• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

5 dead, 16 hospitalized in mass shooting at Highland Park Fourth of July parade, shooter being sought

Guns ain't the problem, the victims is.

Maybe there IS something to say about censorship.

The publicity given to the Texas tragedy may have given ideas to the nut job responsible for this incident.

It seems that a lot of maladjusted youths will do anything to get their proverbial 15 minutes of fame (infamy).
So what, we should just all go back to cooking our hot dogs and get ready for the fireworks come night time?

“Eventual”? India literally wouldn’t get independence for almost another century.

The rebellion of 1857 was so “succesful” that the leaders got strapped to cannons and blown into a million pieces.

Fact of the matter is.....armed revolt failed in India. Over, and over, and over and over, and over.
You are not helping your argument.
But save your attempt for another thread.

Add in a culture that glorifies consumerism and leaves behind those who don't earn enough. Add in a work culture that gives a fraction of the Western norm for family time. Add in the wealthy worlds worst income disparity. Add in a level of political division that is wider than in other wealthy nations, and more closely embraces the extreme views.

That's exactly what I was referring to in mine (y)

And these are lifestyle changes families can choose. Can make.

So what, we should just all go back to cooking our hot dogs and get ready for the fireworks come night time?
Yes.

There is nothing else that we can do.

Don't forget: There are 330,000,000 human beings here.

No wonder some of them are nut jobs.

I saw those photo's and was going to wait until police actually release the photo, but if this is him at least we know he has a suit to either be buried in or wear to court.

He's got some YT videos online as well. Or did.

Starting to look like this guy had red flags all over the place.

You are not helping your argument.
But save your attempt for another thread.

Point is.....India didn’t need guns to gain its freedom. Armed revolt failed; civil disobedience succeeded.

As usual.

The problem is letting psychos have access to guns and society in general.
The problem is mental health, loss of discipline, and law and order.

It's not the guns, the guns are just a red herring to distract you from the underlying actual problems.

Well, lets see....with 57 shot and 9 dead before this happened, this brings Chicago's 4th of July weekend grand total to (as of this moment) 14 dead, and 73 wounded......Im sure the number will climb before the day is over.

What the hell is going on in Chicago?

This isn't that bad of an event like in Texas where children were killed en-masse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well you havent articulated an argument that supports your feelings on guns, so I'm not considering it then. They are part of the problem, a symptom, but not what should be the focus of the solution.

I also felt that you practically dismissed bullying...which is at an all time high and spread....due to social media. And it also involves what I discussed about the emotions of all kinds that emerge from the recognition of the LGBT community/students and the effects those have on all kids and many adults. That's also a driver of bullying. It didnt exist since the time of the FFs. It can be solved, it's amazing you dont believe that's something that can be remedied (from both your prior posts, that's stated and inferred.)

You spoke of a lot of choices. Choices that families and individuals can take...so how can they be impossible to change, or be unlikely? Every single 2-parent family can make lifestyle changes, move, etc and change their parenting and have 1 stay home. These are choices...and yet you want to IMPOSE gun laws on people, take our choices away? I just dont get it. Do you know our/our family's risks and circumstances?
You consider guns part of the problem - but not what we should focus on.

You consider bullying part of the problem - but think it's what we should focus on.

Why not focus on BOTH, since you concede they are BOTH part of the problem?

I think it's woefully naive in that bootstrapper mentality dismissal that's all too common, that all a family has to do is make some choices and suddenly mom can stay at home. There's too many families that don't have that privilege.

I do think there needs to be, in addition to the adoption of other approaches, a severe restriction in Americans' ability to acquire firearms. It should be a privilege, not a right. So yes, we disagree there.

My grandson and his family are safely away from the area now, in their home. He, his wife, and 4 yr old son were five floats behind the lead float when the shooter started shooting from a nearbye roof. People around him were dropping. He picked up his son, grabbed his wife's hand and just ran, ducking into buildings, finally hunkering down in a stream bed behind the library. He is angry, traumatized, can't believe how his family survived when so many around him didn't. He is also beside himself with "survivor's guilt", and my daughter (his mom) has been on the phone with him most of the day. She is a wonderful mom (and a wonderful daughter, since she's also been on the phone with me). After this close call, I don't think anyone in our family will ever be the same.

Thanks to everyone who was concerned, especially @ASHES @Callen @CaughtInThe @Josie @Brack @BlueTex Your kind wishes very much appreciated.

Last edited:
Starting to look like this guy had red flags all over the place.
It looks like a previous post in which you questioned the provenance of a john brown's body post on the NRA, which is NOT a shroud of ghouls, has since disappeared, but your suspicion was correct:

You are receiving a bronze MAGA for your now missing post:

MAGA

The same thing that's happening everywhere else in the country: there are guns everywhere.

Begin to fix this...

an-age-by-age-guide-for-when-your-kid-should-get-a-smartphone.jpg

and then maybe we do better at solving this...

IKG2Z7OSQFHIVCQKBZ5EOQA4K4.jpg

My grandson and his family are safely away from the area now, in their home. He, his wife, and 4 yr old son were five floats behind the lead float when the shooter started shooting from a nearbye roof. People around him were dropping. He picked up his son, grabbed his wife's hand and just ran, ducking into buildings, finally hunkering down in a stream bed behind the library. He is angry, traumatized, can't believe how his family survived when so many around him didn't. He is also beside himself with "survivor's guilt), and my daughter has been on the phone with him most of the day. She is a wonder mom (and a wonderful daughter, since she's also been on the phone with me). After this close call, I don't think anyone in our family will ever be the same.

Thanks to everyone who was concerned, especially @ASHES @Callen @CaughtInThe @Josie @Brack @BlueTex Your kind wishes very much appreciated.
Very happy to hear your family is safe.

You don't need to be "paid off by the NRA" to have reading comprehension skills.
They are paid off to not have reading comprehension skills...

You consider guns part of the problem - but not what we should focus on.

My focus on guns is to properly enforce the laws we do have and see if they work. Better tracking of prohibited persons in better connected and networked databases for background checks...nationally and including the military and mental health.

You consider bullying part of the problem - but think it's what we should focus on.

Absolutely. Inclusion, kindness, destruction of the (usually conservative adult) ignorance around LGBT and race and any kind of 'being different'.

Why not focus on BOTH, since you concede they are BOTH part of the problem?

Enforce the gun laws we have properly. Other posters in past threads have posted where they're often not.

I think it's woefully naive in that bootstrapper mentality dismissal that's all too common, that all a family has to do is make some choices and suddenly mom can stay at home. There's too many families that don't have that privilege.

So then the ones that can, should. What's your point? We're talking about society, overall.

I do think there needs to be, in addition to the adoption of other approaches, a severe restriction in Americans' ability to acquire firearms. It should be a privilege, not a right. So yes, we disagree there.

Yes we do. And you cant articulate any valid reasons why you want to restrict American citizens from acquiring firearms.

That goes without saying. The reaction by Progressives makes the shooter's race and gender obvious.
Does it? Go on because they releases a photo

Back
Top Bottom