• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

49 Republicans Voted Against Food Security help for Veterans

Liberal7360

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Way to support our veterans who put their lives on the line for the nation.

49 republicans just don't care. The nation took the best from those vets but the last thing those 49 republicans want to do is make sure the vets and their families have enough to eat.

Just use them and throw them away. The republican way.

Vets have been disgruntled sometime with this fake republican party. It is status quo to throw them under the bus while at the same waving the flag. This crap is not new been a situation since the Nam war for
sure. Expose the vets to radiation and toxic chemicals then blow them off when they and some with families need help desperately.

Make no mistake about it there are some pissed off vet groups that deserve our support = one more reason to never vote republican ever.

49 republicans just don't care. The nation took the best from those vets but the last thing those 49 republicans want to do is make sure the vets and their families have enough to eat.

What great ‘patriots’ 😒
Shameful.

The R's love the idea of veterans and unborn fetuses. That stops when it comes to paying for them.

MAGA has some problems dealing with this topic; it wants to spend lots of money on military, but despises the people who work in military, including veterans. I'm not sure what the source of this dysfunctional thinking is... it might be an aftereffect of utter loyalty to a man who likes to ridicule veterans regularly, or a reflection of a mindset that "military" should be about gear, not people. Not sure. In any case, I normally expect MAGA to veto any investment in veterans.

I would vote against that bill, too.

We don't need another redundant layer of bureaucracy to do what other bureaucrats already do. It's just more unnecessary government spending.

I'm sure there was too much relief in there going to veterans who were captured. You know how much the Republicans don't like people who were captured.

As a veteran myself, I would have also voted against the bill. Not only is it a mass waste of taxpayer money, it is an insult to veterans in general. It assumes that we have no control over our own so-called food security/nutrition and that we are too stupid do know where to seek help if we need it. It assumes that we need some unionized drone bureaucrat to lead us by the hand.

The republicans have no problem spending trillions on the military industrial complex. Even on equipment we don't need.

Yet when it comes to the humans who put their lives on the line, not so much.

As a vet, I'm insulted and disgusted by those 49 votes.

We already provide government assistance that veterns can take advantage of if they need it. Food stamps anyone?

MAGA has some problems dealing with this topic; it wants to spend lots of money on military, but despises the people who work in military, including veterans. I'm not sure what the source of this dysfunctional thinking is... it might be an aftereffect of utter loyalty to a man who likes to ridicule veterans regularly, or a reflection of a mindset that "military" should be about gear, not people. Not sure. In any case, I normally expect MAGA to veto any investment in veterans.
TDS motivated rant. The reality is that as a vet, I have benefited more from improvements in the so-called MAGA era...such as the "Mission Act", which actually improved how VA Healthcare is delivered. This so-called office of Food Security was just voted on is nothing but a bureaucracy. It means absolutely nothing to me.

The republicans have no problem spending trillions on the military industrial complex. Even on equipment we don't need.

Yet when it comes to the humans who put their lives on the line, not so much.

As a vet, I'm insulted and disgusted by those 49 votes.
BS. As a vet, I am all for the funds spent on actually improving things for vets, such as the Mission Act. This food security nonsense is just a thinly veiled push for votes in the coming midterms.

BS. As a vet, I am all for the funds spent on actually improving things for vets, such as the Mission Act. This food security nonsense is just a thinly veiled push for votes in the coming midterms.

You have your opinion.

I have mine.

I'm a vet too.

I believe that vets are much more important than the military industrial complex.

Yet when it comes to the military industrial complex, the republicans support it and throw billions at them. Even for equipment we don't need and the military says they don't want.

When it comes to the humans, the republicans don't support them the same way the support the filthy rich military industrial complex.

Us vets don't have the money to bribe politicians to vote the way we want them to vote. The filthy rich military industrial complex does have the money and they bribe politicians daily.

So when it comes to the humans, since we vets can't bribe politicians, we have 49 republicans who vote to not help vets have food.

As of last year there are 1.2 million vets on SNAP benefits. I guess you don't care that they need help.

