• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

40 years for a woman who let her kids boil to death while partying

Mr Person

A Little Bitter
Suspended
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
19 year old mother leaves a 1 and 2 year old daughter in a car for 15-18 hours, parties. In the interim, some partying guy enters the car because there isn't space in the party house, sleeps in it, but rolls up the windows. She finds them the next day (it reached 90 degrees outside), doesn't take them to a hospital, they die. She gets 40 years.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...s-prison-their-deaths/?utm_term=.710e5e7a1430

You know....

This kind of thing sometimes strikes me as worse than premeditated murder. Some drug dealer shoots another one, at least he's doing it for a reason. He means to do it. He thought about it. They were indeed bad thoughts. But he thought about it. He considered it. That's the justification for it being a harsher penalty in our law. And while I generally agree with the concept, I'm just not sure it makes sense in every situation. She did not care. She did not care about something that important: a creature, a proto-human, utterly helpless. In a way, isn't just not caring even worse than knowing killing is wrong but doing it for monetary (or other) reasons?

In certain circumstances like these, I feel that utter callousness might just be more evil than a deliberate murder. To simply not care......

I cannot imagine doing such a thing. No matter what I did when I was young, I cannot imagine ever doing something like this: to just lock a 1 and 2 year old in a ****ing car and go get high? Seriously? How? This isn't some addict who obeyed heroin's command but ended up overdosing - not that that's a great defense - this is someone who chose to do this while able to stop doing it at any time, didn't, went to sleep, woke up, had a bang, checked on the kids, and then still chose not to take them to a hospital where they could be saved because she might get in trouble. (And yes, I know full well that the addict chooses to 'try' a drug, then keep doing it, then ends up addicted.....but that's a tad different)

I want to be clear: I know perfectly well that she didn't deliberately leave them in the car with the windows up. A murder charge might not be appropriate (at least where I am). But she still did not care what happened during those 15-18 hours. If anyone deserves righteous fury, it's her.

Hawkins made a statement before her sentencing, stating, “I will accept whatever the punishment may be,” and that “there are no excuses for what I did.”

No, there are not. I can perhaps at least take comfort in the likelihood that your children were so young that their brains had not yet developed to the point of understanding that they were a "they" and it was that "they" experiencing the pain, but rather understood only "there is pain." Not that that's all that much better....

_______

Anyway, this isn't really political so I put it here. Just figured I'd darken your day a bit. Sorry...

Last edited:
Horrible.

I guess there are people who really shouldn't be parents.
But I would fear the government that would have the power to prevent them from doing so.

This is near the ultimate "I dont give a ****", which is undergoing rampant growth as this society breaks down.

This is near the ultimate "I dont give a ****", which is undergoing rampant growth as this society breaks down.

You act as if callousness, barbarism and negligence are somehow a new thing.

I get it, your schtick is that "everything is falling apart." And yes, this case is reprehensible. But the reason cases like this are publicized so much is because they're so exceedingly rare, especially as population increases and media attention on everything increases.

Society is not breaking down. If anything, it's stronger than ever.

I get it, your schtick is that "everything is falling apart." And yes, this case is reprehensible. But the reason cases like this are publicized so much is because they're so exceedingly rare, especially as population increases and media attention on everything increases.

"But Putin said..."

40 years for a woman who let her kids boil to death while partying

"Boil to death?" Come on. Don't you think that headline is excessively sensationalist?

"Boil to death?" Come on. Don't you think that headline is excessively sensationalist?

Yeah, I was expecting something much worse, which is saying a lot because what actually happened is already really, REALLY horrible.

Tragic. The sentence sounds right. She will probably serve a little less than half of the sentence. Her life sounds a bit like a train wreck prior. Maybe coming out she can find a better path. No one wins here.

You could quote me in reply if you're going to quote me....

The headline was actually "A woman partied as her kids sat in a hot car. She’ll serve 40 years in prison for their deaths." If there's an exact-title requirement in this forum I suppose I'm about to pick up points. I shortened/paraphrased it.

Anyway, I realized between the first and second reading (shame on me) that it wasn't the mother who rolled up the windows as I first thought. She left them the in car. The dude who decided to crash in the car for the night was the one who then rolled up the windows. I said that in the opening of the post, but I couldn't edit the title (or can I?). It hit/passed 90 degrees within the relevant time frame. If "boil" is objectionable because she didn't literally put them in a boiling pot of liquid, then I'm going to object to hyper-technicality. Fine, she slowly allowed them to bake to death in sauna-like conditions.

- hugemongous post shortened to avoid going over 5000 characters-

40 years of course doesn't fit negligent homicide... but I wouldn't complain personally about her receiving such a sentence. Now 11 years for bludgeoning an old man to death who was trying defend a battered woman.. That's just wrong.

Turdler-

Don%20Lacey.JPG

Decedent, Karl Whitehead 70 years old

karlwhitehead.jpg

https://www.modbee.com/news/local/crime/article223114925.html

In California, the killer will do 5-6 years. Oh but the journalist actually took the time to write about what a great guy the killer was. Apparently he was a gud boi many years ago, before killing an old man trying to earn a living. Very fine people.

Yeah, I was expecting something much worse, which is saying a lot because what actually happened is already really, REALLY horrible.

Ditto...like an old crone and kids in cauldrons...

maxresdefault.jpg

The headline was actually "A woman partied as her kids sat in a hot car. She’ll serve 40 years in prison for their deaths." If there's an exact-title requirement in this forum I suppose I'm about to pick up points. I shortened/paraphrased it.

