• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

5 million won't have a merry Christmas

So you seem to be a Libertarian when it suits you. It was your mother's responsibility to use that money to support herself, live frugally, and look for a job while she received that money. You seem to want to blame the company that made the gun for a child getting ahold of his dad's gun and hurting himself with it.

Personal responsibility seems to go RIGHT out the window when it actually GETS personal.

Are you actually READING what I write? Reading entails comprehension, not just scanning a few keywords to make up a quick assessment.

I made the exact opposite argument. Unemployment checks should NOT have been distributed to my mother. I'm using my personal story to facilitate my own libertarian arguments. I'm against unemployment compensation, regardless of who's on the receiving end.

No, I am not. But thanks for your libel.

Really? Read your posts about your mom's bad decisions that she apparently made thanks to being on UE, and then accuse me again.

Are you actually READING what I write? Reading entails comprehension, not just scanning a few keywords to make up a quick assessment.

I made the exact opposite argument. Unemployment checks should NOT have been distributed to my mother. I'm using my personal story to facilitate my own libertarian arguments. I'm against unemployment compensation, regardless of who's on the receiving end.
You said "the unemployment checks did, IMHO, provide the incentive to lie down when she should have been picking herself up again", meaning you place blame on the system rather than on the individual.

You seem to be an armchair Libertarian, I see no other way to call it.

You said "the unemployment checks did, IMHO, provide the incentive to lie down when she should have been picking herself up again", meaning you place blame on the system rather than on the individual.

You seem to be an armchair Libertarian, I see no other way to call it.

How does that = supporting the compensation?

Individuals are responsible for themselves, and my mother is no exception. But that doesn't, in any way, justify the mindless compensation benefits that are falsely called an "insurance" program.

Just because the system provides the incentive does not mean the system is 100% at fault.

Really? Read your posts about your mom's bad decisions that she apparently made thanks to being on UE, and then accuse me again.

My mom was irresponsible way before the unemployment benefits were kicking in. But real life sort of forces individual to be responsible or to suffer consequences. Instead, we shield individuals from having any responsibility by placating and subsidizing their own personal lifestyles.

Like, the corporate shareholders of GM are liable for their company failures, but it is the system that promotes irresponsibility by bailing them out. My mother did not deserve, nor did she need, a public bailout. What she needed was to fall on her face in order to realize she made a mistake.

People do pay into unemployment and deserve to draw on it for no more than 26 wks. That's my opinion. Much over is just killing any incentive to work.
It's amazing, in Denmark , they allowed something like five yrs, then 4, then 2 or three years. Amazingly, people were able to find work shortly before their benefits ran out each time. It didn't matter how long they were allowed to collect, they collected as long as they could. I think the word is funemployment.

Unemployment is a dissinsentive to work by definition. Remove the dissinsentive and as a matter of course, people will find a job, any job because they have to. With unemployment, they don't have to.

How does that = supporting the compensation?

Individuals are responsible for themselves, and my mother is no exception. But that doesn't, in any way, justify the mindless compensation benefits that are falsely called an "insurance" program.

Just because the system provides the incentive does not mean the system is 100% at fault.
You're always "Personal responsibility, rah rah rah!" and saying that personal responsibility is paramount in these kinds of things, yet when it comes to something that hits close to home, all of a sudden you're shifting blame.

The title 5,000,000 people won't have a Merry Christmas is ridiculous. If an unemployment check is the only thing standing between them and a Merry Christmas, then I say they are WAY too dependent on government. If they are really poor (which I doubt many are) There are plenty of places to apply to get new toys and clothes for kids. I'm going to adopt a family myself from the Salvation Army, since I have very few people to buy for.

libs think if some of us are doing well, we impose misery and squalor on those who are poor and unemployed

Unemployment is a dissinsentive to work by definition. Remove the dissinsentive and as a matter of course, people will find a job, any job because they have to. With unemployment, they don't have to.

the main agenda of the left is to make as many people as possible dependent on the government

So. Let me get this straight. Elijah shares very personal information about his mother and how that has shaped his views on unemployment compensation, and a number of posters have jumped his ass. This is the second time in two days I have seen a poster share this kind of rather painful truth with our forum and then get shafted for it -- ending up having to defend himself from other posters who would criticize his take. And not even read his posts carefully enough to understand what he's said.

Nice job.

So. Let me get this straight. Elijah shares very personal information about his mother and how that has shaped his views on unemployment compensation, and a number of posters have jumped his ass. This is the second time in two days I have seen a poster share this kind of rather painful truth with our forum and then get shafted for it -- ending up having to defend himself from other posters who would criticize his take. And not even read his posts carefully enough to understand what he's said.

Nice job.
I really have no sympathy. I'm not going to tiptoe around someone just because they used personal information to try to prove a political point. If you involve your personal life with politics, your personal life WILL be examined and you wont always like what gets said. If you dont like that, then use your personal life as capital when trying to discuss a political issue. Using your own problems as leverage in a debate puts them on the same level as anything else presented regarding an argument.

I'd expect no less of myself or anyone else on here.

