• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

44 years ago today

Josie

*probably reading smut*
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Who was watching?

first_man_on_the_moon2.jpg

*raises hand*

I wonder if people who weren't around back then realize just how big a deal it was seen to be at the time.

Watching?

Heck -- I worked on the set design.

l wish l could watch!

Before my time, but I have watched some of the original broadcast on youtube to discover that it was a more prolonged landing than some of the edits would have one believe.

The moon landing is a hoax. Elvis told me this.

If the moon landing had been real, I would have been 2.

I'll never forget it. I had sneaked into the ville (off limits) that night. I was a frequent visitor. I found the village a very peaceful experience.

This particular night I was laying on a couple of poncho liners with two or three Vietnamese prostitutes and a gaggle of kids. The kids and I wrestled and played. I brought cookies and candy for the kids. The ladies and I drank a couple of beers and smoked cigarettes. We laid there looking up at the night sky. We all played word games where we would teach each other words in Vietnamese and in English and laugh while we looked at the stars and the moon.

Most soldiers and sailors and airmen and Marines would tell you that the moon you see in a far away land is a different moon altogether than the one you see at home. The moon, especially in a war torn land, is at the same time peaceful and lonely. A celestial connection home, to sanity and reason. Is anyone you know and love back home looking at that same moon at that same moment? You sometimes look at it and wonder if you'll ever see that moon again from back in the "the world", if you'll ever be home again. The experience is a sweet sadness that remains with me even today.

That night I didn't want that kind of a moon. I was the honored guest at a late evening impromptu hooker's picnic and I was having fun. All of laying there looking at the sky with the misplace pride of a 20 year old conquering soldier I explained to everyone that an American was conquering the moon, walking on it. Gonna put an American flag up there. The ladies and all the kids were not at all impressed. Not one bit.

The planets, they told me, long ago had a big battle in the sky. The during the fight many planets became battered and beaten and as they did they broke into little pieces and became stars. The elaborate story went on for maybe 10 minutes. In the end, the sun and the moon were the victors. The sun rules the day and the moon rules the night and both return each day to remind us. It was beautiful and enduring story that is probably told today in that village. I liked their story much better than mine. On any night that I take a moment to look at the moon in the quiet dark I always think of the ladies and kids in the village and I wonder what happened to them and if they remember that night, if they remember me.

I remember it. I was a little kid, playing in the floor with my metal airplane with the wind-up propeller, and all the adults were glued to the TV. I looked up and saw it... and I've been space-crazy ever since.

I don't even think my parents were born :p

My parents were so excited. Daddy dragged us all into their bedroom with the TV to watch, as he said, "History being made."

the absolute apogee of the American era
we have been in a slow decline since
our nation quit thinking big dreams were good ... only impractical and expensive

great story risky. hope you will consider sharing more of your nam reflections

My friend Kent Sears and I were in Korea. His comment "that's the power of the US Dollar".

I used his name because I haven't heard from him in 20 years and hope this might accidentally locate him. Plus, I never forgot the moment.

Before my time, but I have watched some of the original broadcast on youtube to discover that it was a more prolonged landing than some of the edits would have one believe.

I was like five. I remember that most of it was BORING.

Of course my aunt and uncle had a POOL! And there were scads of cousins and neighbors about my age all hanging out.

Big crowd watching it on my uncles GIANT color tv. Maybe 26".

I was a couple of months past my sixteenth birthday when this historic event happened, and yes, I did watch closely. The next week we began a long hitchhiking trek to Woodstock...

That's the whole reason we bought a TV...a 13" B&W:lamo

I remember my fathers reaction more than anything else since I was only 3. I remember Apollo 12 much better because we were at my Aunt's house for some kind of big get together.

The moon landing is a hoax. Elvis told me this.

If the moon landing had been real, I would have been 2.

Well it was real, but it wasn't Neil Armstrong. It was aliens that survived the crash at Roswell. They took the footage, then they filmed Armstrong in front of a green screen.

Back
Top Bottom