Anyway, I realized between the first and second reading (shame on me) that it wasn't the mother who rolled up the windows as I first thought. She left them the in car. The dude who decided to crash in the car for the night was the one who then rolled up the windows. I said that in the opening of the post, but I couldn't edit the title (or can I?). It hit/passed 90 degrees within the relevant time frame. If "boil" is objectionable because she didn't literally put them in a boiling pot of liquid, then I'm going to object to hyper-technicality. Fine, she slowly allowed them to bake to death in sauna-like conditions.

Red:
Were this the 1990s or before, I probably would have assumed "boil" was but literary hyperbole. But this is 2018, and insofar as I posted a thread about woman who literally killed and cooked her ex and then offered his blender-minced remains to workers who toiled near her home, something I once would have thought unconscionable to all in Western (or even semi-Western) world, I'm adequately "jaded" that I wouldn't put it beyond someone to boil their children. So when I saw "kids boil to death," I thought you were sharing a story that's similarly gruesome.

And FWIW, if your title had said "bake/baked," I'd have thought it a story about a woman who stuffed her kids in a walk-in oven.

B4-900Gas.jpg

Slippery slope when we start to pasrse and critique what words and phrases other posters use in their posts; eh?

19 year old mother leaves a 1 and 2 year old daughter in a car for 15-18 hours, parties. In the interim, some partying guy enters the car because there isn't space in the party house, sleeps in it, but rolls up the windows. She finds them the next day (it reached 90 degrees outside), doesn't take them to a hospital, they die. She gets 40 years.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...s-prison-their-deaths/?utm_term=.710e5e7a1430

You know....

This kind of thing sometimes strikes me as worse than premeditated murder. Some drug dealer shoots another one, at least he's doing it for a reason. He means to do it. He thought about it. They were indeed bad thoughts. But he thought about it. He considered it. That's the justification for it being a harsher penalty in our law. And while I generally agree with the concept, I'm just not sure it makes sense in every situation. She did not care. She did not care about something that important: a creature, a proto-human, utterly helpless. In a way, isn't just not caring even worse than knowing killing is wrong but doing it for monetary (or other) reasons?

In certain circumstances like these, I feel that utter callousness might just be more evil than a deliberate murder. To simply not care......

I cannot imagine doing such a thing. No matter what I did when I was young, I cannot imagine ever doing something like this: to just lock a 1 and 2 year old in a ****ing car and go get high? Seriously? How? This isn't some addict who obeyed heroin's command but ended up overdosing - not that that's a great defense - this is someone who chose to do this while able to stop doing it at any time, didn't, went to sleep, woke up, had a bang, checked on the kids, and then still chose not to take them to a hospital where they could be saved because she might get in trouble. (And yes, I know full well that the addict chooses to 'try' a drug, then keep doing it, then ends up addicted.....but that's a tad different)

I want to be clear: I know perfectly well that she didn't deliberately leave them in the car with the windows up. A murder charge might not be appropriate (at least where I am). But she still did not care what happened during those 15-18 hours. If anyone deserves righteous fury, it's her.

No, there are not. I can perhaps at least take comfort in the likelihood that your children were so young that their brains had not yet developed to the point of understanding that they were a "they" and it was that "they" experiencing the pain, but rather understood only "there is pain." Not that that's all that much better....

_______

Anyway, this isn't really political so I put it here. Just figured I'd darken your day a bit. Sorry...

I'm sorry - but this is one of those instances where the death penalty is warranted. I don't care if these 2 infants didn't have developed brains or not. They must have experienced horrific torture while they lay in this excessively heated car.

At the very least she could have put the car in a shade or left the windows open. And why wasn't anyone around to break open the windows and rescue these 2 little children.

And I am a liberal and pro-choice BTW. And it kills me to suggest the death penalty - but on rare occasions it is warranted.

Horrible.

I guess there are people who really shouldn't be parents.
But I would fear the government that would have the power to prevent them from doing so.

Thank goodness for the pro-life republicans who allowed this unfit mother to have children - AND THEN MURDER THEM. Well done pro-life republicans!!!!

Thank goodness for the pro-life republicans who allowed this unfit mother to have children - AND THEN MURDER THEM. Well done pro-life republicans!!!!

Curious, how did they 'allow' this unfit mother to have children? Did she ask?

Yeah, kinda like that father who dragged his daughter across the desert and illegally crossed our border that ultimately lead to her death, right?
Oh, that's right, her death was the responsibility of our border patrol, not the irresponsibility of that parent, now was it? Hypocrite...

You know....

_______

40 years for stupidity. What did the guy get for rolling up the windows?
/

This is disgusting. Jail time is not enough. Send them through the Moon Door.

40 years for stupidity. What did the guy get for rolling up the windows?
/

He's charged with felony murder (which ought to be 1st degree if it's like any other jurisdiction I'm aware of). He's 16.

IMO, the availability and uncensored nature of masses of information on social media has overwhelmed alot of people...with the appearance that things are so much worse now than in the past. A lack of will perhaps, in taking the time to make that distinction..to critically examine.... for information, issues, events, etc?

Did anything happen to the guy that caused the actual death?

I'm sorry - but this is one of those instances where the death penalty is warranted. I don't care if these 2 infants didn't have developed brains or not. They must have experienced horrific torture while they lay in this excessively heated car.

They probably just sort of slowly passed out calmly and died in their sleep...

Did anything happen to the guy that caused the actual death?

I don't know what you mean. To the guy? Nothing happened to him.

He caused the death most directly because he rolled up the windows when he slept in the car (the kids were still in it), then left the car in that condition.

The woman more indirectly caused it by leaving the kids in the car in the first place (and, presumably, either giving the guy the keys or leaving it unlocked). She had left the windows down. But still, these were infants/toddlers.

Back
Top Bottom