• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

5 dead, 16 hospitalized in mass shooting at Highland Park Fourth of July parade, shooter being sought

And they were all wrong, weren’t they? So what should happen if someone says they want to kill everyone? Do you agree with the actions of his parents then?
so a person is having a bad day at work and says "i should just kill them all" to their spouse.

what happens next?

Right.

It says nothing about most gun owners sacrificing children.

Use Jarts as an analogy. But I suspect you are so poutraged you can’t undrdtsnd the basic arguments anyway.

Oh. So the millions and millions of AR15 owners aren't sacrificing children. The sacrificing children thing was just some irrelevant bullshit you tossed in.

Jarts? The "ban" on lawn darts? Yeah, it was pretty stupid.

You can't really make an argument, can you?

All rifles not just AR's are used in 2 or 3 percent of homicides each year. Banning them won't make anyone safer!
none of use are gonna be safer. we're swimming in firearms and people being gunned down will continue unabated.

The poster you replied to is correct. Seems like no number of needless deaths is big enough, outrageous enough to divert attention from the common denominator in all these (over 300 so far this year), mass shootings. The gun. Your country is only second to third-world Brazil in the number of annual fatalities from gunshot; never mind the maiming and life-changing injuries they cause. And America claims to be a civilised and advanced modern nation! What we in Europe see is a country rapidly descending into a violent, third world banana republic where the gun rules and nobody gives a damn about addressing an epidemic. Because 'freedom!' and a wretched, anachronistic 'right' which has no place in the modern world any more than burning witches does.

The denominator is >400,000,000.

Oh. So the millions and millions of AR15 owners aren't sacrificing children. The sacrificing children thing was just some irrelevant bullshit you tossed in.

Jarts? The "ban" on lawn darts? Yeah, it was pretty stupid.

You can't really make an argument, can you?
You really can’t understand!

I mean, one other poster gets what I’m saying. But you just can’t get your mind around it. Kinda like discussing The Precious with Gollum.

It’s kinda hilarious, but also quite sad.

While posters are quoting all manner of numbers, I took a few minutes to crunch some numbers myself. [Math available upon request.]

In 2020, 45,222 gunshot deaths were reported by Pew Research*. If we represent those deaths in terms of the length of a standard casket and then placed 45,222 caskets end to end, it would take a driver an hour -- 60 minutes -- to drive past them at 60 miles/hr. Perhaps that will provide an image which folks can grasp. Numbers by themselves are just that -- numbers. Caskets, though represent many things we're familiar with, including the suffering of families.

Regards, stay safe 'n well 'n un-shot.

* Ref:https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2022/02/03/what-the-data-says-about-gun-deaths-in-the-u-s/

While posters are quoting all manner of numbers, I took a few minutes to crunch some numbers myself. [Math available upon request.]

In 2020, 45,222 gunshot deaths were reported by Pew Research*. If we represent those deaths in terms of the length of a standard casket and then placed 45,222 caskets end to end, it would take a driver an hour -- 60 minutes -- to drive past them at 60 miles/hr. Perhaps that will provide an image which folks can grasp. Numbers by themselves are just that -- numbers. Caskets, though represent many things we're familiar with, including the suffering of families.

* Ref:https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2022/02/03/what-the-data-says-about-gun-deaths-in-the-u-s/
and that's just the ones that were shot and died.

a ton more (way more than died) were shot and survived (with disabilities, emotional trauma, etc). some will fully recover.

and that's just the ones that were shot and died.

a ton more (way more than died) were shot and survived (with disabilities, emotional trauma, etc). some will fully recover.

Hi, CaughtinThe.

Thank you for taking time to read my post and reply. It is difficult to reconcile our present gun laws with an actual need to possess a gun. I can fully understand such a need for, say, someone living in the wilds whose main protein source is wild game. For a city dweller, such justification is difficult to demonstrate by rational argument.

You really can’t understand!

I mean, one other poster gets what I’m saying. But you just can’t get your mind around it. Kinda like discussing The Precious with Gollum.

It’s kinda hilarious, but also quite sad.

You're not really saying much. You're just tossing out things that I suppose are intended to support your earlier bigotry.

Tell you what. Go start a thread in the Gun Control section, explaining your "Jart" analogy and how it supports whatever it is you want regarding guns.

You aren't going to like your analogy in the end. But go ahead.

You're not really saying much. You're just tossing out things that I suppose are intended to support your earlier bigotry.

Tell you what. Go start a thread in the Gun Control section, explaining your "Jart" analogy and how it supports whatever it is you want regarding guns.

You aren't going to like your analogy in the end. But go ahead.
Why? The idiots there also have repeatedly been shown to not grasp simple arguments because of their undying devotion to The Precious.

Again, it’s not bigotry to be opposed to an object. Just because some idiots own that object, does not make all owners idiots. But there’s enough morons who have access to these weapons that makes it a problem for all of us, and the vast majority of nations on the globe understand that the harms of lightly regulated ownership vastly outweigh the benefits. Because most people have assault weapons as toys, and most people have guns because they’re scared of other people with guns.

Why? The idiots there also have repeatedly been shown to not grasp simple arguments because of their undying devotion to The Precious.

