• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

400 US surface-to-air missiles were 'STOLEN' from Libya during the Benghazi attack

Jango

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
A former U.S. Attorney who represents whistle-blowers with knowledge of what happened when armed militants attacked the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya last year says 400 surface-to-air missiles were 'taken from Libya' during the attack, and that the U.S. intelligence community is terrified they might be used to shoot down airliners.

Joe diGenova, whose wife Victoria Toensing – a former deputy assistant attorney general – also represents Benghazi witnesses and others with knowledge of the terror attack, told WMAL radio that the loss of those missiles is also one the reason the U.S. State Department shut down 19 embassies across the Middle East last week. 'A lot of people have come forward to share information with us,' he said during the radio station's 'Mornings On The Mall' program Monday morning.

'We have learned that one of the reasons the administration is so deeply concerned' is that 'there were 400 surface-to-air missiles stolen, and that they are ... in the hands of many people, and that the biggest fear in the U.S. intelligence community is that one of these missiles will be used to shoot down an airliner. 400 missiles, surface-to-air missiles, taken from Libya.'

Asked if the missiles are now 'in the hands of al-Qaeda operatives,' DiGenova replied, 'That is what these people are telling us.'

'400 surface-to-air missiles' were 'STOLEN' from Libya during the Benghazi attack, says whistle-blowers' attorney | Mail Online

More and more information keeps rolling out of this so-called non-scandal, eh?

Re: 400 US surface-to-air missiles were 'STOLEN' from Libya during the Benghazi attac

The CIA was all over the place that night, and they won't tell anyone what they were doing. Until that's answered, I see no reason to assume it wasn't they who staged the whole thing.

Re: 400 US surface-to-air missiles were 'STOLEN' from Libya during the Benghazi attac

That would make sense. I mean, hell, if you're going to send rifles to the Mexican Cartels then why not send Stingers to the jihadi's.

Re: 400 US surface-to-air missiles were 'STOLEN' from Libya during the Benghazi att

So that's why rescue flights and jet fighters were ordered to stand down?

400 US surface-to-air missiles were 'STOLEN' from Libya during the Benghazi att

Μολὼν λαβέ;1062182396 said:
So that's why rescue flights and jet fighters were ordered to stand down?

The conspiracy theory, from the start, was that the people killed were the ones that did not want to play ball with Alquaida, and they put up more of a fight than anticipated so the stand down became obvious...but that was just a conspiracy theory, so that still doesn't count.

The CIA was all over the place that night, and they won't tell anyone what they were doing. Until that's answered, I see no reason to assume it wasn't they who staged the whole thing.

So the theory is they killed an American servant who knew about conditions in Libya more than most and sold 400 missiles on the black market in a 2 (or more?) birds one stone type of plan?

It isn't another source but the same source in a different paper. Google 400 SAMs stolen and it is an almost verbatim re-quote for them all.

400 shoulder fired missiles- no report ever saying they are Stingers- is a lot to haul around and no one notice.

But it is odd that instead of grounding civilian flights the reaction is to close Embassies- which still are flying aircraft in and out of the countries with closed Embassies.

Not making a lot of sense....

coming from an Attorney certainly doesn't mean it's the truth.

diGenova said Monday that he knows what that threat may have involved.

The loss of the 400 surface-to-air missiles, he told WMAL's audience, 'is why we shut down the 19 embassies recently.'

'They were afraid that there was going to be a missile attack on one of the embassies. Remember, you can take a shoulder-held missile and shoot it into an embassy. Not just into the sky.'

'That's what this was all about,' he insisted. 'That's why they're so worried. That's why they have lied repeatedly about what happened in Benghazi, because they are now responsible for all of the stepchildren of violence that happens as a result of this. This is a very serious matter.'

"Oh, what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive." - Sir Walter Scott

I would need more verification of that number, 400; but it is plainly obvious that no US consulate or embassy needs 400 missiles to protect itself. Maybe 40 at the most, so what the hell were they doing there?

Oh look, an impromptu protest, or is it just some guy just out for a walk one night in Benghazi with an AK 47 that decided to go kill some Americans, or maybe kill some Americans and steal some Stinger Missiles.

600x39951.jpg
This file photo taken on September 11, 2012 shows an armed man waving his rifle as buildings and cars are engulfed in flames after being set on fire inside the US consulate compound in Benghazi. Credit: AFP/Getty Images

I would need more verification of that number, 400; but it is plainly obvious that no US consulate or embassy needs 400 missiles to protect itself. Maybe 40 at the most, so what the hell were they doing there?

