• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

5 dead, 16 hospitalized in mass shooting at Highland Park Fourth of July parade, shooter being sought

?? The FBI, the AMA (esp. psych), and other agencies have profiles on males like this. We studied them in training in HR. And they've developed them further since then.

Here's a current article by a psychiatric professional:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/18/opinions/mass-murders-pathway-to-violence-bergen-meloy/index.html

Hell yeah. Violence is high all across the US, esp. domestic abuse, road rage, white nationalism, etc. and males are accountable for 90% of it per FBI stats. I've posed them before, dont have them handy now.

I dont feel like writing a novel but things like entitlement, bullying, both parents working, parents that dont provide enough attention (IMO TV & phones are the babysitters), structure, and discipline, vilifying gay and LGBT kids/adults and creating unnecessary fear, insecurity, hate, confusion, <fill in the blank> and mostly 'division' and the highly ignorant polarization of society that is often too stupid to accept facts and science and believes that 'their beliefs' drive reality and not the other way around.

And of course it can be remedied.
But again, not writing a novel.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
― Issac Asimov
There's plenty in here I agree with. But relevant to the bolded, here's the thing:

1) American culture in the modern day is predicated on entitlement. Accompanying that entitlement is too many people adopting the mantle of victim when they don't receive what they feel they deserve.
2) Bullying, much like guns has been a fixture in American life since its founding. Why do we have to address that now, and not guns?
3) Economic survival dictates that some families have to have two working parents. It cannot be avoided, not without major social programs in place to help single income families make ends meet.
4) The internet (and its accompanying devices) definitely foster a sense of isolation and lack of community. Not sure what can be done there beyond an individual commitment to reduce one's personal time online, and hope for enough people to do the same until we reach critical mass.
5) Demonization of others (women, minorities, LGBTQ, etc.) definitely exacerbates the fear and hatred in a culture already brimming with it.
6) I most definitely agree that in the last 10-15 years there's been an almost concerted effort to belittle intelligence, to mistrust scientific fact in favor of faith, and to sow contempt for education. I consider it a direct threat to national security.

So we have all these factors working against the fostering of an intelligent, compassionate, community minded populace that doesn't have so many men reaching for guns to murder when things aren't going the way they like. It's not my intention to try and draw you into a long conversation (unless that's what you want ;) ), I'm just wondering out loud what, if anything, can be done about it or if we are past the point of no return.

To answer the question you as about what else......it descends into a bottomless pit.

Things like divorce rate, lack of parental guidance, the huge increase in depression.....a massive list of societal ills.....which can't be cured but can be addressed in some way.

I would be fairly certain that unique sets of circumstances surround each of these people and brings them to the point where they start to plan to kill.

The Columbine pair had been planning for a full year.

I have no idea how that happens or what goes into someone's mind that says they are going to die and take people with them. To what end ???????
Somebody somewhere knew this person was twisted... People need to start talking... its unfortunate that we don't have the structure to surveil all such types, but we should make it clear to society.. Prison is to be used ONLY for people who can be rehabilitated... These mass shooter can't be, nor can drive by shooters, or people that kill their family, or hack up anothers body after killing them, and child rapist and people who break in and rob someone house and/or kill someone who's house they have broken into .

Just Prosecute and Execute... We waste too much time and resources housing these people... The less of them we have occupying prison space, the more prison resources can be used to deal with people who created crimes that fit a category where rehabilation can be achieved.

People are tired of hearing, "Oh they did not take their med's, or Oh' they were always so quiet and etc... Nope!!! Deal with the Savage Atrocity They Created... and simply "get rid of them through a simplified legal process with absolutely NO APPEALS. We can write laws that say, within a set time after conviction that the execution will take place.

This person took other peoples lives, and the others that were damaged by gunshot may have a variety of damages that some may have life long disabling conditions. Then there is the anguish and hurt those people family have to go through, there's the medical resources that it that could otherwise be used on "sick" people. Everything about the people who do this is vile and damages society in every aspect of general civil society.

Some may not like these fine line terms... "until" one of these savages kill someone in their family or maime them for life, and that asshole is let go after x years of we waste resources for 30-40 50 yrs... letting them "sit on their ass and have free rent, three meals a day and then the asshole starts crying and whining about they want more rights.

As much as some people don't like to admit... There are People who are Just Evil !!!!

(There's all types of evil, and when people grasp the fact that evil is real, they will start to recogonize evil, and stand against it.)

another canididate for "prosecution and execution".

1 killed, 4 wounded in shooting outside Sacramento nightclub

end quote

Any asshole that goes to public venues and events, whether its a back yard or house party, club, shopping areas, work area or general public space"... etc and start shooting people:
These asshole savages need to be SWIFTLY "prosecuted and executed".... 'creamate the remains, they don't need to take up any more space on the planet.

This again, sounds harsh, but people won't think its so harsh, if they or someone they love and know is the victim of these type of savages.

I don't enjoy making such statements, but I am not going to be blind and unaware of the fact that "evil is real".

Last edited:
That is so disingenuous and I want to vomit every time I hear people say that. Legal gun owners wish that NO ONE would ever die by gunfire. The fact is, that because of the history of this country and the 2A, the guns are out there, in circulation, and there's nothing we can do about it. What we can do is try like hell to not raise criminals, and keep the guns out of the hands of criminals.

