• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

4k TVs Reach Realistic Prices

NeverTrump

Exposing GOP since 2015
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
The tech market moves so fast. In January LG and SONY released the first 4K TVs. In layman's terms, 4K TVs are the next evolution after plasma TVs and blu-ray discs. These TVs in January had the price tag of $20,000. Today, most 4K TVs are on sale for $1,000-$5,000. For those that don't like math that is a 40% price drop in five months! So in another five months will consumers rush to buy a $800 4K TV?

http://gizmodo.com/wow-a-4k-tv-for-1080-is-simply-bonkers-513578198

The tech market moves so fast. In January LG and SONY released the first 4K TVs. In layman's terms, 4K TVs are the next evolution after plasma TVs and blu-ray discs. These TVs in January had the price tag of $20,000. Today, most 4K TVs are on sale for $1,000-$5,000. For those that don't like math that is a 40% price drop in five months! So in another five months will consumers rush to buy a $800 4K TV?

Wow, a 4K TV For $1080 Is Simply Bonkers
Next evolution, eh? What a time to be alive! Just put that thing on the credit card, right?

**** like this is the reason our country is going down the toilet.

Next evolution, eh? What a time to be alive! Just put that thing on the credit card, right?

**** like this is the reason our country is going down the toilet.

I'm not talking about politics here. I'm talking about how fast the tech market moves.
Start your own topic about not being able to afford $1000 TVs if you want to complain.

I'm not talking about politics here. I'm talking about how fast the tech market moves.
Start your own topic about not being able to afford $1000 TVs if you want to complain.

If you're interested in the tech market there are life saving technogies out there progressing at a snail's pace, while mindless consumers push the "next evolution" in the idiot box. People devote scarce resources to TV while we cant even figure out how to implement the composing toilet or solar power? Real, socially beneficial technology is the kind of stuff that we should be talking about. Not this decadent waste of time.

I'm not talking about politics here. I'm talking about how fast the tech market moves. Start your own topic about not being able to afford $1000 TVs if you want to complain.

By the time new technology is available in the marketplace, there'd something in the pipeline to (hopefully) make it obsolete. This old saying coudn't be more true in the technology field. It has nothing to do with politics; everything to do with piggish consumerism.

Latest! Greatest! Your old TV is a piece of ****! Buy this! You won't believe the difference! Donate your old one to Good Will! Put it in your bedroom! Set it up in your garage! 'Cause this newest/bestest/fanciest one is the only one that'll do. Anything less is settling.

Not to pick nits but isn't a $15,000 price drop on a $20,000 item a 75% reduction and $19,000 more like 95%?

Honestly those numbers look suspect unless they were initially by something like an order of magnitude.

For me. I just bought my first HD TV this year. First new TV I've bought in 10 years. Won't be investing in another for a little while.

Not to pick nits but isn't a $15,000 price drop on a $20,000 item a 75% reduction and $19,000 more like 95%?

Honestly those numbers look suspect unless they were initially by something like an order of magnitude.

For me. I just bought my first HD TV this year. First new TV I've bought in 10 years. Won't be investing in another for a little while.

My thinking is that the highest priced tvs on the market right now they clock in at 5000-7000. That's how much realistically one can expect to pay today. The gizmodo article is listing one that has been heavily discounted, but some TVs are staying at that price range. Though all of them aren't currently there yet. That's why I did $5000 instead of $1000. Most 4k TVs are in the $5000 price range. When I do these sorts of calculations, or assumptions. I always go with what the general average is, not a few TVs in the $1000 price range. Even though that is the point of this topic. All of the 4Ks will get there within the year. Just you watch!

So if you do 7-8000 then it is 40%.

Last edited:
If you're interested in the tech market there are life saving technogies out there progressing at a snail's pace, while mindless consumers push the "next evolution" in the idiot box. People devote scarce resources to TV while we cant even figure out how to implement the composing toilet or solar power? Real, socially beneficial technology is the kind of stuff that we should be talking about. Not this decadent waste of time.

So sayeth the guy who gets bent out of shape that anything that doesn't agree with his OP's is off-topic :roll:

Bill Gates has already invented the magic next generation toilet.

As for the TV, people will get them when Walmart has them on sale on Black Friday whether one approves or disapproves and they will sell truckloads of them. It is their money to do with as they please.

Aw I'm sorry you can't afford a 4k TV. But that doesn't mean I don't have the right to talk about them. And you call yourself a libertarian??