Even more shameful, as of 2019, 22 thousand active military personnel are on SNAP benefits. I guess they don't need help either. Our nation doesn't pay our military enough to put food on their tables yet those military personnel are putting their lives on the line for our nation.

Between 2015 and 2019 11.1 percent of working age veterans lived in food insecure homes and 5.3% lived with extremely poor food security. Which means some are skipping meals due to not having food.

As of January 1, 2021, there are 67,495 homeless vets. Studies show that the veteran population is 2x more likely to become chronically homeless than other American groups. There are many reasons veterans make up such a large percentage of the homeless population. Contributing factors include long periods of unemployment, foreclosure, mental illness, and poverty.

Here are some numbers to back up the contributing factors:

• Over 968,000 veterans lived in poverty in the last year.
  • 20,000 veterans with government sponsored mortgages lost their homes in 2010.
  • 76% of homeless veterans experience alcohol, drug, or mental health issues.
    30.2% of veterans ages 18-24 are unemployed.
It’s easy to jump to conclusions, but we shouldn’t. Here is some surprising information about homeless veterans:

• 89% received an honorable discharge.
  • 67% served 3 years or more.
  • 47% are Vietnam veterans
  • 15% served before Vietnam
  • 5.5% are Iraq and Afghanistan veterans.
Almost 9 out of 10 received an honorable discharge. 2 out of 3 served at least 3 years. Those stats should be enough to know these veterans did heir job honorably and likely performed at a reasonably high level.

Why? Why do we need another whole department to handle this one thing?
Why cant it fall under the department of Veterans Affairs?
Why do we need to continue to grow government at every opportunity?
Between state, local, and federal, we have enough people at the trough already.....

How about we cut a few departments?
Get rid of the departments doing the same damn things?

The one thing we dont have any issue with is WASTING money and resources....we do that better than anyone

Why? Why do we need another whole department to handle this one thing?
Why cant it fall under the department of Veterans Affairs?
Why do we need to continue to grow government at every opportunity?
Between state, local, and federal, we have enough people at the trough already.....

How about we cut a few departments?
Get rid of the departments doing the same damn things?

The one thing we dont have any issue with is WASTING money and resources....we do that better than anyone

I think if the existing agencies did a good job, this new one wouldn't be needed.

Unfortunately, those agencies don't and don't see their job being making sure vets are fed.

I agree we need to get rid of waste but when there is a need, it should be addressed.

I believe that vets are much more important than the military industrial complex.

Yet when it comes to the military industrial complex, the republicans support it and throw billions at them. Even for equipment we don't need and the military says they don't want.
The billions are necessary if we are to have a functioning military. As for the military saying they don't want certain items, that is sometimes misleading. For instance the top generals did not want the A10 Warthog jet. They wanted to spend the money on other projects, yet others including many in congress saw the value of that program in support of ground troops and it was kept.
When it comes to the humans, the republicans don't support them the same way the support the filthy rich military industrial complex.
Librul projection.
Us vets don't have the money to bribe politicians to vote the way we want them to vote. The filthy rich military industrial complex does have the money and they bribe politicians daily.
Sounds like you really have it in for the military industrial complex. Truth is since I left the military in the mid 70s, much of my employment was connected to the military industrial complex, even subcontracting work for defense contractors. Someone has to manufacture the weapons systems. They are not created out of thin air.
So when it comes to the humans, since we vets can't bribe politicians, we have 49 republicans who vote to not help vets have food.
Strange. I have been a veteran since 1975 and I have needed no help getting food or working out nutrition. I have never needed an office of food security at the VA to help me.
As of last year there are 1.2 million vets on SNAP benefits. I guess you don't care that they need help.

Even more shameful, as of 2019, 22 thousand active military personnel are on SNAP benefits. I guess they don't need help either. Our nation doesn't pay our military enough to put food on their tables yet those military personnel are putting their lives on the line for our nation.

