• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

4 in custody after mentally disabled man tied up, tortured on Facebook Live

. The Chicago Police Commander in charge of the investigation said, " "Although they are adults, they're 18. Kids make stupid decisions -- I shouldn't call them kids, they're legally adults, but they're young adults and they make stupid decisions," Duffin said.
"That certainly will be part of whether or not ... we seek a hate crime, to determine whether or not this is sincere or just stupid ranting and raving."

This was after watching the video. If this is representative of the Chicago Police Department then it gives a pretty clear illustration of why that city is in such bad shape.

I've never been one to support hate-crime legislation. And I can see, somewhat, why as it relates to hate-crime they may hold off on calling it just that right now. That being said:

a) I'm not sure they would be so reserved if the races were reversed, and I think we would be seeing a lot more lashing out and protests if they were. BLM would likely be in the mix and perhaps even Jackson or Sharpton (if they do anything any more other than sit around and be rich)

b) They are not kids and this isn't a simple "mistake". Likely he was keeping his comments to just the race-crime aspect. But overall this is beyond deplorable. Kidnapping, false imprisonment, torture, assault and battery with a deadly weapon, etc. and they live streamed this. This act shows a complete lack of morality, ethics, empathy, or remorse. This isn't some "simple mistake". This is an act of some truly deplorable people who we must struggle in calling "human". I'm sorry that such young lives may end up ruined, but they must be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

The right wing zombies are using this crime to push a political narrative...gee what a shocker.

You mean like "Hands up, don't shoot." ?

The police chief's flippant comments were unconscionable.

The four that did this heinous act should be prosecuted on a state level to the fullest extent as adults would be, and the US DOJ should prosecute them for federal civil rights violations as well.

The blame is on all Americans that continue to define people based on race... The article should have said 4 men jailed for torturing mentally handicapped man. That is the crime.. not that one was white or the others were black or green.

As long as American continues to put people in racial categories on pretty much everything, the longer the racial problems will continue.

That would have been incorrect as it was 2 men and 2 women, and yes race is important in this case.

They chose their victim based on his race.

The blame is on all Americans that continue to define people based on race... The article should have said 4 men jailed for torturing mentally handicapped man. That is the crime.. not that one was white or the others were black or green.

As long as American continues to put people in racial categories on pretty much everything, the longer the racial problems will continue.

Really?? We have a case where race was clearly factor, based on the "F*** white people!" comment and you do your best to minimize the racism, but in cases where racism can only be implied you'll run in circles screaming about racism. This is the kind of garbage that makes us shake our heads in disbelief. This is a clearly racist crime and you'll go out of your way to avoid that fact. Why?? Why try to take the racism out of this case when it is so clearly a part of it??

The police chief's flippant comments were unconscionable.

Yeah, that was a unbelievably dumb statement to make.

They kidnapped a mentally handicapped individual, along with a stolen car, tortured him for 24 hours while streaming it live on Facebook, laughing and taunting the poor man as they're doing it, and we're supposed to just chuck that up to, "They're just 18. They do stupid things sometimes."

It takes particularly cruel and heartless individuals to do what these bastards did. And they shouldn't be given any leniency whatsoever for this unspeakably cruel act, **** that ****.

Someone on the video yells "**** white people!" I'd say this person is responsible for making it "racial."

If it happened any where else than the US.. nope. I see a cop that either made a mistake, was justified or committed murder.

When we come to the US, because of the clear racial problems in the country, then it is sadly not so. But that does not mean that the media and especially the government should continue to describe people based on race or ethnicity. Not saying that it can happen overnight, because it cant, but at least Americans should start working towards a situation where people are defined as Americans and not in some sub-set based on their colour or ethnicity.

So only Americans are racist??? Europe has historically been one of the most racist places in the world. It's the home of the concept of the "Master Race".

The blame lies with those persons responsible for this henious act. No one else is responsible. Their actions, they are responsible.

Yes, they alone are responsible for their actions.

That's the headlines in EVERY bias new media " white .......on black . It is rare to see any article about black cop does ... to white , so it must never happen . Now is this case a hate crime ? :roll:

Hell no. For me race is irrelevant. All this case proves, is that racism not only goes both ways but is still very present in the US. In fact, this for me, has far more to do with the fact that a mentally handicapped person was attacked by a bunch of bullies.

Just keep minimizing the racism....

Yet if this had been white kids and a black victim, the hate crime charges would have been front page news across the nation.

Very true. That "black lives matter" crap has put much of America in a defensive mode. Totally changed the way people look at "things."

Wait. why is this not a hate crime???

