• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

44 former US senators urge current Senate to defend democracy in op-ed

NeverTrump

Exposing GOP since 2015
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
I count five something letters like this from various different groups in various different levels of government or media. This is the latest one. A bipartisan effort that warns the country of the danger Trump poses. The only question now is what will the US Senate do about it?

(CNN)Forty-four former Republican and Democratic US senators penned an op-ed for The Washington Post that warns "we are entering a dangerous period" and urges current and future senators to be "steadfast and zealous guardians of our democracy."

Here are the people who signed it:

Max Baucus (D-Mont.), Evan Bayh (D-Ind.), Jeff Bingaman (D-N.M.), Bill Bradley (D-N.J.), Richard Bryan (D-Nev.), Ben Nighthorse Campbell (R-Colo.), Max Cleland (D-Ga.), William Cohen (R-Maine), Kent Conrad (D-N.D.), Al D’Amato (R-N.Y.), John C. Danforth (R-Mo.), Tom Daschle (D-S.D.), Dennis DeConcini (D-Ariz.), Chris Dodd (D-Conn.), Byron Dorgan (D-N.D.), David Durenberger (R-Minn.), Russ Feingold (D-Wis.), Wyche Fowler (D-Ga.), Bob Graham (D-Fla.), Chuck Hagel (R-Neb.), Tom Harkin (D-Iowa), Gary Hart (D-Colo.), Bennett Johnston (D-La.), Bob Kerrey (D-Neb.), John Kerry (D-Mass.), Paul Kirk (D-Mass.), Mary Landrieu (D-La.), Joe Lieberman (I-Conn.), Blanche Lincoln (D-Ark.), Richard Lugar (R-Ind.), Barbara Mikulski (D-Md.), Ben Nelson (D-Neb.), Sam Nunn (D-Ga.), Larry Pressler (R-S.D.), David Pryor (D-Ark.), Don Riegle (D-Mich.), Chuck Robb (D-Va.), Jay Rockefeller (D-W.Va.), Jim Sasser (D-Tenn.), Alan Simpson (R-Wyo.), Mark Udall (D-Colo.), John W. Warner (R-Va.), Lowell Weicker (I-Conn.), Tim Wirth (D-Colo.)

I count five something letters like this from various different groups in various different levels of government or media. This is the latest one. A bipartisan effort that warns the country of the danger Trump poses. The only question now is what will the US Senate do about it?

Max Baucus (D-Mont.), Evan Bayh (D-Ind.), Jeff Bingaman (D-N.M.), Bill Bradley (D-N.J.), Richard Bryan (D-Nev.), Ben Nighthorse Campbell (R-Colo.), Max Cleland (D-Ga.), William Cohen (R-Maine), Kent Conrad (D-N.D.), Al D’Amato (R-N.Y.), John C. Danforth (R-Mo.), Tom Daschle (D-S.D.), Dennis DeConcini (D-Ariz.), Chris Dodd (D-Conn.), Byron Dorgan (D-N.D.), David Durenberger (R-Minn.), Russ Feingold (D-Wis.), Wyche Fowler (D-Ga.), Bob Graham (D-Fla.), Chuck Hagel (R-Neb.), Tom Harkin (D-Iowa), Gary Hart (D-Colo.), Bennett Johnston (D-La.), Bob Kerrey (D-Neb.), John Kerry (D-Mass.), Paul Kirk (D-Mass.), Mary Landrieu (D-La.), Joe Lieberman (I-Conn.), Blanche Lincoln (D-Ark.), Richard Lugar (R-Ind.), Barbara Mikulski (D-Md.), Ben Nelson (D-Neb.), Sam Nunn (D-Ga.), Larry Pressler (R-S.D.), David Pryor (D-Ark.), Don Riegle (D-Mich.), Chuck Robb (D-Va.), Jay Rockefeller (D-W.Va.), Jim Sasser (D-Tenn.), Alan Simpson (R-Wyo.), Mark Udall (D-Colo.), John W. Warner (R-Va.), Lowell Weicker (I-Conn.), Tim Wirth (D-Colo.)

Most on your list are leftists who have always opposed Trump, and Never-Trumpers. Why is this news a surprise? :yawn:
Do your homework before you post, friend.

I'd love for someone to tell me what is so great about democracy that it deserves defending.

Most on your list are leftists who have always opposed Trump, and Never-Trumpers. Why is this news a surprise?

Sorry my cat seems to have eaten my rose-colored glasses.

Most on your list are leftists who have always opposed Trump, and Never-Trumpers. Why is this news a surprise? :yawn:

tumblr_muu7u1GrwB1ry46hlo1_400.gif

There are two threads on this topic. Any way to merge them?

Since these are former U.S. Senators, it's difficult to conclude that all or most of them ever opposed Trump or currently do. I'll grant you guys like John Kerry certainly does. He's made that point clear in the not too distant past. But the others...

I guess one could conclude that since they penned the op-ed they don't like him much, but just as some people claimed to merely oppose Obama's policies and not dislike him simply because he was Black, I suppose the same could be said of Trump. They don't dislike him personally; they just oppose his methods, ideology or the direction he's taking the country.

Last edited:

They won't do anything about it. Mitch Mcconnell received 3.5 million from a Russian oligarch.

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/...connects-russian-oligarch-money-gop-campaigns

Now that's a very comprehensive list of Congressional Elites. I'm not surprised they would pipe up now. Everything they've worked for is being dismantled by Trump.

