• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

4 workers die from COVID at Smithfield plant. Feds fine company $13,494

750 paid to a regulatory body doesn’t change my situation if I’m dead and not a penny of that goes to my loved ones. So what does this value even mean?

well, if your life is worth $750, then it's basically nothing to the company that caused your death.

now, if your life is worth $10 Million, and a company is responsible for 40 deaths, then that's a deterrent. unless they're just rolling in cash.

well, if your life is worth $750, then it's basically nothing to the company that caused your death.

now, if your life is worth $10 Million, and a company is responsible for 40 deaths, then that's a deterrent. unless they're just rolling in cash.

Yeah and if every food processor in America shut down because of insane legal liability then what are the lives that will be lost in the food riots worth?

Black lives matter is a cause based on questionable premises, what do you think the reaction to 3 days of empty grocery stores would be?

Yeah and if every food processor in America shut down because of insane legal liability then what are the lives that will be lost in the food riots worth?

Black lives matter is a cause based on questionable premises, what do you think the reaction to 3 days of empty grocery stores would be?

oh, so THAT'S how you determine what a human life is worth.

like i said. $750.

750 paid to a regulatory body doesn’t change my situation if I’m dead and not a penny of that goes to my loved ones. So what does this value even mean?

It means when your boss makes value decisions, you are worth less than a decent photocopier.

oh, so THAT'S how you determine what a human life is worth.

like i said. $750.

You have no basis for that number. In fact you seem to be just in the mood to arbitrarily extract money

My argument is not based on life having a value.

It’s based on the idea that an employer is not responsible for their employees catching a virus

Paying the fine would mean admitting culpability and could be used as discovery for individual or class action lawsuits against them. It's a legal strategy, IMO - and I've watched a lot of TV lawyerin'!

Not likely. USUALLY if a company agrees to pay the government shakedown fine in return the government will agree to a "no admission nor finding of fault" agreement. That has been offered to us in the past - and our answer was always "no." Saying "no" is a huge risk because then the government says "ok, then we figure there were 1,000 violations at the maximum fine so we want millions." The dispute then is basically decided by them - unless the company is willing to spend massive sums to appeal on attorney fees - and likely have the government looking for anything else to fine the company for. In our instance, we did not have to use lawyers and for complicated reasons we has a vastly more powerful agency than the others on our side. Most companies MUST use lawyers and are on their own.

That is why all of your posts amount to nothing more than ignorant drivel.

Seems like a personal attack baiting message to me. Anything on the topic of this thread you care to post so we can debate it? Do you think the company should be fined?

Last edited:
Yes, strong and opinionated women scare you, I get it.
No, they don't. I live with one.

What I do know is that women do not debate. They manipulate.

And when they sense defeat, they scream and walk away. Alternately, they do this dry crying act.

Yes, We should get reparations from China; many trillions. Total coincidence that Smithfield is Chinese owned and managed. How'd we let that happen?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

The Democratic Party claims the were infected with the "European virus." The Democratic Party is 100% controlled by Xi Jinping and Joe Biden as their employee is their candidate. If Biden wins we might as well fly the Chinese flag over the White House.

The Democratic Party claims the were infected with the "European virus." The Democratic Party is 100% controlled by Xi Jinping and Joe Biden as their employee is their candidate. If Biden wins we might as well fly the Chinese flag over the White House.
It's Democrat. "Democratic" is a compliment and that is why these fascists-in-disguise like "Democratic" and hate "democrat". Individually, they id themselves as Democrats, but not the party.

Other than that, you are fine.

You have no basis for that number. In fact you seem to be just in the mood to arbitrarily extract money

It’s based on the idea that an employer is not responsible for their employees catching a virus

it's my opinion of what your life (and many people's) is worth.

Interesting concept you have. So, an employer should not be held responsible for machinery failures that injure or kill an employee, should not be held responsible for a toxic substance killing or injuring an employee. An employer/company should not be held responsible for the release of toxic chemicals that kill or injure people outside of their business.

Not what I would label Conservatism but would instead call it Libertarian philosophy.

Oh my god that’s right. He always insists he has total authority to do whatever but then runs like a bitch behind federalism. Well. He doesn’t “run.” More like totters.

The only time he "runs" is when there's one of those slippery walking ramps!

Interesting concept you have. So, an employer should not be held responsible ....
Can't you just say yes or no to what he said about employers not being responsible for the virus? Is it really so difficult? Instead, those dumb analogies...

If the workers were "illegal" immigrants, should their employer(s) be fined and imprisoned?
There is no such thing as "illegal immigrant". Immigrants follow the immigration process and, therefore, are here legally. The illegals break the US immigration laws and, thus, are criminal aliens who trespassed and are subject to arrest.

The fact that the US is stupid enough not to enforce its immigration laws is another matter and does not turn crossing the border illegally into peaceful tourism.

Now the answer to your question: yes.

4 workers at Smithfield plant died; feds fine company $13,494

"The U.S. Department of Labor on Thursday proposed that Smithfield Foods pay a $13,494 fine for failing to protect employees at a meat processing plant in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, where nearly 1,300 workers contracted COVID-19 and four died."

1,300 of their workers became infected with COVID. 4 died. They are challenging the fine.

LOL. You guys are just too funny. So, you are now saying that Trump's feds are doing the right thing? Is that really what you want to say?

LOL. You guys are just too funny. So, you are now saying that Trump's feds are doing the right thing? Is that really what you want to say?

i say the max $ per life is way too high. they're probably worth more like $1,000 each.

i say the max $ per life is way too high. they're probably worth more like $1,000 each.

You guys are just too funny. So, you are now saying that Trump's feds are doing the right thing? Is that really what you want to say?

Back
Top Bottom