• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

5 dead, 16 hospitalized in mass shooting at Highland Park Fourth of July parade, shooter being sought

Shut your eyes and stick a pin in a map. As of today the US has had 309 mass shootings. What are the odds you'll surpass 1000 by year end?
We probably won't get to a thousand but even if we did nothing will change.

The slaughters will continue. Men women and children.

Yes, it's a cost-benefit issue for the gun nuts, and clearly children's lives are a small price to pay for their 'liberty'.
I'm convinced that a large percentage of people who won't budge still wouldn't budge if their own 4-year-old daughter was gunned down.

And it's really only because they are a product of their environment. Had they been born and raised in, for example, the UK then they would be different. They're a product of their environment like guys are a product of their environment who were born and raised on the poor side of Chicago.

I'm convinced that a large percentage of people who won't budge still wouldn't budge if their own 4-year-old daughter was gunned down.

And it's really only because they are a product of their environment. Had they been born and raised in, for example, the UK then they would be different. They're a product of their environment like guys are a product of their environment who were born and raised on the poor side of Chicago.
2019 the UK suffered thirty (30), fatal shootings, total. The US, 45,000+ (CDC stats). Guess where I feel safer and more free?

2019 the UK suffered thirty (30), fatal shootings, total. The US, 45,000+ (CDC stats). Guess where I feel safer and more free?
We love shooting each other. It makes some people feel more manly.

🤡

I live where 3 states meet. I buy pot in one state, fireworks in another. Both are illegal in my state.

Online gambling, I grab a tower in an adjoining state.

Its a shit show. We need one country, one set of laws. Anything less simply doesn't work.
Thank you!!!!!!

And when we look at the socio-economic status of those races we get a clear picture why.

Hmm… those folks are so poor they spend money on guns and kill each other is a lousy argument.

So what would be the actual reason for red states having a higher rate of firearm deaths if it has nothing to do with government policies? Hotter climate?

Why abandon your socio-economic theory for those ‘red’ states?

And don't these stats kind of throw a wrench in the conservative argument that lax gun laws make the citizens safer?

Laws without adequate enforcement are apt to be treated as mere suggestions. It is estimated that under 2% of the population is responsible for over 90% of the crimes, yet people freak out when the incarceration rate is at or near 1%.

It is already illegal for a ‘prohibited person’ to possess any gun, yet that most basic of “gun control” laws is not being adequately enforced. The moron (and twice convicted felon) in CA who killed two LEOs (and then himself) had received two years (of unsupervised?) probation after having been caught for illegal gun (and meth) possession.

Highland Park is NOT in Cook County...
You have to give the "shall not be infringed" folks a lot of credit. They, and their media partners, have a ton of Americans thinking that all the murders happen in Chicago and not in places like St Louis, Texas, etc. We know because they're go to move anytime there's a shooting anywhere in Illinois that they're going to mention Chicago.

Hell, they're going to mention Chicago if there's a shooting in Texas.

Ronald Reagan made that impossible.

Not an answer.

I'm for putting these kinds of violent people away where they cannot gain access to firearms. Are you with me?

It's likely the guy rapper with pink hair in pink goggles who has a weird picture of him with a Trump flag was either joking or mocking Trump. "All you need to know" are his likes on Twitter. More compelling evidcence of his political alignment than a goof pic.

There are lots and lots of right wingers on Twitter....being on Twitter does not make you from the left.....Trump was on Twitter, Musk is on Twitter....Marjorie the nutcase Green had a twitter account.

Not an answer.

I'm for putting these kinds of violent people away where they cannot gain access to firearms. Are you with me?
The Supreme Court said you cannot do that....you cannot institutionalize anyone for something that is not a crime....

Hmm… those folks are so poor they spend money on guns and kill each other is a lousy argument.

Why abandon your socio-economic theory for those ‘red’ states?

Laws without adequate enforcement are apt to be treated as mere suggestions. It is estimated that under 2% of the population is responsible for over 90% of the crimes, yet people freak out when the incarceration rate is at or near 1%.

It is already illegal for a ‘prohibited person’ to possess any gun, yet that most basic of “gun control” laws is not being adequately enforced. The moron (and twice convicted felon) in CA who killed two LEOs (and then himself) had received two years (of unsupervised?) probation after having been caught for illegal gun (and meth) possession.

Was Salvador Ramos a prohibited person? (Uvalde)
Was Bobby Crimo a prohibited person? (Highland Park)
Was Patrick Crusius a prohibited person? (El Paso)
Was Payton Gendron a prohibited person? (Buffalo)

Shall I go on?

......and just how do you go about diagnosing them before they act out? What about due process? As far as I'm concerned it's a lot easier and lot safer to lock up the firearms.

The Supreme Court said you cannot do that....you cannot institutionalize anyone for something that is not a crime....

Can you cite that for me?

And, I'll ask again --- I'm for putting these kinds of violent people away where they cannot gain access to firearms. Are you with me?

......and just how do you go about diagnosing them away before they act out? What about due process?

I don't know all of the answers. I just think that getting these people with patterns of violence away from firearms is the key. Due process will have to be part of it, of course.

As far as I'm concerned it's a lot easier and lot safer to lock up the firearms.

How? How do you "lock up" almost 400 million firearms?

Can you cite that for me?

And, I'll ask again --- I'm for putting these kinds of violent people away where they cannot gain access to firearms. Are you with me?
You never said which amendments you are comfortable ignoring?

Was Salvador Ramos a prohibited person? (Uvalde)
Was Bobby Crimo a prohibited person? (Highland Park)
Was Patrick Crusius a prohibited person? (El Paso)
Was Payton Gendron a prohibited person? (Buffalo)

Shall I go on?
.......and they ALL obtained their AR15 legally!

Crack cocaine isn't protected by the near fanatical worship of a constitutional amendment securing our right to have it. Guns are.

I have always said if there was going to be a turning point in our lifetimes, the firearm deaths of 20 children between 6 and 7 years of age at Sandy Hook in 2012 would have been it. It barely registered on the collective conscience's radar relevant to meaningful cultural reform vis-a-vis guns, and 10 years later things are worse than ever.

As a collective Americans are fine with how things are, if our lack of meaningful action is any indication. That's why I consider any possible change to be on a time scale spanning generations.
That's a great point, and why I don't think much will change. What seems to have happened is a general desensitization to these events, and eventually they could just end up becoming part of the norm in much of the same way inner city gun incidents are.

I don't know all of the answers. I just think that getting these people with patterns of violence away from firearms is the key. Due process will have to be part of it, of course.

How? How do you "lock up" almost 400 million firearms?
Easy, safe storage laws especially for AR15 type weapons. Nobody needs immediate access to anything other than a handgun

The Times articles, along with the 2012 trial of the Rochdale child sex abuse ring, prompted the House of Commons Home Affairs Committee to conduct hearings.[14] Following this and further articles from Norfolk, Rotherham Council commissioned an independent inquiry led by Professor Alexis Jay. In August 2014 the Jay report concluded that an estimated 1,400 children[15] had been sexually abused in Rotherham between 1997 and 2013, predominantly by British-Pakistani men.[13]

What a wonderful justice system, we should really be putting these people on a pedestal and emulating them. Its a good thing none of the victims fathers were armed or else we might have lost some BIPOC lives. Gun control really does work.

Back
Top Bottom