• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

4 workers die from COVID at Smithfield plant. Feds fine company $13,494

CaughtInThe

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
4 workers at Smithfield plant died; feds fine company $13,494

"The U.S. Department of Labor on Thursday proposed that Smithfield Foods pay a $13,494 fine for failing to protect employees at a meat processing plant in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, where nearly 1,300 workers contracted COVID-19 and four died."

1,300 of their workers became infected with COVID. 4 died. They are challenging the fine.

"The U.S. Department of Labor on Thursday proposed that Smithfield Foods pay a $13,494 fine for failing to protect employees at a meat processing plant in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, where nearly 1,300 workers contracted COVID-19 and four died."

1,300 of their workers became infected with COVID. 4 died. They are challenging the fine.

Hey, this brings up something:

Remember when Trump was holding his daily covid briefings, before he told us to inject ourselves with bleach I think, and he said they’re gonna watch states as they open and if anything is going wrong they’re gonn swoop in like a hawk?

Can you think of any states that have reopened too early in which Trump has done that? I can’t.

WTH? $14K? Hopefully that establishes evidence for successful civil suits.

Remember, every proposed GOP relief package included corporate immunity from this exact thing.

A great example of how unjust American society is to business

Yes, We should get reparations from China; many trillions. Total coincidence that Smithfield is Chinese owned and managed. How'd we let that happen?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

exactly. those lives aren't worth nearly $3,000.

Oh I’m sorry if only some useless government functionary has a patronage job issuing fines they’ll all come back to life. My bad

Why the heck does that matter?
It matters the same way as the news that four thugs got killed by a thug in Chicago.

Would you agonize if some scum who was trying to break into your house broke his neck and died climbing the wall? You would be celebrating if you are sane.

Oh I’m sorry if only some useless government functionary has a patronage job issuing fines they’ll all come back to life. My bad

Yep their dead, why should we hold anyone accountable for negligence? :roll:

It matters the same way as the news that four thugs got killed by a thug in Chicago.

Would you agonize if some scum who was trying to break into your house broke his neck and died climbing the wall? You would be celebrating if you are sane.

So, these people died an agonizing death because some thugs did something?

no, i agree with you. each life is only worth $1,500 (max).

Well, that will certainly keep Smithfield from doing it again!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep their dead, why should we hold anyone accountable for negligence? :roll:

It’s not negligence when someone dies of natural causes.

Paying the fine would mean admitting culpability and could be used as discovery for individual or class action lawsuits against them. It's a legal strategy, IMO - and I've watched a lot of TV lawyerin'!

As long as the malignant narcissist gets his chicken nuggets nothing else matters.

Hey, this brings up something:

Remember when Trump was holding his daily covid briefings, before he told us to inject ourselves with bleach I think, and he said they’re gonna watch states as they open and if anything is going wrong they’re gonn swoop in like a hawk?

Can you think of any states that have reopened too early in which Trump has done that? I can’t.

He's said too many insane things to keep track of - remember when he said he had "total authority" to overrule the governors' covid guidelines? Remember when he claimed his father was born in Germany? How about that he's going to do something about our toilets that "we have to flush 12 times".

I'm just ready for this nightmare of a presidency to end.

Why the heck does that matter?

"'cause them brown people who processed my food for me at low wages and got sick doing it don't count - cause - you know - brown!" <-- sarcasm

Were they here legally?

Legal or illegal, betcha anything most of the workforce had "dead peasant" policies assigned to them that they or their family will never collect on.

In a typical broad-based leveraged COLI transaction, a corporate employer would purchase policies on masses of lower-level employees, sometimes without the employees' knowledge or consent. When an insured employee died, the company received the death benefits, and the employee's family typically received either a small portion of the proceeds or nothing. These policies could remain in place even after the employee quits or retires.

Remind me who I am supposed to feel sorry for in this scenario again?

He's said too many insane things to keep track of - remember when he said he had "total authority" to overrule the governors' covid guidelines? Remember when he claimed his father was born in Germany? How about that he's going to do something about our toilets that "we have to flush 12 times".

I'm just ready for this nightmare of a presidency to end.

Oh my god that’s right. He always insists he has total authority to do whatever but then runs like a bitch behind federalism. Well. He doesn’t “run.” More like totters.

Similar to reparations paid in Afghanistan for accidental deaths. Except it's lower.

Back
Top Bottom