Seems like so many legal gun owners are fanatics. They seem to want guns everywhere, and any effort to regulate them like we do with cars is to them tantamount to treason. It's insane.

Just heard they are running the serial number on the weapon. Maybe that will give them a lead, unless it's stolen.

As for his description, not sure how they confuse the shirt as being white or blue. It's also possible he's shaved his head by now and headed to do more damage. Hoping not, but it's been quite a few hours and they've got nothing.

Or bought in a private sell..

Seems like so many legal gun owners are fanatics. They seem to want guns everywhere, and any effort to regulate them like we do with cars is to them tantamount to treason. It's insane.

Were John Brown and his sons gun fanatics?

There's plenty in here I agree with. But relevant to the bolded, here's the thing:

1) American culture in the modern day is predicated on entitlement. Accompanying that entitlement is too many people adopting the mantle of victim when they don't receive what they feel they deserve.
2) Bullying, much like guns has been a fixture in American life since its founding. Why do we have to address that now, and not guns?
3) Economic survival dictates that some families have to have two working parents. It cannot be avoided, not without major social programs in place to help single income families make ends meet.
4) The internet (and its accompanying devices) definitely foster a sense of isolation and lack of community. Not sure what can be done there beyond an individual commitment to reduce one's personal time online, and hope for enough people to do the same until we reach critical mass.
5) Demonization of others (women, minorities, LGBTQ, etc.) definitely exacerbates the fear and hatred in a culture already brimming with it.
6) I most definitely agree that in the last 10-15 years there's been an almost concerted effort to belittle intelligence, to mistrust scientific fact in favor of faith, and to sow contempt for education. I consider it a direct threat to national security.

So we have all these factors working against the fostering of an intelligent, compassionate, community minded populace that doesn't have so many men reaching for guns to murder when things aren't going the way they like. It's not my intention to try and draw you into a long conversation (unless that's what you want ;) ), I'm just wondering out loud what, if anything, can be done about it or if we are past the point of no return.

A great deal of effort has been put forth by gun manufacturers and conservative legislators to make gun ownership a part of everyday life, like owning a cellphone. They have been successful in some quarters. It contributes to the gun violence. More guns means more gun violence. Its simple math.

So your position, since you didnt state one and so I'll infer one, is, "forget it, it's too much trouble, it's overwhelming, let's just focus on something, anything, as a bandaid?"

Or are you accepting that guns are not the problem?

The fact is, that because of the history of this country and the 2A, the guns are out there, in circulation, and there's nothing we can do about it.
It's unappealing to agree with this defeatism but when you couple it with Americans' long standing love of guns and unwillingness to restrict their access to them in any meaningful way, I have to think you're right.

If you want to be American and live here, you have to accept extreme levels of gun violence as the price.

So much would be solved if SCOTUS took its head out of its ass and instead of being paid off by the NRA they read the 2nd as it was intended... that gun owners are part of a well regulated militia and any body not participating in it lose their guns and be denied gun ownership.

So your position, since you didnt state one and so I'll infer one, is, "forget it, it's too much trouble, it's overwhelming, let's just focus on something, anything, as a bandaid?"

Or are you accepting that guns are not the problem?
I do not accept that guns are not the problem. I acknowledge that guns (specifically their ubiquity in America and the ease of accessibility) are most definitely part of a large, complex problem requiring more than one shot (pun intended) approaches.

What I also acknowledge is that in the current American climate of partisan rancor, demonization of the other, and toxic masculinity/individualism there is little that can be done that will have a meaningful impact. We need a collective paradigm shift and we as a collective are not ready to accept that need.

Beats me. What does it have to do with the post you are responding to?

I see you just edited your statement because you realized how dumb it was. Of course John Brown owned guns and used guns. He thought violence was necessary. It's interesting how you rant about "gun nuts" when the username you chose could also be called a "gun nut". Anyway, that's a topic for another time. I've just always found it ironic when you talk about guns.

If thoughts and prayers were even needed for anything, it's that we don't see more of this horror before the day is done.

Many families, INCLUDING THE VICTIMS WHO WILL LIVE, changed forever.

Hell, little kids theyte won't go to parades for a long time.

Innocence ruined.

Yeah the trauma and horror for all the people in the community is profound and will haunt these people forever.

Here's a possible picture of him:

FW2rv-KXgAIntf4

FW2rvy_VEAAkzfH

I see you just edited your statement because you realized how dumb it was. Of course John Brown owned guns and used guns. He thought violence was necessary. It's interesting how you rant about "gun nuts" when the username you chose could also be called a "gun nut". Anyway, that's a topic for another time. I've just always found it ironic when you talk about guns.

An illogical ad hominem attack, none of it based on fact, to evade my point.

There is no evidence John Brown was a gun fanatic. Try and stick to the topic and avoid wandering into territory about which you know nothing.

Well, lets see....with 57 shot and 9 dead before this happened, this brings Chicago's 4th of July weekend grand total to (as of this moment) 14 dead, and 73 wounded......Im sure the number will climb before the day is over.

What the hell is going on in Chicago?
The same thing that's happening everywhere else in the country: there are guns everywhere.

So much would be solved if SCOTUS took its head out of its ass and instead of being paid off by the NRA they read the 2nd as it was intended... that gun owners are part of a well regulated militia and any body not participating in it lose their guns and be denied gun ownership.
You don't need to be "paid off by the NRA" to have reading comprehension skills.

Back
Top Bottom