• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

5 Facts You Should Know About the Wealthiest One Percent of Americans

This is simplistic at best and cannot be aggregated to the whole of the population. Particularly given the corruption of the markets into the corporate capitalist model we have now where economic mobility is shunted even further.

A proper plan with diminished damage is a good idea, but it's not going to work out all the time. Not everyone wins, even if they planned accordingly.

Duh, I can't plan for every single person on the planet.
Like I said though, your always gonna miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

So if your solution is, that there is no hope, throw in the towel and wallow in self pity and misery.

yeah same effect. Some people have good "chance" and others don't. :cool:

To me there is a difference, luck implies a mystical force, chance is just the circumstances one encounters and/or lives in.
Even a person with bad circumstances can come out on top, just depends on how you handle them.

To me there is a difference, luck implies a mystical force, chance is just the circumstances one encounters and/or lives in.
Even a person with bad circumstances can come out on top, just depends on how you handle them.

I don't believe in a mystical force or anything like that. I guess I use those words interchangeably. Anyhow, my original point is that everyone starts in a different place in the race of life. People who get a large head start do not deserve as much credit for their success as people give them. But I have immense respect for those who start out with little, and make it big. That being said, those people usually have more chances to succeed than others through random chance events. So yes, it is their personal decisions and attitude, but that doesn't cover it. I know someone who is smart, optimistic, and hard working, but dirt poor. Is that his fault? His lack of success doesn't come from a lack of trying or self pity. i think that's what Ikari is trying to get at here.

I don't believe in a mystical force or anything like that. I guess I use those words interchangeably. Anyhow, my original point is that everyone starts in a different place in the race of life. People who get a large head start do not deserve as much credit for their success as people give them. But I have immense respect for those who start out with little, and make it big. That being said, those people usually have more chances to succeed than others through random chance events. So yes, it is their personal decisions and attitude, but that doesn't cover it. I know someone who is smart, optimistic, and hard working, but dirt poor. Is that his fault? His lack of success doesn't come from a lack of trying or self pity. i think that's what Ikari is trying to get at here.

If a person is smart, optimistic and hard working, it's more than likely that they eventually, won't be dirt poor.
We can't make a reasonable judgement either way right now though, until they have lived most of their life.

If a person is smart, optimistic and hard working, it's more than likely that they eventually, won't be dirt poor.
We can't make a reasonable judgement either way right now though, until they have lived most of their life.

Fair enough. He's in his mid thirties, though.

It points out the irrelevance of the fact, and, how it's misleading.

In a democratic republic where almost all adults can vote, a great and growing income disparity is hardly irrelevant...... unless of course you just don't give a damn about the country and its future.

In a democratic republic where almost all adults can vote, a great and growing income disparity is hardly irrelevant...... unless of course you just don't give a damn about the country and its future.

People care about themselves. That's just how it is. And guess what? The government you seem to put so much trust in is full of people who care only about themselves.

All I see are businesses, that are very interested in people trading them their "worthless" paper dollars, for PM's.
That says a lot to me.

Well, I don't think you're looking hard enough. When I talk about PM investment I'm not talking about goldline or some such thing that Rush or Beck is shilling for. Those are just scams playing on fear. Gold hasn't been worth buying since the recession started, no question.

Silver is different, it hasn't had the same massive overvaluation, but the worse the economy gets the more likely it is that silver will return to its historic ratio to gold. But base metals are where the real potential is at, no doubt. Copper is crazy undervalued.

Are paper dollars worthless? Not today. But we'll see how long that lasts.

:rofl
Income redistribution? Look at the thread your in. Income is only being redistributed in one direction, and it's not the direction you want it to be. The poor people would be fine if it weren't for their income being redistributed to the top.

Really? Then why is Obama known as the food stamp president?

Great post, great thread... it's called trickle UP economics and it's been increasing exponentially since Reagan.

Like the poker table, when one player controls all the chips, and others can no longer afford to borrow from him to keep the game going... the game ends.

Last time that happened it was called the GREAT DEPRESSION.

Great post, great thread... it's called trickle UP economics and it's been increasing exponentially since Reagan.

Like the poker table, when one player controls all the chips, and others can no longer afford to borrow from him to keep the game going... the game ends.

Last time that happened it was called the GREAT DEPRESSION.

the way to stop that is the other players have to get better skills

Or institute a 100% estate tax so that every starts from an equal point.

that would justify assassination in my opinion

smart attractive athletic people would still have advantages over those coming from stupid, drug addicted or untalented parents

that would justify assassination in my opinion

smart attractive athletic people would still have advantages over those coming from stupid, drug addicted or untalented parents

Smart attractive athletic people can also be drug addicts. Re: baseball doping scandal.

Smart attractive athletic people can also be drug addicts. Re: baseball doping scandal.

true enough. but that really isn't relevant to the point I was making

who do you think is gonna have a better chance at being a pro tennis player? Roseanne Barr's offspring or the child of Andre Agassi and Stefi Graf?

true enough. but that really isn't relevant to the point I was making

who do you think is gonna have a better chance at being a pro tennis player?

Well certainly not Stephen Hawking.

Roseanne Barr's offspring or the child of Andre Agassi and Stefi Graf?

You never can tell and it is certainly not something I place a bet on.

Μολὼν λαβέ;1059855592 said:
Really? Then why is Obama known as the food stamp president?

If the poor's share of the wealth was actually increasing compared to the rich's, you would have a point. Since it isn't, you don't.

Back
Top Bottom