• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

44 ex-senators warn U.S. is 'entering a dangerous period'

year2late

IIJAFM
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
A bipartisan group of nearly four dozen former senators warned current and future members of the Senate on Monday that the United States is “entering a dangerous period,” and urged them to defend America’s democracy by serving national interests rather than political ideologies.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/12/10/ex-senators-op-ed-1055429

This was 44 former senators

32 Dems
10 Republicans
2 Independents

The signers

Max Baucus (D-Mont.), Evan Bayh (D-Ind.), Jeff Bingaman (D-N.M.), Bill Bradley (D-N.J.), Richard Bryan (D-Nev.), Ben Nighthorse Campbell (R-Colo.), Max Cleland (D-Ga.), William Cohen (R-Maine), Kent Conrad (D-N.D.), Al D’Amato (R-N.Y.), John C. Danforth (R-Mo.), Tom Daschle (D-S.D.), Dennis DeConcini (D-Ariz.), Chris Dodd (D-Conn.), Byron Dorgan (D-N.D.), David Durenberger (R-Minn.), Russ Feingold (D-Wis.), Wyche Fowler (D-Ga.), Bob Graham (D-Fla.), Chuck Hagel (R-Neb.), Tom Harkin (D-Iowa), Gary Hart (D-Colo.), Bennett Johnston (D-La.), Bob Kerrey (D-Neb.), John Kerry (D-Mass.), Paul Kirk (D-Mass.), Mary Landrieu (D-La.), Joe Lieberman (I-Conn.), Blanche Lincoln (D-Ark.), Richard Lugar (R-Ind.), Barbara Mikulski (D-Md.), Ben Nelson (D-Neb.), Sam Nunn (D-Ga.), Larry Pressler (R-S.D.), David Pryor (D-Ark.), Don Riegle (D-Mich.), Chuck Robb (D-Va.), Jay Rockefeller (D-W.Va.), Jim Sasser (D-Tenn.), Alan Simpson (R-Wyo.), Mark Udall (D-Colo.), John W. Warner (R-Va.), Lowell Weicker (I-Conn.), Tim Wirth (D-Colo.)

The letter (part one)

By 44 Former U.S. Senators December 10 at 8:30 PM
Dear Senate colleagues,

As former members of the U.S. Senate, Democrats and Republicans, it is our shared view that we are entering a dangerous period, and we feel an obligation to speak up about serious challenges to the rule of law, the Constitution, our governing institutions and our national security.

We are on the eve of the conclusion of special counsel Robert S. Mueller III’s investigation and the House’s commencement of investigations of the president and his administration. The likely convergence of these two events will occur at a time when simmering regional conflicts and global power confrontations continue to threaten our security, economy and geopolitical stability.

It is a time, like other critical junctures in our history, when our nation must engage at every level with strategic precision and the hand of both the president and the Senate.

The letter (part 2)
We are at an inflection point in which the foundational principles of our democracy and our national security interests are at stake, and the rule of law and the ability of our institutions to function freely and independently must be upheld.

During our service in the Senate, at times we were allies and at other times opponents, but never enemies. We all took an oath swearing allegiance to the Constitution. Whatever united or divided us, we did not veer from our unwavering and shared commitment to placing our country, democracy and national interest above all else.

At other critical moments in our history, when constitutional crises have threatened our foundations, it has been the Senate that has stood in defense of our democracy. Today is once again such a time.

Regardless of party affiliation, ideological leanings or geography, as former members of this great body, we urge current and future senators to be steadfast and zealous guardians of our democracy by ensuring that partisanship or self-interest not replace national interest.

This thread needs to be merged with the other "44 ex-senator" thread.

Everyone needs to read their letter before replying as partisans . This is the moment we need to protect our democracy and institutions.

The letter (part 2)
Problem is, and has been for quite a while, that each party believes ITS platform is in the nation's best interests and that the OTHER party's is pure partisan poppycock.

Problem is, and has been for quite a while, that each party believes ITS platform is in the nation's best interests and that the OTHER party's is pure partisan poppycock.

And these former Senators are saying it's time to defend our Democracy. Surely you can't disagree with that.

I don't. What makes you think that?? :confused:

You call people not on the dole, who served their country with nothing to gain for anything they say... a
Bunch of fear-mongering old farts who need to STFU

That's why I said that. These aren't people who will get some handsome campaign donation for speaking out. The writing is on the wall and you want to play dumb about it.

Let me clear the air and you can say I'm jumping the gun or running on fumes... whatever but here it is.

Trump is a treasonist who went on TV and begged Russia for help who.. the very next day, started rolling out the emails they stole. The trump administration knew they had them. Then, on top of that, the NRA laundered Russian money to the trump campaign as if it was solely from themselves. The Maria Butina connection and reporting to Alexander Torshin will bear this out. In return for this Trump promised to remove the sanctions on Russia. This is not just a presidency but a whole damn party is compromised by kompromat. We've got ****nut politicians acting in a 180 degree version of themselves just a few years earlier and it's because more than just party loyalty. These asshats are doing all they can to simply protect themselves. Republican emails have been hacked as well and they aren't getting leaked by Russia because they are full on blackmail material pulling their strings.

Yes I've made connections that are yet to fully be revealed but I am making very, very tiny leaps to connect these dots. America needs you more than the GOP does. The GOP is clearly compromised. If you don't see it now, you will. I hope sooner than later.

Last edited:
All this, coming from people that looked out for themselves all the time, just like today's Congress.

Not to mention the fact that we had a democratic election and they've been trying to undo those results ever since. Talk about a danger.

Everyone needs to read their letter before replying as partisans . This is the moment we need to protect our democracy and institutions.
From what exactly. Could they be any more vauge?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

You call people not on the dole, who served their country with nothing to gain for anything they say... a .

That's why I said that. These aren't people who will get some handsome campaign donation for speaking out. The writing is on the wall and you want to play dumb about it.

Let me clear the air and you can say I'm jumping the gun or running on fumes... whatever but here it is.

Trump is a treasonist who went on TV and begged Russia for help who.. the very next day, started rolling out the emails they stole. The trump administration knew they had them. Then, on top of that, the NRA laundered Russian money to the trump campaign as if it was solely from themselves. The Maria Butina connection and reporting to Alexander Torshin will bear this out. In return for this Trump promised to remove the sanctions on Russia. This is not just a presidency but a whole damn party is compromised by kompromat. We've got ****nut politicians acting in a 180 degree version of themselves just a few years earlier and it's because more than just party loyalty. These asshats are doing all they can to simply protect themselves. Republican emails have been hacked as well and they aren't getting leaked by Russia because they are full on blackmail material pulling their strings.

Yes I've made connections that are yet to fully be revealed but I am making very, very tiny leaps to connect these dots. America needs you more than the GOP does. The GOP is clearly compromised. If you don't see it now, you will. I hope sooner than later.
This is what your expecting Mueller to come back with?

From what exactly. Could they be any more vauge?

Only to those who lost all sense or respect for our Constitution and government.

I'll agree with your post, but add that the federal institutions should never be wielded as political weapons, as it appears they have been and are.

Not to mention the fact that we had a democratic election and they've been trying to undo those results ever since. Talk about a danger.

They don't get the irony.

Only to those who lost all sense or respect for our Constitution and government.

You mean like the left as of Nov. 8, 2016?

Back
Top Bottom