Between 2015 and 2019 11.1 percent of working age veterans lived in food insecure homes and 5.3% lived with extremely poor food security. Which means some are skipping meals due to not having food.
With all due respect, while I agree that there are vets who need assistance and in fact are on assistance, I don't buy the numbers from the links you posted as they are not actual firm numbers. The are from survey/poll data. I never take such all that seriously. In any case, I am alll for programs that actgually benefit veterans. However a food security office is just a dumb joke. The evidence is your pointing out that a significant number of veterans are already taking advantage of the programs you mentioned. Why would we need an office of food security to point them to programs they already know about and many are on? What's next? An office of toilet paper security for veterans? Thank you for your service.

What else was in the bill?

Imagine that :ROFLMAO:....................... the Democrats toss out another "feel good" bill just before a election.

Why wasn't this important to them 4 years ago, or 6 years ago, or 10 years ago?

There were just as many homeless veterans then as there are right now.

As of January 1, 2021, there are 67,495 homeless vets. Studies show that the veteran population is 2x more likely to become chronically homeless than other American groups. There are many reasons veterans make up such a large percentage of the homeless population. Contributing factors include long periods of unemployment, foreclosure, mental illness, and poverty.

Veterans on average have higher household incomes than non veterans.

1664611019535.png

And it goes for minorities as well.

1664611073242.png

So tell me.............................why are veterans getting such a heartthrob from wishy washy liberals all of a sudden? (Nov. 8 cough cough cough)

Imagine that :ROFLMAO:....................... the Democrats toss out another "feel good" bill just before a election.

Why wasn't this important to them 4 years ago, or 6 years ago, or 10 years ago?

There were just as many homeless veterans then as there are right now.

Veterans on average have higher household incomes than non veterans.

View attachment 67415837

And it goes for minorities as well.

View attachment 67415838

So tell me.............................why are veterans getting such a heartthrob from wishy washy liberals all of a sudden? (Nov. 8 cough cough cough)
I shows how little respect the democrats/libruls have for veterans.

Do the vets a favor and do all of us a favor:
https://www.adn.com/politics/2022/0...asure-the-1st-bill-introduced-by-rep-peltola/
Cut the BS that come with the Fake Republican Party and some democrats ....

1. Increase the monthly VA disability Checks by $1000 for housing now what the hell!

2. Bring on Single Payer Insurance which will benefit veterans beyond reality = they will always
have access to the health care they need STAT

3.Single Payer Insurance will reduce VA health care expenses thus the cost of VA Admin.

4 Single Payer Insurance will reduce the cost of local, State and Federal Governments

5. Single Payer Insurance Will Reduce the cost of Public Education, Jr College Education, Vocational Techincal Education and College Education

6. Single Payer Insurance will reduce the cost of groceries

7. Single Payer Insurance will reduce the cost of Automobile Manufacturing

8. Single Payer Insurance will reduce the cost of Home Insurance

9. Single Payer Insurance will reduce the very high cost of Golden Parachutes

10 Single Payer Insurance will reduce the cost of OUR COST LIVING and place MORE EXPENDABLE INCOME IN OUR POCKETS

Fd6jkksXoAEnzkb

They have great respect for the art of finger-pointing.

Do the vets a favor and do all of us a favor:
https://www.adn.com/politics/2022/0...asure-the-1st-bill-introduced-by-rep-peltola/
Cut the BS that come with the Fake Republican Party and some democrats ....

1. Increase the monthly VA disability Checks by $1000 for housing now what the hell!

2. Bring on Single Payer Insurance which will benefit veterans beyond reality = they will always
have access to the health care they need STAT

3.Single Payer Insurance will reduce VA health care expenses thus the cost of VA Admin.

4 Single Payer Insurance will reduce the cost of local, State and Federal Governments

5. Single Payer Insurance Will Reduce the cost of Public Education, Jr College Education, Vocational Techincal Education and College Education

6. Single Payer Insurance will reduce the cost of groceries

7. Single Payer Insurance will reduce the cost of Automobile Manufacturing

8. Single Payer Insurance will reduce the cost of Home Insurance

9. Single Payer Insurance will reduce the very high cost of Golden Parachutes

10 Single Payer Insurance will reduce the cost of OUR COST LIVING and place MORE EXPENDABLE INCOME IN OUR POCKETS
Cut the BS. That's not a favor.

ACA is bad enough. Single-payer will increase the problems.

Back
Top Bottom