• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

41 percent of adults don't plan to get flu shot despite last year's deadly season

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://thehill.com/policy/healthca...lan-to-get-flu-shot-after-deadliest-season-in

More than 40 percent of American adults have not received a flu shot this year and don't plan to do so, according to a new poll released Wednesday.

The survey from NORC at the University of Chicago found that, as of mid-November, 41 percent of adults said they haven't been vaccinated and have no plans to change that, despite last season's record-high death toll.
========================================
My wife at the time & myself had the flu once & we couldn't get out of bed for days. Flu killed a lot of people after WWI. Why this huge percentage of people take this stance is baffling. Maybe most people are either uninformed or just stupid.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthca...lan-to-get-flu-shot-after-deadliest-season-in

More than 40 percent of American adults have not received a flu shot this year and don't plan to do so, according to a new poll released Wednesday.

The survey from NORC at the University of Chicago found that, as of mid-November, 41 percent of adults said they haven't been vaccinated and have no plans to change that, despite last season's record-high death toll.
My wife at the time & myself had the flu once & we couldn't get out of bed for days. Flu killed a lot of people after WWI. Why this huge percentage of people take this stance is baffling. Maybe most people are either uninformed or just stupid.

There is no proof that these flu shoots do anything in fact, flu shoots increase your odds of getting sick.

Distrust. Its hard to know who and what to trust. Couple that with the fact that we know we (as a species) did fine for millions of years prior to vaccines and, well, there you have it.

From what I heard from doctors, last year's flu shot was one of the most ineffective at preventing that year's flu. If there's a high chance that it's not going to work, then that's a pretty good reason to not get it.

"2017–18 Seasonal Influenza Vaccine Effectiveness: Interim Data. Vaccine effectiveness was 36% overall and 59% in children under 8 years of age. The influenza vaccine's poor performance in the Southern Hemisphere led to concerns for low efficacy in the U.S. Mar 2, 2018"

https://www.jwatch.org/na46175/2018/03/02/2017-18-seasonal-influenza-vaccine-effectiveness-interim

I m 69 and I never get a flu shot and will not do so this year.

But its fine with me if everyone else does.

I got my daughter the flu shot this year. I regretted it the very next day as she had a 103 temp and was sicker than a dog. She missed a weeks worth of school. Never again will I get anyone in my family a flu shot.

I guess I am part of the 41%. I have never gotten a flu shot. Never put much thought into the decision. I am mid-sixties and have had luck with my health. Isn’t the vaccine made up of the flu strain?

I got my daughter the flu shot this year. I regretted it the very next day as she had a 103 temp and was sicker than a dog. She missed a weeks worth of school. Never again will I get anyone in my family a flu shot.
That wasn't caused by the flu shot. The vaccine shot literally cannot cause the flu. The viruses in the shot have been inactivated, which is another word for "smashed into little tiny bits of virus particles by heat, chemicals and radiation." Those particles can't reassemble themselves. At most you'll feel a slight headache or feeling of tiredness, but you cannot get a 103 temperature from the vaccine.

Likewise, it takes two weeks for the flu shot to prime the immune system. Meaning, if you were vaccinated today, you would be susceptible to catching the flu up until the 19th of December.

If you daughter did catch the flu, you waited too long into the flu season have her get it.

I am in my late 60's. When I was younger I didn't get the flu shot and about every other year I got the flu. Starting in my 50's I started getting the shot. Have not had the flu since.

Distrust. Its hard to know who and what to trust. Couple that with the fact that we know we (as a species) did fine for millions of years prior to vaccines and, well, there you have it.

Also it has been well documented that our flu shots are poorly done, they often dont work very well and could work a lot better if we upgraded our practices. For example there is no reason we should be guessing a year out what strains will be most active next year, we should develop methods of manufacture that dont take so long, we should be able to make vaccines that are better suited for current conditions.

What is missing is the will to do so.

I get the flu shot every year. Though I am young and healthy, I do not wish to kill my grandfather by giving him the flu.

In the past two years, I've also gotten vaccines for,

• Typhoid - As I visited India a month ago.
  • Hep B - As I missed the childhood mandate by a couple of years.
  • HPV - Because I don't want to die of cancer.

Vaccines are probably one of the best invention that mankind has ever created, IMO.

Maybe most people arent as sickly as you and your wife. I havent missed a day of school/work in my life due to being sick

Nearly 50% of children in 1800 died before they reached adulthood. The primary causes of death were smallpox, diphtheria, measles, meningitis, scarlet fever and whooping cough.

All with the exception of scarlet fever are now vaccine preventable.

Maybe most people arent as sickly as you and your wife. I havent missed a day of school/work in my life due to being sick

The flu killed 80,000 Americans last year. That's about the size of Scranton, Pennsylvania.

That wasn't caused by the flu shot. The vaccine shot literally cannot cause the flu. The viruses in the shot have been inactivated, which is another word for "smashed into little tiny bits of virus particles by heat, chemicals and radiation." Those particles can't reassemble themselves. At most you'll feel a slight headache or feeling of tiredness, but you cannot get a 103 temperature from the vaccine.

Likewise, it takes two weeks for the flu shot to prime the immune system. Meaning, if you were vaccinated today, you would be susceptible to catching the flu up until the 19th of December.

If you daughter did catch the flu, you waited too long into the flu season have her get it.

Actually, I got it before flu season started around here at her yearly checkup. The flu season around here is usually around October. I got my daughter the flu shot in the beginning of August right when school started.

And not all flu shots are inactive. Boston Childrens Hopital ~ Live virus vaccine vs. killed virus vaccine: What's the difference? I didn't even know that they gave out live flu shots until this year.

I get the flu shot every year. Though I am young and healthy, I do not wish to kill my grandfather by giving him the flu.

[*] HPV - Because I don't want to die of cancer.

Vaccines are probably one of the best invention that mankind has ever created, IMO.

Yeah I bet you would hate to get cervical cancer...

I m 69 and I never get a flu shot and will not do so this year.

But its fine with me if everyone else does.

Members of my immediate family get them [ones my Wife and I will most likely to be in close contact with] I'm good....I hope.

Every year we get the hard sell "Go get your flu shot, it is very important!", yet clearly it is not important enough to motivate the experts and our governments to do a better job of producing the said flu shot.

This lowers morale and discounts the experts and our governments claims.

From what I heard from doctors, last year's flu shot was one of the most ineffective at preventing that year's flu. If there's a high chance that it's not going to work, then that's a pretty good reason to not get it.

Last year's shot didn't target the flu strain that turned out to be the baddie.

Last year's shot didn't target the flu strain that turned out to be the baddie.

Last year "Go get your flu shot, it is very important!" turned out to be wrong. And almost no one will admit it, and almost no one is out talking about how we need to make our flu shots better. There is a lack of honesty and a lack of accountability and a lack of desire to do better.

The little people are not generally so dim that they cant figure out what is going on.

• HPV - Because I don't want to die of cancer.

A note in passing: providing oral sex to a female could expose you to HPV. That's why they get PAP tests every year when they go to their gyns.

Back
Top Bottom