Again, it’s not bigotry to be opposed to an object. Just because some idiots own that object, does not make all owners idiots. But there’s enough morons who have access to these weapons that makes it a problem for all of us, and the vast majority of nations on the globe understand that the harms of lightly regulated ownership vastly outweigh the benefits. Because most people have assault weapons as toys, and most people have guns because they’re scared of other people with guns.
You don't leave any doubt as to where your bigotry is directed.

If you're afraid to explain and support your analogy, that's fine. As I said, you weren't going to end up liking it anyway.

You don't leave any doubt as to where your bigotry is directed.

If you're afraid to explain and support your analogy, that's fine. As I said, you weren't going to end up liking it anyway.
I have explained snd supported it. You’re strategy is to pretend it’s not understandable, even though you seem to already have the rebuttal in your head.

That’s irrational. Just like your undying devotion to your object of your affections

I have explained snd supported it. You’re strategy is to pretend it’s not understandable, even though you seem to already have the rebuttal in your head.

That’s irrational. Just like your undying devotion to your object of your affections

The post where you explained and supported your analogy is........?

Heck, I can't even find where you drew a conclusion from your analogy at all, let alone explained how you arrived at it. Can you direct me to that post?

The post where you explained and supported your analogy is........?

Heck, I can't even find where you drew a conclusion from your analogy at all, let alone explained how you arrived at it. Can you direct me to that post?
Yet you know I won’t like the conclusion.

Weird

All is well. The authorities have the gun that did this. I'm sure that gun will be on trial soon and condemned to be destroyed.

That killing gun will be off the streets so we can, now, get on with our lives.

Thank God!

Yet you know I won’t like the conclusion.

Weird

You won't like your own analogy, is what I said.

You aren't going to explain your analogy and draw a conclusion in the proper forum anyway. You're more about tossing silly marginalization and invective, than mounting a substantive argument.

So we're done here.

You won't like your own analogy, is what I said.

You aren't going to explain your analogy and draw a conclusion in the proper forum anyway. You're more about tossing silly marginalization and invective, than mounting a substantive argument.

So we're done here.
We are, mostly because you can’t even grasp my point of view because of your blindness.

Tired old clich arguments. No guns, no mass shootings; of which your country has suffered over 300 so far this year. I confidently expect the 'why not ban swimming pools?' excuse in addition to the above.
I think the word you were looking for is TRUE

I think the word you were looking for is TRUE
No, it is not. Let's have some more pro-gun excuses for the 45,000 firearm fatalities in 2020.

It's a shame that you never point out that things like this are the " normal " in Chicago.

What makes this shooting so special to you when 20-50 people get shot quite often on a typical Chicago weekend?

Maybe you should link this site while your still in your self righteous stage?

What the hell is wrong with you? This didn't happen in Chicago. Seems to me, all you want to do is bitch about Chicago.

I am talking about new laws that charge anyone who assisted in the purchase of an AR15 type weapon, as this father did, being charged with being an accessory to the murder if that weapon is used in a killing. That includes someone who allows access to their AR15-type weapons to someone who then commits mass murder.

The reason it's difficult to have the conversation is because some gun advocates want to lump all gun violence together so they can avoid a focused conversation. Gang gun violence, domestic gun violence, gun violence in the commission of a crime and one on one murders and the mass murder of innocent individuals going about their freedoms are different both in root cause and solutions. What we are trying to address here is the latter. We all should be able to enjoy in relative safety, church, parades, movies, grocery shopping and especially schools! Diverting to gang gun violence is just that a diversion. Want to talk gang gun violence start a thred.
I believe individuals have been charged in assisting in violent acts that provided the weapon. I know not all, and I understand you would like a sweeping broad rule that states if you give or purchase a firearm for someone who uses it in a crime you should be held liable. So I work in the firearms industry for a top 5 supplier. That type of law is too slippery. I believe if it's narrowed down to assisting someone who you know can not be in possession of a firearm that would be something everyone is open too, because any sane person should agree with that. However, every year I buy my Dad a gun for his birthday or fathers day. I know he can own them because he buys all kinds himself. If one day he committed a crime with one of those, should I be held under the same punishment? He's had guns before I was born and I'm 40, he never committed a crime before, but if he did then I get the same punishment?

Gang violence doesn't count because they only shoot each other....ok When in downtown Sacramento people where out at the clubs and gang violence broke out, and killed innocent people in a mass shooting.

I believe individuals have been charged in assisting in violent acts that provided the weapon. I know not all, and I understand you would like a sweeping broad rule that states if you give or purchase a firearm for someone who uses it in a crime you should be held liable. So I work in the firearms industry for a top 5 supplier. That type of law is too slippery. I believe if it's narrowed down to assisting someone who you know can not be in possession of a firearm that would be something everyone is open too, because any sane person should agree with that. However, every year I buy my Dad a gun for his birthday or fathers day. I know he can own them because he buys all kinds himself. If one day he committed a crime with one of those, should I be held under the same punishment? He's had guns before I was born and I'm 40, he never committed a crime before, but if he did then I get the same punishment?

Gang violence doesn't count because they only shoot each other....ok When in downtown Sacramento people where out at the clubs and gang violence broke out, and killed innocent people in a mass shooting.
Perhaps I wasn't clear enough when I said "assisted". By that I meant someone who for whatever reason, age, record failing a background check etc. Could not purchase it themselves. Purchasing as a gift for someone who could legally buy it themselves was not my intent.

Back
Top Bottom