I didnt know they voted on this TODAY! Im on unemployment and Im always on top of this... but it seems not this time. I need $32K a year just to SURVIVE. Ive been looking for a LONG time. Im trying to sell cars in my time to make some money. I WANT TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :boohoo: Im literally in tears. Im in sales as a profession and all I get offered is CRAP jobs with 100% commission to sell things no one wants. For REAL jobs the employeers want me to have a current base of clients so I get hit the floor running..... which I do not have. I cant tell anyone how bad this is for me. it doesnt help that my industry (IT) isnt a industry to even get into now. there are no profits in hardware anymore. there are no profits in software. all my client leads are dead cold. i either have too much experience or not enough. this is a nuclear bomb for me.

I didnt know they voted on this TODAY! Im on unemployment and Im always on top of this... but it seems not this time. I need $32K a year just to SURVIVE. Ive been looking for a LONG time. Im trying to sell cars in my time to make some money. I WANT TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :boohoo: Im literally in tears. Im in sales as a profession and all I get offered is CRAP jobs with 100% commission to sell things no one wants. For REAL jobs the employeers want me to have a current base of clients so I get hit the floor running..... which I do not have. I cant tell anyone how bad this is for me. it doesnt help that my industry (IT) isnt a industry to even get into now. there are no profits in hardware anymore. there are no profits in software. all my client leads are dead cold. i either have too much experience or not enough. this is a nuclear bomb for me.

It's difficult to switch careers or move but that sometimes what you have to do. I switched careers in June - fortunately it was a smooth transition between jobs but I had seen the writing on the wall.

Check out Navistar though - they are moving another division to Northern Illinois next summer.

Last edited:

Oh, Noodle. I am so sorry. I've also heard people say that all that's out there are commission jobs. Commission jobs take time to establish. They're not easy in the very best of times.

I have a friend who just started a business selling software/hardware configurations. He had a list of clients that he was able to take with him when his company let him go. He's found what you're saying -- that budgets have been slashed to the quick. He's making a living, but it's not what he was making before....and he's scrambling.

Your post makes it real, Noodle. I am sorry you're having to go through this.

my dad is visiting on sunday and he doesnt even know i lost my job
i cant tell him becuase it would DESTROY him
he wouldnt sleep and he is 67. he had a heart attack 4 years ago and i cant put him through this
please GOD have a re-vote

If you've been unable to find a job for such a long period of time, I don't see how three more months of subsistence level checks would fix the structural problems underlying your situation and the economy at large.

The title 5,000,000 people won't have a Merry Christmas is ridiculous. If an unemployment check is the only thing standing between them and a Merry Christmas, then I say they are WAY too dependent on government. If they are really poor (which I doubt many are) There are plenty of places to apply to get new toys and clothes for kids. I'm going to adopt a family myself from the Salvation Army, since I have very few people to buy for.

First Christmas should be about Jesus not food, drink and presents.

I am going on a toy for tots biker run the 5th. Last year they estimated over 6,000 bikes went on this event. It is spnsored by ABATE and the Shriners.

Companies are looking for truck drivers. Maybe a career change will help

Notice it was bi-partisan on both sides of the issue

If you've been unable to find a job for such a long period of time, I don't see how three more months of subsistence level checks would fix the structural problems underlying your situation and the economy at large.

in hopes the economy would change.

how can i afford the classes? also i cant drive stick. ive thought of this before. my 2 friends drive trucks and said their companies arent hiring :(

An awful lot of guys get temporary jobs as limo or taxi drivers, Noodle. Cash business. You need a pulse and a clean driving record. They're always looking for drivers. If you're good at converting company rides to personals, you can probably make pretty close to $100 a day cash in the Chicago area. If you look into this, be sure to go with a reputable company.

Edit: Illinois has programs within unemployment that will pay for retraining...free schooling. Truck driving is a popular school. I think companies are always looking for drivers who'll go over the road...

Look into retail sales....even if it's only seasonal work, sometimes those jobs turn into permanent positions if you're good.

Last edited:

I doubt that the IT industry is going to be fixed by February, so this bill wouldn't have done anything to address the structural issues you're dealing with.

As noted above, your best bet might be to look into other related fields. If you have a knack for sales, there are all sorts of other industries that you could try your hand at. A buddy of mine without any experience in the field just started working at the mall selling cell phones. He says he's making $10-15/hr.

edit: As to affording classes, a friend's mother who was unemployed just had her retraining classes paid for by the government.

Either way, it beats crossing your fingers and hoping for month to month extensions.

Last edited:

how can i afford the classes? also i cant drive stick. ive thought of this before. my 2 friends drive trucks and said their companies arent hiring :(

Often the government will help unemployed with tuition money. They will teach you to shift. A truck shifts much different than a car.

I had back surgery in 2009 did not work for almost a year. I am on my third job this year since March. I like this job will stay here a while

I WONT get specific but I have looked at MANY alternatives regarding schooling...... I do not qualify for ANY of them.
I have a Bachalors degree.... and anyone that has that wont qualify for schooling. If you folks can find out different I would LOVE to hear it.
My credit is crap because of 2 things.....
I was robbed and attacked while... again not being employeed at the time 7 years ago and wound up with a $40,000+ hospital bill I couldnt pay...... hence BK

Also my exmanager got me into a "company" that turned out to be FAKE and used my signature and name for THOUSANDS of dollars in cell phones and furthur destroyed my credit.
THEEEEEN.... there is a car company call TRIAD FINANCE that ripped me off for about $14,000
The owners were barred from doing business in Illinois and then with MANY complaints was "bought out" by other "investors" to return as ANOTHER scam company.

So my credit sucks.

Back
Top Bottom