Aw I'm sorry you can't afford a 4k TV. But that doesn't mean I don't have the right to talk about them. And you call yourself a libertarian??

Wha the **** is the matter with you? Poor reading comprehension?

I need said whether or not I could afford one of these things. You will never know the answer to that question. This has nothing to do with my personal finances.

I never said that it should be illegal to spend your money o. Stupid and wasteful products. I am a libertarian, I support your right to blow your money on any immoral thing you like as long as it causes no direct harm to others. But see arent talking about politics, remember? This is a matter of values. And your value are clearly piss-poor.

1. Wha the **** is the matter with you? Poor reading comprehension?

2. I need said whether or not I could afford one of these things. You will never know the answer to that question. This has nothing to do with my personal finances.

I am a libertarian, I support your right to blow your money on any immoral thing you like as long as it causes no direct harm to others. This is a matter of values. And your value are clearly piss-poor.

1. Why are you getting so upset? Number 1 it was a joke, and number two you shouldn't care so much about something other people want to talk about, if YOU don't want to talk about it!
2. But your response makes me wonder...A normal person would have said if they would be buying one in the future or if not like others have done so on here in a civil matter. Not just spouting off very liberal talking points about consumerism and wasting money...
3. You think I have poor values for just mentioning a subject that I am interested in? Which is it? The technology industry or the Television industry that you have a problem with? Because I believe 4k TVS belong in both of those categories...

My thinking is that the highest priced tvs on the market right now they clock in at 5000-7000. That's how much realistically one can expect to pay today. The gizmodo article is listing one that has been heavily discounted, but some TVs are staying at that price range. Though all of them aren't currently there yet. That's why I did $5000 instead of $1000. Most 4k TVs are in the $5000 price range. When I do these sorts of calculations, or assumptions. I always go with what the general average is, not a few TVs in the $1000 price range. Even though that is the point of this topic. All of the 4Ks will get there within the year. Just you watch!

So if you do 7-8000 then it is 40%.

Ahhhh okay. Got it now.

You do realize you're in the Non-Political Forums / Science and Technology section, right, not General Political Discussions?

Being a high tech early adopter has always been a financial mistake. It will be a long while before there is much 4K to watch on a 4K TV. When that happens, 4K tV's will be better and cheaper. I didn't buy my first big screen HD TV until 2006. Even then, HD programming was the minority. Patience is a virtue with high tech.

You do realize you're in the Non-Political Forums / Science and Technology section, right, not General Political Discussions?

Do you? I have only been talking about science and technology.

In the late 80's the semiconductor makers developed something called Statistical Process Control.
Some of you may remember when 80386's came out the faster processors were more expensive.
That was because the processors were tested after the complete run and segregated and sold by speed.
By testing the prefab pieces at each step, the poor quality pieces were eliminated early in the run,
and did not have to complete the finishing steps.
Each run produced nearly 100% of high functioning processors.
I think the same thing is happening in consumer electronics, once the kinks in the run are worked out.
The statistical model culls the bad product early enough to cut cost and increase output.

This is an old cycle that predates the current tech revolution. The early adopters get skinned, the later adopters just get fleeced.

Of that $800 you're paying a goodly portion for a very good tuner you just don't get to use. Since congress gave away the public airwaves, and enough time has passed that people have in large part forgotten the airwaves once belonged to them, the TV providers have taken total control. You have to use their box, their tuner. The one you just paid big money for - useless.

This is an old cycle that predates the current tech revolution. The early adopters get skinned, the later adopters just get fleeced.

Of that $800 you're paying a goodly portion for a very good tuner you just don't get to use. Since congress gave away the public airwaves, and enough time has passed that people have in large part forgotten the airwaves once belonged to them, the TV providers have taken total control. You have to use their box, their tuner. The one you just paid big money for - useless.

Firstly, millions of Americans still watch TV through a tuner. Secondly, it is possible to put together a television watching system that doesn't have a tuner. But it would be likely more expensive than one with a tuner since it would be made up of components. No need to disparage tuners.

Firstly, millions of Americans still watch TV through a tuner. Secondly, it is possible to put together a television watching system that doesn't have a tuner. But it would be likely more expensive than one with a tuner since it would be made up of components. No need to disparage tuners.
Personally, I'd bet the tuners are relatively inexpensive. It's everything that comes after them that gets expensive.

Back
Top Bottom