• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

5 dead, 16 hospitalized in mass shooting at Highland Park Fourth of July parade, shooter being sought

His family is receiving threats on Facebook, people shouldn't do that.
Yup. His entire motivation for doing this could be to harm his family.

There's plenty in here I agree with. But relevant to the bolded, here's the thing:

1) American culture in the modern day is predicated on entitlement. Accompanying that entitlement is too many people adopting the mantle of victim when they don't receive what they feel they deserve.
2) Bullying, much like guns has been a fixture in American life since its founding. Why do we have to address that now, and not guns?
3) Economic survival dictates that some families have to have two working parents. It cannot be avoided, not without major social programs in place to help single income families make ends meet.
4) The internet (and its accompanying devices) definitely foster a sense of isolation and lack of community. Not sure what can be done there beyond an individual commitment to reduce one's personal time online, and hope for enough people to do the same until we reach critical mass.
5) Demonization of others (women, minorities, LGBTQ, etc.) definitely exacerbates the fear and hatred in a culture already brimming with it.
6) I most definitely agree that in the last 10-15 years there's been an almost concerted effort to belittle intelligence, to mistrust scientific fact in favor of faith, and to sow contempt for education. I consider it a direct threat to national security.

So we have all these factors working against the fostering of an intelligent, compassionate, community minded populace that doesn't have so many men reaching for guns to murder when things aren't going the way they like. It's not my intention to try and draw you into a long conversation (unless that's what you want ;) ), I'm just wondering out loud what, if anything, can be done about it or if we are past the point of no return.
Add in a culture that glorifies consumerism and leaves behind those who don't earn enough. Add in a work culture that gives a fraction of the Western norm for family time. Add in the wealthy worlds worst income disparity. Add in a level of political division that is wider than in other wealthy nations, and more closely embraces the extreme views.

I suspect there are a lot of contributing social factors that contribute to the gun violence, but since you will never get agreement to fix those issues, controlling guns better might be the only almost viable option.

Here's a possible picture of him:

FW2rv-KXgAIntf4

FW2rvy_VEAAkzfH

I saw those photo's and was going to wait until police actually release the photo, but if this is him at least we know he has a suit to either be buried in or wear to court.

He's got some YT videos online as well. Or did.

So crazy. This patriotic propaganda really sucks people in.

Screenshot_20220704-181744_Twitter.jpg

Guns are ubiquitous in America - more guns than people. ...

About 22% of Americans report owning guns.

There's a lot of them, but most people don't have one.

Another coward gets himself a high powered rifle and then goes after soft, defenseless targets. God bless America!

They never go after hard targets, like a police department or National Guard Armory. No, these ****ing ******s go after little children or ladies shopping or kids marching in a parade. The word "coward" should be made mandatory whenever talking or writing about these assholes.

Which is especially stupid because countries like India gained their freedom without a shot being fired.

The Berlin Wall fell, no shots fired.

Guns are used to repress people much more than to free them.

That is his IMDB too... wtf.

About 22% of Americans report owning guns.

There's a lot of them, but most people don't have one.
22% report owning guns. That says nothing about how many actually own them, how many have access to one, or can procure one or more easily.

So much would be solved if SCOTUS took its head out of its ass and instead of being paid off by the NRA they read the 2nd as it was intended... that gun owners are part of a well regulated militia and any body not participating in it lose their guns and be denied gun ownership.

We'll tell them you said what was intended by the 2nd Amendment. That should do it.

Which is especially stupid because countries like India gained their freedom without a shot being fired.

Indian rebellion of 1857......just one of many "without a shot fired" incidence's that eventually led to Indias independence.
Read your history.

David Leibowitz
@davidleibowitz

@ABC7Chicago
please look at Bobby Crimo “Awake” video on You Tube or Vimeo. He’s been thinking of mass murder for some time

Sigh. Another one who should've been in an institution before he hurt people.

This video or ?

Edit: Oh wait, there is more, sorry.

Guess that is the guy they are looking for ?

Last edited:
I do not accept that guns are not the problem. I acknowledge that guns (specifically their ubiquity in America and the ease of accessibility) are most definitely part of a large, complex problem requiring more than one shot (pun intended) approaches.

What I also acknowledge is that in the current American climate of partisan rancor, demonization of the other, and toxic masculinity/individualism there is little that can be done that will have a meaningful impact. We need a collective paradigm shift and we as a collective are not ready to accept that need.

Well you havent articulated an argument that supports your feelings on guns, so I'm not considering it then. They are part of the problem, a symptom, but not what should be the focus of the solution.

I also felt that you practically dismissed bullying...which is at an all time high and spread....due to social media. And it also involves what I discussed about the emotions of all kinds that emerge from the recognition of the LGBT community/students and the effects those have on all kids and many adults. That's also a driver of bullying. It didnt exist since the time of the FFs. It can be solved, it's amazing you dont believe that's something that can be remedied (from both your prior posts, that's stated and inferred.)

You spoke of a lot of choices. Choices that families and individuals can take...so how can they be impossible to change, or be unlikely? Every single 2-parent family can make lifestyle changes, move, etc and change their parenting and have 1 stay home. These are choices...and yet you want to IMPOSE gun laws on people, take our choices away? I just dont get it. Do you know our/our family's risks and circumstances?

Indian rebellion of 1857......just one of many "without a shot fired" incidence's that eventually led to Indias independence.
Read your history.

“Eventual”? India literally wouldn’t get independence for almost another century.

The rebellion of 1857 was so “succesful” that the leaders got strapped to cannons and blown into a million pieces.

Fact of the matter is.....armed revolt failed in India. Over, and over, and over and over, and over.

Back
Top Bottom