• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

400+ Protesters Arrested at DC Captitol

RBIII

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Getting arrested for protesting money in politics. Out "Democracy" is really showing its ass this year. :shock:

[video]http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-capitol-demonstration-idUSKCN0X82M1[/video]

Police arrested more than 400 protesters outside the U.S. Capitol on Monday from Democracy Spring, an organization seeking to remove big money from politics and combat restrictive voter identification laws.

The mostly calm and orderly demonstration resulted in arrests for what the U.S. Capitol Police called "unlawful demonstration activity" such as crowding and obstruction.

Organizers vowed to repeat the demonstration every day for a week.

The protest was held "to demand Congress take immediate action to end the corruption of big money in our politics and ensure free and fair elections," Democracy Spring said on its website.

Why can't we all just get along!? :confused::peace

Also funny how its not being carried by any of the major news networks. They'd rather talk about the same ol **** they have been talking about forever.

They got arrested because it is illegal to protest on the capitol grounds, not because of what they were protesting.

Getting arrested for protesting money in politics. Out "Democracy" is really showing its ass this year. :shock:

[video]http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-capitol-demonstration-idUSKCN0X82M1[/video]

Why can't we all just get along!? :confused::peace

Also funny how its not being carried by any of the major news networks. They'd rather talk about the same ol **** they have been talking about forever.

Good for the Capitol Police.

They got arrested because it is illegal to protest on the capitol grounds, not because of what they were protesting.

That's a stupid and convenient rule, that's where the people being protested against are.

That's a stupid rule, that's where the people being protested against are.

If we allowed anyone to protest and obstruct the Capitol it would impede all business there. You can demonstrate in front and around the Capitol in designated areas or with permits which aren't too difficult to obtain and people do it all the time. These people wanted to get arrested so they deliberately went where that was bound to happen.

That's a stupid and convenient rule, that's where the people being protested against are.

The problem with the protest is it was a designed "sit in." The goal was more than just the protest of those in Congress who seemingly are attached to pools of wealth, the goal was to disrupt their activity.

This group is more than welcome to protest this in any number of ways including being at nor near capital grounds, but what they cannot do without consequence is block activity. We walk a fine line here when one group's right to "petition the Government for a redress of grievances" collides with another's ability to function.

The problem with the protest is it was a designed "sit in." The goal was more than just the protest of those in Congress who seemingly are attached to pools of wealth, the goal was to disrupt their activity.

This group is more than welcome to protest this in any number of ways including being at nor near capital grounds, but what they cannot do without consequence is block activity. We walk a fine line here when one group's right to "petition the Government for a redress of grievances" collides with another's ability to function.

no different than protesting on the road and blocking traffic without a permit.
you will get arrested doing that as well.

If we allowed anyone to protest and obstruct the Capitol it would impede all business there. You can demonstrate in front and around the Capitol in designated areas or with permits which aren't too difficult to obtain and people do it all the time. These people wanted to get arrested so they deliberately went where that was bound to happen.

I don't think they wanted to get arrested, they wanted to peacefully protest. The reason given is "unlawful demonstration activity", which is kind of broad.

I didn't read in the story where it says they were trying to block activity. If massive numbers in a location does that by default how is that the protestors fault. Should they just not protest because there is not enough room for everyone?

no different than protesting on the road and blocking traffic without a permit.
you will get arrested doing that as well.

I think its a little different, and again i see no where in the story that any activity was blocked. I guess i could check another source.

I'm with you. I'm going to put in for a 100% refund on my income taxes, and write "This is stupid" on it, with an arrow pointing to the word "tax".

I don't think they wanted to get arrested, they wanted to peacefully protest. The reason given is "unlawful demonstration activity", which is kind of broad.

They wanted to get arrested, it's called exposure. And it worked.

They knew what they were doing.

Should they protest at home on twitter, or where the problem is?

They should protest in the designated areas like everyone else. Nice try though.

I'm with you. I'm going to put in for a 100% refund on my income taxes, and write "This is stupid" on it, with an arrow pointing to the word "tax".

That's the spirit :cheers:

I agree. They should have done their protesting out in the middle of the Arizona desert where they wouldn't be in anyone's way. It makes no sense to protest at the capitol.

I didn't read in the story where it says they were trying to block activity. If massive numbers in a location does that by default how is that the protestors fault. Should they just not protest because there is not enough room for everyone?

I think its a little different, and again i see no where in the story that any activity was blocked. I guess i could check another source.

More than 400 ‘Democracy Spring’ protesters arrested at Capitol Hill sit-in | myfox8.com

they were doing a sit in.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

But they're in the wrong place, er.... they're blocking traffic... this isn't a convenient time... er... let's see.. how else can we get around the First Amendment?

Seems to me the first amendment needs an NRA like the second one has. The fourth, fifth, and tenth are starting to look a little battered and tattered as well.

They wanted to get arrested, it's called exposure. And it worked.

They knew what they were doing.

They should protest in the designated areas like everyone else. Nice try though.

What if the number of people are too big to fit in the designated area? Anyone that doesn't fit should go home and write a strongly worded Facebook post?

If we allowed anyone to protest and obstruct the Capitol it would impede all business there.

You mean like it impedes business anywhere?

Thinking back to the social justice era and the massive anti-war campaigns during Vietnam...

Whether or not you agreed with those protests, it's such a stark contrast between now and today. People were way more audacious and the authorities actually feared them.

The situation is reversed now. Now you need to ask permission to protest and get permits. Who cares about the stupid capitol grounds? The whole point of protesting is to crowd and obstruct. It's supposed to create inconvenience.

Our country has really lost its way.

But they're in the wrong place, er.... they're blocking traffic... this isn't a convenient time... er... let's see.. how else can we get around the First Amendment?

Seems to me the first amendment needs an NRA like the second one has. The fourth, fifth, and tenth are starting to look a little battered and tattered as well.

There is no need for a bill of rights when you have a king.

It is called civil disobedience. It is by definition illegal. It is also a time-honored American tradition.

And yes, they DID want to get arrested. This protest has been discussed in alternative media for weeks now and arrest was in the plan. They even received lessons on how to behave peacefully while being arrested.

Hmm. Why would it be illegal to protest on capital grounds?

If protesters wanted to get the attention of their elected representatives, isn't this where you'd want to protest? Weren't there previous protests on those grounds?

Might it be that you'd have to request permission or register to protest there?

Thinking back to the social justice era and the massive anti-war campaigns during Vietnam...

Whether or not you agreed with those protests, it's such a stark contrast between now and today. People were way more audacious and the authorities actually feared them.

The situation is reversed now. Now you need to ask permission to protest and get permits. Who cares about the stupid capitol grounds? The whole point of protesting is to crowd and obstruct. It's supposed to create inconvenience.

Our country has really lost its way.

And all that does is piss people off and make them less likely to see things your way.

If somebody's in an ambulance and dies because they can't make it to the hospital in time because your giant ass protest is blocking the road, that's on you.

Back
Top Bottom