• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

5 dead, 16 hospitalized in mass shooting at Highland Park Fourth of July parade, shooter being sought

It would take generations, and in conjunction with other steps. Just as it took generations to establish the American gun culture that we live in now.

What are the other steps?

And yet, they have shootings daily and mass shootings frequently.....even though they have stricter gun laws than many places. Their gun violence is increasing.

And the answer is development of communities/infrastructure. Not lax gun laws that will only lead to more violence.

No, I don't think Chicago would be safer with everyone carrying guns. Some people should not be allowed to even be in the same room as a firearm.

And yet it's easier in America for an 18 year old with a history of torturing animals to get an AR-15 than it is for them to get a driver's license.

Near as I can understand, since he's a white make he is MAGA. My further understanding is that since Trump's mere existence creates hatred in so many people that this shooting, by a white guy, is Trump's fault.
Him at a Trump rally.

PHOTO-Highland-Park-Shooter-Robert-Crimo-At-Trump-Maga-Rally-2.jpg

And the answer is development of communities/infrastructure. Not lax gun laws that will only lead to more violence.

And yet it's easier in America for an 18 year old with a history of torturing animals to get an AR-15 than it is for them to get a driver's license.

Any person who tortures animals shouldn't be allowed to purchase a gun................ and should be under psychiatric care.

We didnt have the internet
Now you become FAMOUS almost immediately
Biggest thing i remember in the 70's was Kent State.....

That would have gone viral in 5 minutes nowadays.....

But back then angry young men used their fists to settle disputes.....and then shook hands after

I dunno.....this is beyond my comprehension

The 70s had serial killers. The people who settle things with their fists aren't the same people who commit mass murders.

Him at a Trump rally.
Well, if third hand testimony about Trump trying to grab the steering wheel of the presidential limo and strangle a secret service agent is enough to convince you that the story is true then it's no wonder that a selfie of a guy in a Where's Waldo outfit standing on the road in front of people holding a Trump sign is sure to convince you that he's a Trump supporter himself.

Come to think of it, it doesn't take much to get you guys all riled up about Trump. It's almost like you live for that shit.

Jesus, even the emo kids are in on it.

What are the other steps?
A reinterpretation of the 2A. Private gun ownership should be a privilege, not a right.
An aggressive promotion, expansion, and funding of mental health services, funded by taxpayers.
Expansion of social services in general, esp. those centered around troubled/high-risk youth.
The immediate cessation of valorizing anti-intellectualism and the willful promotion of contempt of education.
Gun control laws that at the very least make it more difficult to acquire firearms, for everyone. Severe penalties for lawful gun owners who do not properly secure their firearms and which are later used to commit murder as a result. Mandatory registration, licensing, and training, subject to yearly re-certification.
Stop romanticizing guns in our entertainment, in much the same way smoking was.

These are off the top of my head. They are NOT ironclad, they ARE subject to change, they are NOT exclusive, and they are NOT a one and done solution. So please don't make like I'm suggesting they are in your response.

Yup...that's the fancy description for POS loser males that I describe all the time in these sad threads.
psychopaths and/or mass murderers? wow. I wouldn't want you on my jury :)

Well, if third hand testimony about Trump trying to grab the steering wheel of the presidential limo and strangle a secret service agent is enough to convince you that the story is true then it's no wonder that a selfie of a guy in a Where's Waldo outfit standing on the road in front of people holding a Trump sign is sure to convince you that he's a Trump supporter himself.

Come to think of it, it doesn't take much to get you guys all riled up about Trump. It's almost like you live for that shit.
In fairness I did here he was an anti semite and a member of a right wing group out of Europe.

A reinterpretation of the 2A. Private gun ownership should be a privilege, not a right.

How would that look different than what it is now?

An aggressive promotion, expansion, and funding of mental health services, funded by taxpayers.
Expansion of social services in general, esp. those centered around troubled/high-risk youth.
The immediate cessation of valorizing anti-intellectualism and the willful promotion of contempt of education.
Gun control laws that at the very least make it more difficult to acquire firearms, for everyone. Severe penalties for lawful gun owners who do not properly secure their firearms and which are later used to commit murder as a result. Mandatory registration, licensing, and training, subject to yearly re-certification.
Stop romanticizing guns in our entertainment, in much the same way smoking was.

