• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

5 Famous Actors Who Hate Their Most Iconic Roles

Gathomas88

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative

It's actually kind of funny to see how many actors famous for "bad boy" characters actually meant for them to be taken ironically, or thought of them as being irredeemable douchebags.

Kind of restores my faith in humanity a little bit. :lol:

Last edited:
no mention of kim kardashian and her sex tape? very disappointing list

Would have never imagined Sean hating his role as Bond. Feels like a kick to my childhood, interesting though.

I had a funny feeling that I would see Robert Pattinson in that article. ;):lol:

Good read! I loved Christopher Plummer's assessment of his character. :lamo

Thanks! :)

Oh, and no, Robert Pattinson couldn't hate Twilight as much as I do.

It's actually kind of funny to see how many actors famous for "bad boy" characters actually meant for them to be taken ironically, or thought of them as being irredeemable douchebags.

You know, I'd think that any good actor would hate an iconic role. Restricts the movement and performance of their craft.

Good read! I loved Christopher Plummer's assessment of his character. :lamo

Thanks! :)

Oh, and no, Robert Pattinson couldn't hate Twilight as much as I do.

Oh famous actors, not good or great actors, that's why Pattinson is on the list. :mrgreen:

Oh famous actors, not good or great actors, that's why Pattinson is on the list. :mrgreen:

Very astute observation! :D

Twilight is dreadful. :( (I know this because certain family members have insisted on watching it in my presence):boom

I never considered Marlon Brando's most iconic role to be from "A Streetcar Named Desire;" I always felt it was his role in "On The Waterfront." I agree with his position that his character in Streetcar was an asshole (well acted though).

I was aware of Sean Connery's dislike of James Bond, but that seems like bad cess for no good reason. It made him a star and opened up all sorts of doors for him.

I recall Christopher Reeves and Superman. It did kill his career because it was a recurring TV series. More people watch TV than go to movies and once you become a TV Icon (like Leonard Nemoy's Mr Spock) it becomes hard to break out of when you try other acting work.

As for the Twilight guy? Who cares? He's a lousy actor. LOL ;)

Last edited:

Twilight is dreadful. :( (I know this because certain family members have insisted on watching it in my presence):boom

I feel your pain, my daughter loved the books and the movies. I love her so I sat through them trying not to groan. Could be worse let me tell you. I recently sat through After Earth. :mrgreen:

Surprised Bill Shatner (Captain Kirk) wasn't on the list, though I think he doesn't hate the character so much as being flabbergasted that most of the attention he gets is for that 1960s role.

I never considered Marlon Brando's most iconic role to be from "A Streetcar Named Desire;" I always felt it was his role in "On The Waterfront." I agree with his position that his character in Streetcar was an asshole.

I was aware of Sean Connery's dislike of James Bond, but that seems like bad cess for no good reason. It made him a star and opened up all sorts of doors for him.

I recall Christopher Reeves and Superman. It did kill his career because it was a recurring TV series. More people watch TV than go to movies and once you become a TV Icon (like Leonard Nemoy's Mr Spock) it becomes hard to break out of when you try other acting work.

As for the Twilight guy? Who cares? He's a lousy actor. LOL ;)

Heh, when I think of Brando I see the Island of Dr. Moreau. Even the Godfather. I never got the whole Stellaaaaaah thing. As for Connery, you're right on, segued him into a career. And Chris Reeve, I didn't even think he was much as Superman and certainly never identified him as such when I think of Superman.

Surprised Bill Shatner (Captain Kirk) wasn't on the list, though I think he doesn't hate the character so much as being flabbergasted that most of the attention he gets is for that 1960s role.

I'm not surprised. I think Shatner is happy to be in the public eye regardless of why. He also did a good job as "Denny Crane" in L.A. Law.

Interesting. Makes me think about the BS hoisted on men about what makes them men and what women look for in them. Toxic.

I feel your pain, my daughter loved the books and the movies. I love her so I sat through them trying not to groan. Could be worse let me tell you. I recently sat through After Earth. :mrgreen:

My daughter was just old enough I didn't have to go and watch with her. Thank all the powers that be. :p

After Earth??????? Oh dear God. LOL

I'm not surprised. I think Shatner is happy to be in the public eye regardless of why. He also did a good job as "Denny Crane" in L.A. Law.

Boston Legal.

Alec Guinness is well-known for hating Star Wars, and was pissed that Obi-Wan Kenobi was his most iconic role as opposed to, say, his part in Bridge On The River Kwai.

Or Henry Winkler for playing "The Fonz" on Happy Days.

Boston Legal.

Alec Guinness is well-known for hating Star Wars, and was pissed that Obi-Wan Kenobi was his most iconic role as opposed to, say, his part in Bridge On The River Kwai.

Thanks for the correction. :)

As for Alec Guiness? I always thought his iconic roll was Bridge too. I like Star Wars but I am not a "fan boy" of it. For example, I still think Harrison Ford's iconic roll is Indiana Jones not Han Solo (although I'd vote Blade Runner was the best picture he ever worked in).

Thanks for the correction. :)

As for Alec Guiness? I always thought his iconic roll was Bridge too. I like Star Wars but I am not a "fan boy" of it. For example, I still think Harrison Ford's iconic roll is Indiana Jones not Han Solo (although I'd vote Blade Runner was the best picture he ever worked in).

Well, 95% of people, if you asked them who Alec Guinness played, they'd say Obi-Wan Kenobi. And I'm a huge Star Wars fan but not so blinded by fanboism that I can't see those films' faults.

I had a funny feeling that I would see Robert Pattinson in that article. ;):lol:

To be fair, the title of the article was 5 FAMOUS ACTORS Who Hate Their Most Iconic Roles.

The words famous and actor being the important words here.

I have been cursed with a girlfriend that watches the last movie over and over again.

She like the vampires and the dogs.

Heh, when I think of Brando I see the Island of Dr. Moreau. Even the Godfather. I never got the whole Stellaaaaaah thing. As for Connery, you're right on, segued him into a career. And Chris Reeve, I didn't even think he was much as Superman and certainly never identified him as such when I think of Superman.

I think you mean George Reeves not Christopher Reeve.

Someone is in the closest about their love for twilight. :)

Back
Top Bottom