When it was a hazing.

This incident is a near mirror image of one that happened in a small town (three stoplights, if that) near me. A group of these black urban idiots rural white equivalents were friends / aquantiances with an adult black man who while not mentally retarded in the medical definition, was known to be slow.
Judge Adds Jail Time for Texas Men Who Beat Black Man | Fox News

One day, they invited him to a "pasture party". In Texas, a "pasture party" can be synonymous with the concept of idiots drinking large amounts of alcohol, anything goes behavior, hazing new participants etc. At the party, the intoxicated black man was pushed to the ground and kicked while drunk white idiots made "F- Obama" type comments, racist references etc. The victim was then dumped somewhere to sleep it off.

Though I can understand hate crime charges in both instances as the attackers in both cases vocalized their motives, a voice inside of me is saying that both were hazing. The local Sherriff in Texas also concluded that their incident was drunken hazing. Like the Chicago chief, he could have worded his conclusion better.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Why would anyone acknowledge something that no credible evidence exists for?

There is no credible evidence of what? Black racism? What do you call the OP? Or credible evidence of a democrat strangle hold on black votes? That is pretty easy to see too. Or evidence that it is a policy from the democrat party itself? LBJ quote? You could just cut on the news to see the evidence of the left trying to create narratives to further propagate black "victimization" rather than black success.

There is no credible evidence of what? Black racism? What do you call the OP? Or credible evidence of a democrat strangle hold on black votes? That is pretty easy to see too. Or evidence that it is a policy from the democrat party itself? LBJ quote? You could just cut on the news to see the evidence of the left trying to create narratives to further propagate black "victimization" rather than black success.

No credible evidence that LBJ actually ever said that. And what's the 'democrat' party? Never heard of it.

Pleas do try and keep up.

So it is irrelevant that this was racially motivated? I get where you are coming from, but you can't hide your head in the sand on this either. This incident is proof that black people aren't just "victims." And the problem will NEVER go away unless the left acknowledges this.

But do you understand why the left will NEVER acknowledge this?

2d78a8382a0e24faf99574d92e33755e.jpg

It hurts their voting block. They can't give up the race card. So if you want to talk about dropping the race card, incidents like the above need to be acknowledged. It needs to be seen that black or white...anyone can be racist. And it is ugly.

LBJ: 'I'll Have Those N*****s Voting Democratic for 200 Years' : snopes.com

They're teenagers. They don't need politicians to incite anything, and if they had an excuse, they wouldn't be in jail now. But if we must go down this uninspiring path, you might want to consider why hate groups like the KKK and alt right fervently support Trump. As if the republicans haven't perpetuated racism ever, yeah right

So what they did was ok because the KKK and the "alt right " (whoever the **** those people are)? That's the direction you want to go?

And just because they are teenagers doesn't mean they can't be politically or racially motivated. Why do you think they picked a white kid and said "**** trump?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what they did was ok because the KKK and the "alt right " (whoever the **** those people are)? That's the direction you want to go?

And just because they are teenagers doesn't mean they can't be politically or racially motivated. Why do you think they picked a white kid and said "**** trump?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm saying you can't blame one party without blaming both. It's illogical that one would seek to capitalize on race tensions but not the other

It's a simple fact though that democrats need white votes too, so what you're accusing them of, "coddling" violence like this, is nonsense

The attackers likely said trump because it's something their victim and audience would respond to. If they cited some obscure street preacher who could've just as easily influenced them, how many would care? If they want to blame the white man for their ****ty lives, they can just look outside at the ghetto, probably, so they've been doing it long before trump ran for office. He and their victim are just the most recent and convenient target of their anger

Last edited:
Apparently there was no racial motivation to this crime - Update: Chicago police say race was not a motive behind attack shown on Facebook Live | Regional | stltoday.com

Chicago police don't believe a man beaten in an assault broadcast live on Facebook was targeted because he was white despite profanities made by the accused assailants about white people and President-elect Donald Trump, a police spokesman said Thursday.

It seems that the victim is a classmate of one of the assailants and may have been targeted due to his mental capacity.

And somehow or other that isn't hateful.

Here's my problem with these "hate crime" laws. If you beat someone because of their race it's a "hate crime". If you beat someone because of their sexual orientation it's a "hate crime". But if you beat someone because they're retarded and incapable of defending themselves it's not motivated by hate? **** that! If you're going to use "hate" as an aggravating factor in criminal acts then don't carve out just one or two niches where it applies. Open up "hate" to anything that shows premeditation and target selection based on ANY demographic.

Back
Top Bottom