These are off the top of my head. They are NOT ironclad, they ARE subject to change, they are NOT exclusive, and they are NOT a one and done solution. So please don't make like I'm suggesting they are in your response.

This is all normal.

Guns have been around for a very very long time.

There is more at work than having guns available. Obviously.

Guns fit for a mass shooting have only been widely available to the public for about half a century (and we had a federal ban on semiautomatic weapons from 1994 to 2004). Mass shootings have become an American staple for the past 20+ years.

We've gotten to the point where I am consciously practicing situational awareness in every environment I find myself in. Lines of site, available exits, persons of interest (I am not pleased with my gym's floor layout - only one exit from the main workout area on the 2nd floor, unless you're willing to drop 15' to the ground floor via a balcony).

Which honestly, I should have been practicing situational awareness long before now. It's just the current epidemic of mass shootings in America have made me especially concerned, and that's a sad testament to our current culture.

Yeah, my wife and I go to concerts on a semi-regular basis and I'm always looking where the nearest exits are.

Will stricter gun laws in IL prevent someone from acquiring a firearm illegally in a nation with more guns than people?

Anyone selling stricter gun laws as a one time, final solution to gun violence is a bigger idiot than someone dismissing them outright.
The other thing to not lose sight of are straw purchases, which undermine the stricter gun laws in some states since there's a large amount of these purchases in states with weak laws and trafficked into the former. It plays a big role in the number of illegal guns used in poor neighborhoods or shipped for narco cartels in Mexico.

The worst act of U.S. domestic terrorism didn't involve guns from what I recall.

What was learned from that ?

They certainly increased government regulations on planes after 9/11...

Yeah, my wife and I go to concerts on a semi-regular basis and I'm always looking where the nearest exits are.
Smart, and like I said something everyone should have been doing anyway.

But in this culture? It's willful ignorance not to.

The other thing to not lose sight of are straw purchases, which undermine the stricter gun laws in some states since there's a large amount of these purchases in states with weak laws and trafficked into the former. It plays a big role in the number of illegal guns used in poor neighborhoods or shipped for narco cartels in Mexico.
Yes, and that's partly why stricter guns laws are NOT the be all end all solution to this problem. It requires a collective paradigm shift that will take generations.

In the meantime the gun violence will go on unabated.

The last murder in Highland Park, prior to this attack, was over a decade ago.

Thanks for reminding us conservatives apparently know literally nothing about the area

All conservatives need to know about Chicago is that there are crimes and there are black people.

Guns fit for a mass shooting have only been widely available to the public for about half a century (and we had a federal ban on semiautomatic weapons from 1994 to 2004). Mass shootings have become an American staple for the past 20+ years.

Incorrect. M1 carbines and their clones. Semi-automatic pistols of all sorts. All available for well over 50 years. Even if your claim was true; how do you account for the 30 years within your claim, where mass shootings were not "a staple"?

Nor were semi-automatic weapons banned from 1994 to 2004.

Yes, and that's partly why stricter guns laws are NOT the be all end all solution to this problem. It requires a collective paradigm shift that will take generations.

In the meantime the gun violence will go on unabated.
Yep, and I don't think that will change. I tend to be optimistic about things, but there's been little progress made in this country on the fronts you mentioned, which is why it's hard to see what the catalyst for that cultural shift is. At one point I thought the increase of shootings outside of the inner cities and not committed by gangs might move the needle, but it doesn't seem to. I say this because I remember how the crack cocaine epidemic became a national issue and everyone wanted to end the scourge once it became a problem outside of the inner city.

The problem is mental health, loss of discipline, and law and order.

It's not the guns, the guns are just a red herring to distract you from the underlying actual problems.
Mental health, discipline, law & order (other than shootings) - the US lines up ok with other Western nations. Gun crime is the outlier. Why is that?

Back
Top Bottom