little "bitches" under him which I refused to be. The place I worked for had a 50% turnover ratio because they don't pay their people and their hours are horrible.

I am now unemployed once again in an industry, in an area, where an unemployed mechanic, 5 years ago, was sucked up like a speck of dirt into a vaccum. I've applied to ever location in my state, and every single one says no openings available. I can't get a job anywhere doing anything. When I try to apply to "anywhere" places, I'm so overqualifed for everything they flat out tell me, your qualifications are too high. That will cost you a job as fast as qualifications being too low.

So while I don't agree with unemployment benefits going past 26 weeks, please do not say "Oh I put my resume on Career builder and nobody will call me back." Because I've done that, and a whole lot more, AND gone to college, got a bachelors degree, a vocational school, basically obtained an associates degree (it was paperwork only keeping me from actually obtaining it) and a license to work on any civilian aircraft in service today, and I CAN'T EVEN FIND A JOB.

So yea, it's a tough damn world out there right now. When you have multiple connections all over the state and everyone comes back with, "Sorry dude, I can't find anything for you" that is a problem that is OUT OF MY CONTROL AND NOT MY FAULT.

If you gotta solution for me, please let me know. Because applying for "anything" jobs isn't working. My qualifications are biting me in the ass because they KNOW as soon as an airplane mechanic job opens up I'll be gone. So whos gonna hire someone they know will leave at any moment?

Go see a career counselor and find a field in an emerging technology (health care is always an option-education, GEO tracking, archeology...shocking but a TON of federal jobs in the field...service...any of the fileds that are critically short). manage a convenience store and build a resume using your business degree and put some marketing muscle behind it and look for office management jobs. Contact local healthcare providers and offer to manage their administrative service...most healthcare professionals would LOVE someone to take care of scheduling, bill paying, bill collecting, and most heinous...collecting from insurance companies-and yes...you have to learn that indistry as well. Just as a start.

I work with lots of people that graduated with degrees in subjects like math, english, or political science and then are stunned because they cant find work. They dont want to teach and their education has prepared them to be a 'math'. Not a whole lot of jobs in THAT field. Its a competitive world but there ARE jobs out there...a LOT of them. You have to forecast coming trends, build a resume, and position yourself to get in this jobs. It aint magic...but I have an employment counselor that works for me that places people daily. When people want to work they have no problem finding 'a job'. The problem starts because people keep holding out for 'the' job.

Liberals ARE the weak and downtrodden...the poor pathetic crippled pets clamoring for people to take care of them.

So a "merry Christmas" is an unemployment check?

Am I reading this right? :lamo

I'm sorry to hear about your circumstances. But regardless of how much you think of yourself, your ambition, and your academic background, the world is not at fault for you not finding employment. You are not guaranteed a job because it's supposedly a right to have a job. You may have been dealt a bad hand in your career, but I wouldn't call it all of "their" fault or all of your fault. Perhaps you're in the wrong location or in the wrong industry. It might not sound positive to think you've chosen to train yourself in two industries that are currently stagnant. But from the other statements you've made about people jumping ahead of you who are less experienced or being abused by an employer, I don't pity you. Sorry. I've been faced with mean employers who favored others based on cronyism and nepotism, but I move on. I don't blame all of my problems on other people.

Since you're smart enough to obtain a prestigious education and additional vocational training, it's hard to believe you're incapable of finding a stabilized job (or at least, a stabilized income). But I don't know the extent of your circumstances to comment any further.

By the way, what was the misinformation you supposedly needed to correct?

People do pay into unemployment and deserve to draw on it for no more than 26 wks. That's my opinion. Much over is just killing any incentive to work.
It's amazing, in Denmark , they allowed something like five yrs, then 4, then 2 or three years. Amazingly, people were able to find work shortly before their benefits ran out each time. It didn't matter how long they were allowed to collect, they collected as long as they could. I think the word is funemployment.

Instead of being taxed for a wasteful system that is at the control of politicians, I'd rather save the money myself. If I was forced to agree with some extent of unemployment checks, I would argue they should last no longer than 2 months. If you can't find an alternative income after that, then it's time to start selling your things and moving out. We're human beings and we have to adapt when necessary.

That actually proves my argument completely. You place blame on the system for feeding and enabling your mother's choices.

Let's take another example to compare it to.

You have an extremely obese man and a enabling wife who feeds him whenever he demands.

The man continues to grow larger and his health continues to deteriorate. He eventually succombs to his own condition.

When we reflect on who's at fault, you must go to the source. The man was 100% responsible for his own actions, but the wife was not much help, either. You could argue that I'm placing a small portion of the blame on the system, but primarily the blame is being placed on the individual. My mother is 100% responsible for her own life and well-being. The enabler could or could not be argued to share a portion of the responsibility. But ultimately, the responsibility lies with the individual.

Back
Top Bottom