Ever hear of Syrian rebels? ;)

Apparently, sorry, little fuzzy on the details... But part of what was going on at the embassy involved decommissioning old weapons, but that other groups could have whatever weapons for various reasons.

I don't know, but that's what I read, maybe by the same whistleblower...

Is it still outside the realm of possibility that there were that many weapons with intent to distribute them to Alquaida?

It's been in the news more and more the past few months, that the groups we are supporting that are fighting against the Syrians, at least contain a group that are allied with Alquaida.

How obvious does it have to get?

Μολὼν λαβέ;1062186346 said:
Ever hear of Syrian rebels? ;)

Yes, we'll see.

Re: 400 US surface-to-air missiles were 'STOLEN' from Libya during the Benghazi att

Apparently, sorry, little fuzzy on the details... But part of what was going on at the embassy involved decommissioning old weapons, but that other groups could have whatever weapons for various reasons.

I don't know, but that's what I read, maybe by the same whistleblower...

Is it still outside the realm of possibility that there were that many weapons with intent to distribute them to Alquaida?

It's been in the news more and more the past few months, that the groups we are supporting that are fighting against the Syrians, at least contain a group that are allied with Alquaida.

How obvious does it have to get?

Decommissioning weapons in not the job of the State Department. It's takes expertise like the military for that.

Decommissioning weapons in not the job of the State Department. It's takes expertise like the military for that.

I don't know, but maybe it was as a stopover place on the way to be destroyed or something like that...

I didn't think that to be the case, but I saw somethin like that explanation in a fox or CNN article, but even that article only could account for like 30-40 of the weapons at any given time.

I don't know, but maybe it was as a stopover place on the way to be destroyed or something like that...

Yeah, I'll bet. :roll: :lol: That's not how the military would be doing it. If these were live weapons all assembled, they wouldn't be anywhere near an embassy. They'd be in a secure location with armed guards.

400-missles in this semi-secure small compound? What, were they in the closet? 400-missles and no one from either the military or CIA was guarding them . . . a 400-missle size force of troops 24-hours a day, seven days a week were no where to be seen? We just stuck em in a closet and crossed our fingers they wouldn't get stolen in case we got over run? If this is true, then the State Department, CIA, Pentagon, and President were all equally incompetent.

So it must be true, huh?

Last edited:

Yeah, I'll bet. :roll: :lol: That's not how the military would be doing it. If these were live weapons all assembled, they wouldn't be anywhere near an embassy. They'd be in a secure location with armed guards.

That makes sense, but I don't really know any military protocols in that sense, I just read it in a fox / CNN article trying to explain why the weapons were there in the first place.

Everyone with any inside knowledge that's talking about it says that it had to do with the weapons, i don't know what they were doing there, but the consensus opinion expressed is that they were there...

400-missles in this semi-secure small compound? What, were they in the closet? 400-missles and no one from either the military or CIA was guarding them . . . a 400-missle size force of troops 24-hours a day, seven days a week were no where to be seen? We just stuck em in a closet and crossed our fingers they wouldn't get stolen in case we got over run? If this is true, then the State Department, CIA, Pentagon, and President were all equally incompetent.

So it must be true, huh?

Do you have any evidence to suggest that they possess competence?

But, no, it's more like evil genius level... And the fact that so far, assuming any criminality, they are getting away with it.

First it was no where near the Embassy, it was at a CIA annex with a plastic quickie sign on it saying Consulate. Second the State Dept was not running the weapons round-up, the CIA was. Third it was at a secure location with armed guards, the hired muscle who died at the Annex were in fact that armed guard. Secure is a relative term.

Now how well the CIA conducts security is an open question after the Camp Chapman attack that killed 8 CIA agents or their contractors along with wounding 6 others. they brought a double agent into Camp Chapman without any security checks and the double agent used a suicide vest to attack the agents who were targeting drone strikes into Pakistan.

But I agree the military would not have run the operation that way- then again our military was no where near Benghazi, the CIA was.

Do you have any evidence to suggest that they possess competence?

But, no, it's more like evil genius level... And the fact that so far, assuming any criminality, they are getting away with it.

Nope, and it's been that way for a long time. Institutional incompetence, but individual greatness saves the day most of the time. Otherwise we'd be living in a environment more similar to Iraq and Pakistan. If they had 400-unguarded missles there then incompetence has risen to near high levels.

Back
Top Bottom