• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

5 dead, 16 hospitalized in mass shooting at Highland Park Fourth of July parade, shooter being sought

Just heard that on local news as well. How stupid or delusional was that? He made an effort to disguise himself...yet left that identifier behind?
Pretty hard to run through the crowd with an AR15 and not give yourself away. I think in his delusional mind he thought he could escape.

OK, but you will note that motive was not explicitly stated.

Scanned them, saw nothing that supported your claim. Please quote what does, I'm not wasting more time not finding what's not there.

Pretty hard to run through the crowd with an AR15 and not give yourself away. I think in his delusional mind he thought he could escape.

He got there with it. He spent a year planning. You can disguise such a weapon altho it's harder in July.

OTOH it's entirely possible he panicked or is just nuts 🤷

They're saying this guy planned for a year. We know that the Uvalde and Buffalo grocery store shooters planned way in advance and this is a known common characteristic. It was also mentioned in the link I posted yesterday by a psychiatrist.

These guys commonly plan...many expect/plan to die and so they are living thru, getting gratification out of, the planning and fantasizing.

It's not usually a spur of the moment thing, just reacting out of momentary rage. I think some of the workplace shootings are more like that. They go home, get whatever gun(s) they have there, and return.
I just have a really hard time believing no one that associates with these people knows anything. We need to do a better jib of getting people to report on this in the planning stages AND we need better intervention. Nicholas Cruz was well known to the cops...having been visited by social workers and law enforcement 36 times.

We are incapable of that shift. This is who we are. May as well sign on with the crowd that says "Meh - what are ya gonna do?" and wait for the next mass shooting.

Sad that this is the reality, but we'll have to see if the next generation can actually work for meaningful change. Assuming any of them survive us.

I rest my case regarding your 'opinion.' Defeatist and focused only on a bandaid that would only punish the law-abiding.

And it's probably obvious, but I disagree with the bold.

Agreed.

Why? Thousands of people use the AR 15 for things that have nothing to do with harming people. Just like knives, cars, etc.
Tens of millions of people, actually.

Repeal the 2A. Rewrite it to make it perfectly clear it does not guarantee a right to private gun ownership.
Buyback programs. All firearms thus secured summarily destroyed.
Applicants to possess firearms subject to strict background checks. Certification/re-certification, registration, and licensing required.
All automatic firearms (and any accessory that lets a semi-auto approximate full auto fire) expressly illegal.
Any firearm confiscated during/after a crime involving it summarily destroyed.
The cessation of mass production of firearms.
Anyone found to be in possession of a firearm illegally subject to the full penalty of the law.
Severe prosecution for anyone whose firearm is used to commit a crime, if it can be proved they were negligent in securing the firearm.
Make carrying guns in public illegal.

Will this eliminate gun violence entirely? No.
Would it take generations to see meaningful change? Yes.
Is it still a good first step? Yes.
Would it work in present day America? NO.
How do I know? Because of the inevitable canned responses this post will get.

When it comes to gun violence Americans are ****ed, by our own choosing - all the right ever offers is thoughts and prayers, and you know what? That impotent response is literally all we are capable of. God knows the Democrats are too feckless to stand up and take serious action. See you at the next mass shooting thread.

Just cutting and pasting:

Anyone with intent to do harm or commit crimes ignores such laws. They only place the law-abiding at a greater disadvantage...it makes the entire rest of the country a vulnerable 'gun free zone'. Which only the law-abiding respect.

Even repealing the 2A wouldnt work, and Prohibition and The War on Drugs are strong evidence. Not only that, they created more crime.

Just cutting and pasting:

Anyone with intent to do harm or commit crimes ignores such laws. They only place the law-abiding at a greater disadvantage...it makes the entire rest of the country a vulnerable 'gun free zone'. Which only the law-abiding respect.

Even repealing the 2A wouldnt work, and Prohibition and The War on Drugs are strong evidence. Not only that, they created more crime.
Pandora's Box, we opened it, and can't close it. We became the most powerful country on Earth, but also our own worst enemy.

Why you guys did it with the softball congress shooting and the more recent Justice attempt of murder one.

But when it's one of yours then how dare anyone bring that up.

If you can't grasp that people like trump who use the rhetoric that he uses are the problem then you are the problem here.
Hodgkinson's motives were EXPLICITLY political. That's a lot different than a guy that is all kinds of schizo and latches on to a political event, like the guy that shot Giffords.

What do you think about the on-going gang violence that happens ever day in city after city? Not a word about it. Of course Chicago is a prime example.
Crickets from democratic leadership?
Why? Poltics

But not a word from the left…

That's overly-simplistic. Anyone with intent to do harm or commit crimes ignores such laws. They only place the law-abiding at a greater disadvantage...it makes the entire rest of the country a vulnerable 'gun free zone'. Which only the law-abiding respect.

Nonsense.

The US is the only 1st world country that has this problem.

The US is also the only 1st world country with lax gun laws, and massive civilian gun ownership.

If you were correct the US would be the safest country but the opposite is true.

Law abiding citizens in other 1st world countries (gun free zones) are less vulnerable, far less, and are at a great advantage over law abiding citizens in the USA.

They have mentaly people, they have drug addicts, violent video games, single parent homes etc
What they don't have is easy access to guns. And they don't have this problem.

Think about it.

See post #925, and do two things: stop asking for ideas when they've been presented to you, and for the second time STOP couching the conversation in terms of "no law will stop gun violence, guess we're done here." I never said they would in such absolutist terms, just like I've never said expanding mental health services would eliminate the problem of gun violence either. It doesn't mean both aren't good steps.

I hadnt gotten to your laundry list yet, but I did respond to it more directly once I saw it.

And I've never said the bold. Or implied it.

Edit: to your credit, you did provide your "solutions" re: guns as asked.

Nonsense.

The US is the only 1st world country that has this problem.

The US is also the only 1st world country with lax gun laws, and massive civilian gun ownership.

If you were correct the US would be the safest country but the opposite is true.

Law abiding citizens in other 1st world countries (gun free zones) are less vulnerable, far less, and are at a great advantage over law abiding citizens in the USA.

They have mentaly people, they have drug addicts, violent video games, single parent homes etc
What they don't have is easy access to guns. And they don't have this problem.

Think about it.

That's a nice list. And?

But not a word from the left…
just for my curiousity, how many posts/threads have you made about the wifes/girlfriends/exes who are executed by their husbands/boyfriends/exes all the time? like this woman in Arkansas?...

photo

So if a shooting took place in Boulder City, Nevada, would you claim the shooting took place in Las Vegas? They are the same distance apart. Of course, Boulder City has no gambling, a very strict limited growth policy, and a very low crime rate. It's nothing like Las Vegas.

On Bum's behalf, post 203 has an explanation, altho you probably wouldnt have seen it since it was yesterday and they merged threads.

It's not the only explanation, but 🤷

yeah, when they speak of the bible they should definitely include the number of rounds a firearm can fire.
The tweeter. That you quoted.

Right, where’s the reload?
In real life, muskets can fire several rounds per minute. The gif was merely a visual representation of a musket. I don't understand what's confusing. If you want I can find you a full length video of someone demonstrating it.

Back
Top Bottom