Now that's a very comprehensive list of Congressional Elites. I'm not surprised they would pipe up now. Everything they've worked for is being dismantled by Trump.

In other words.....they disagree with cult leader! I must call them names and try to disparage them!

Since these are former U.S. Senators, it's difficult to conclude that all or most of them ever opposed Trump or currently do. I'll grant you guys like John Kerry certainly does. He's made that point clear in the not too distant past. But the others...

I guess one could conclude that since they penned the op-ed they don't like him much, but just as some people claimed to merely oppose Obama's policies and not dislike him simply because he was Black, I suppose the same could be said of Trump. They don't dislike him personally; they just oppose his methods, ideology or the direction he's taking the country.

I looked those on the list up...
I suggest that you and others do too.
Most on the list have always opposed Trump as president.

Why is it Democrat are always cast as elites? Last I saw Trump came into office because the voters weren't very pleased with today's establishment Republicans. Wouldn't they be the elitest now?

How soon will it be that those 44 will be called the enemy of the people?

Sorry my cat seems to have eaten my rose-colored glasses.

It would appear so since everything I wrote above is factual.
This particular senate list is full of Trump hating leftists and Never-Trumpers.

There is no threat to democracy here. In fact, the only threats to democracy to see (if there is one) are all the people that signed this op-ed and all of the others cut from the same cloth who are desperately trying to undo the results of the last elections via political chicanery.

Talk about irony.

Former senators = private citizens = who cares

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I think the letter is a warning for the Republican-controlled Senate. We've heard Senators such a Ron Paul suggest that just because candidate Trump used campaign funds it doesn't warrant as an impeachable offense. Yet, misuse of such funds is classified as felony under the law. So, if the Constitution deems that the President can be impeached for "high crimes and misdemeanors" a felony offense certainly classifies as a high crime. The problem is this offense occurred not while Trump was POTUS, but as he was running for office. That's the rub and I think this is the aspect of our democracy these former Senators are referring to.

If a candidate can essentially hide an immoral act from the electorate in order to further his or her chances of being elected, does that not mean the electorate didn't have all the facts concerning the candidate's character so that they can make a well-informed decision on that person's suitability for candidacy? Part of our democratic process includes the electorate properly vetting each and every candidate. Granted, this was a personal matter where Trump was concerned but it's a matter he apparently took great pains to conceal.

I'm sure people will feel differently about this. Some will say the information was well-known. Clearly it was not otherwise, why go to such lengths to conceal it? Others will say "they found the evidence they went looking for" and dismiss it out of hand. I'm of the opinion that if a crime was committed by the candidate while in the process of running for election, that crime if the evidence present such extends to that office once duly elected. But since I'm no lawyer...:shrug:

Last edited:
I think the letter is a warning for the Republican-controlled Senate. We've heard Senators such a Ron Paul suggest that just because candidate Trump used campaign funds it doesn't warrant as an impeachable offense. Yet, misuse of such funds is classified as felony under the law. So, if the Constitution deems that the President can be impeached for "high crimes and misdemeanors" a felony offense certainly classifies as a high crime. The problem is this offense occurred not while Trump was POTUS, but as he was running for office. That's the rub and I think this is the aspect of our democracy these former Senators are referring to.

If a candidate can essentially hide an immoral act from the electorate in order to further his or her chances of being elected, does that not mean the electorate didn't have all the facts concerning the candidate's character so that they can make a well-informed decision on that person's suitability for candidacy? Part of our democratic process includes the electorate properly vetting each and every candidate. Granted, this was a personal matter where Trump was concerned but it's a matter he apparently too great pains to conceal.

I'm sure people will feel differently about this. Some will say the information was well-known. Clearly it was not otherwise, why go to such lengths to conceal it?

Let's test the theory and see if 45 can be re-elected or not charged if he shoots someone on 5th Avenue.

I'd love for someone to tell me what is so great about democracy that it deserves defending.

A diversity of perspectives arrives at the most just and efficient solutions. No dictator, however benevolent, can gather the knowledge and perspective of all aspects of society. Dozens of advisers from every class and social sector could not account for all the variables. Thus, a dictator is always acting with vast blind spots and solutions are likely to ignore swaths of society. Ultimately, for this reason, dictatorships are not sustainable.

Why is it Democrat are always cast as elites? Last I saw Trump came into office because the voters weren't very pleased with today's establishment Republicans. Wouldn't they be the elitest now?

I didn't single out Dems and neither does the list.

In other words.....they disagree with cult leader! I must call them names and try to disparage them!

Irony is running rampant.

First of all this is an op-ed and most likely nothing is going to come of this. Secondly, the people on this list are most likely going to stand beside the op-ed until someone comes forward with all of the dark little things they've don while they held seats and then we will see people back peddling, or downright pulling out of the list entirely.

The fact that the letter doesn't even nail down why "we should defend democracy" is more than a little telling.

I didn't single out Dems and neither does the list.

But would you have used that word if the list consisted of majority Republicans?

Of the approximately 44 former U.S. Senators who signed the op-ed, 10 are Republicans and 2 are Independents. The rest are Democrats. And since the snub "elites" have been pegged to Democrats for decades by those on the right to the point now where the term is commonplace with conservative talk radio these days, who else could you have been referring to?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom