• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

4 hours of TV a day--not enough!

Is 4 hours a tv really enough viewing time?

• Yes, it's more than enough

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • No, we need more time than 4 hours

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • I watch tv, game and WWW the same time....

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's educational for me, plus I'm finding myself..

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
According to the A.C. Nielsen Co., the average American watches more than 4 hours of TV each day (or 28 hours/week, or 2 months of nonstop TV-watching per year). In a 65-year life, that person will have spent 9 years glued to the tube.

Percentage of households that possess at least one television: 99

I'm not counting the time people are doing text messaging and gaming either, which should have a official holiday by the way in my opinion. Once robots are in place in society we can really find ourselves in technology.

Percentage of Americans who can name The Three Stooges: 59
Percentage who can name at least three justices of the U.S. Supreme Court: 17
Compiled by TV-Free America

Last edited:
beyondtherim55008@yahoo.c said:
According to the A.C. Nielsen Co., the average American watches more than 4 hours of TV each day (or 28 hours/week, or 2 months of nonstop TV-watching per year). In a 65-year life, that person will have spent 9 years glued to the tube.

Percentage of households that possess at least one television: 99

What is your point?

What's wrong with that? It keeps them safely out of the way of people who have more important things to be doing with their time.

Besides, how many hours a day do you spend on these political forums? :smile:

Korimyr the Rat said:
What's wrong with that? It keeps them safely out of the way of people who have more important things to be doing with their time.

Besides, how many hours a day do you spend on these political forums? :smile:

Good point.

Personally I don't watch TV much.

The only show I try to watch is the Simpsons, and I haven't seen that in months. So I guess I fail at being a couch potato.

I do have a 360 though! Good times, still I don't spend 4-6 hours playing games-- my girlfriend would kill me and I don't like to neglect my guitar playing either.

It's a poll, if I wanted to make a point, it wouldn't be in the poll category would it? Vote, don't think to far into it.
:drink

What does behind the rim mean?

It's a poll, if I wanted to make a point, it wouldn't be in the poll category would it? Vote, don't think to far into it.

I hardly ever watch TV, I listen to music or unfroturnately, do laundry, clean, fix dinner, take care of kids and if I'm lucky get on debate politics or watch lifetime TV for women.....Other than that I'm working. I sneak e-mails or debate during work.

Where is the majority of your time spent?????????? I think I'm on to you...

For anyone who doesn't realize just how much destruction TV has done to our society, all they have to do is check out the book, "Four Arguments for the Elimination of Television" by Gerry Meander.

Because of television, we have:
  • Been neutered from our political system.
  • Been dumbed down to where we are one of the most illiterate nations on earth.
  • Made our lives completely filled with distractions.
  • Created the "Neocon"
  • Lost our country to multi-national corporations.
  • Become more arrogant and intolerant of others.
  • Made torture controversial.
  • Feel good about starting wars.
  • No longer felt the need to think for ourselves.
  • Lost our sense of humanity.
Television has only one message and one message only, no matter what you are watching at any time, the message is "Happiness comes from commodities. Buy something, buy something now!"

I only care about one show, and it's back on Sunday night, I'm sure someone can guess, hint, I have waited over 600 hundred days for it's return?:mrgreen:

Originally posted by Deegan:
I only care about one show, and it's back on Sunday night, I'm sure someone can guess, hint, I have waited over 600 hundred days for it's return?
My favorite show was Son of the Beach.
I don't think that is coming back anytime soon.

son20of20the20beach2020volume2.jpg

The world is worse off without Notch Johnson.

Close, but cigar.;)

The Justices of the SCOTUS are not on TV, and are hardly entertaining.
Sandra Day O'Connor( but I think she retired)
Justice Scaleia(the Chief?); probably misspelled his name
one justice(either dead or nearly so ,85 years old)
Justice Roberts (recent)
Justice Thomas
Judge Bork (known for not being approved)
Moe Horwitz(Howard)
Larry Fine(from the beginning to the end -50s)
Shemp Horwitz
Curly(the third brother of four)
Curly Joe(second replacement for Curly)
All from memory

We do watch too much TV, and most is good entertainment,IMO, only History, Discovery are somewhat educational and worthwhile.
Thank God for TCM (no commercials)
PBS is too politically correct, spends too much time begging..
The News is also entertainment, and of little redeeming value..

Billo_Really said:
"Happiness comes from commodities. Buy something, buy something now!"

So true. We didn't know how unhappy we were until some shrill told us that we couldn't live without the latest' Whiz-bang super-douper, new and improved, beyond your wildest dreams, best-ever, space-aged, can't live without it, you've got to have it, never seen before, incredible gluockobe'

Billo_Really said:
My favorite show was Son of the Beach.

I used to be on a BBQ cookoff team called 'The Sunny Beeches'. I know it don't fit, but I always liked that name and I try to use it every chance I get..LOL :lol:

Deegan said:
I only care about one show, and it's back on Sunday night, I'm sure someone can guess, hint, I have waited over 600 hundred days for it's return?:mrgreen:
My Little Pony?...:2wave:

cnredd said:
My Little Pony?...:2wave:

No, but that's actually a clue. Someones little pony was burned alive.

Originally posted by Deegan:
No, but that's actually a clue. Someones little pony was burned alive.
Guess the movie, here's the quote:

"So he went to his Papa and said, 'Papa, may I have a pony?' And his Papa said, 'No Tony, you may not have, a pony'. At the end of the book he gets the pony anyhow!"

I have a few programs that I enjoy watching every week, but about the only days I watch four hours of TV would be Thursdays and Sundays, sometimes Saturdays - Thursdays consist of at least two hours, with Smallville and The O.C., and sometimes we'll watch the news and then The Daily Show and The Colbert Report (though we've just been recording the last two lately), and weekends are spent watching NASCAR.

I watch The Closer on Tuesday nights and the entire Sci-Fi Friday line-up. Other than that, it's the occasional Law & Order or my roommates' cartoons when I have a reason not to be in my bedroom.

Like today, when I'm backing up my important files to CD in preparation to install Ubuntu.

Been neutered from our political system.
Been dumbed down to where we are one of the most illiterate nations on earth.
Made our lives completely filled with distractions.
Created the "Neocon"
Lost our country to multi-national corporations.
Become more arrogant and intolerant of others.
Made torture controversial.
Feel good about starting wars.
No longer felt the need to think for ourselves.
Lost our sense of humanity
how can you argue that it has made us lose a sense of our humanity and made tortue controversial. Surely you need a sense of humanity to see torture as controversial!

Originally posted by Willoughby
how can you argue that it has made us lose a sense of our humanity and made tortue controversial. Surely you need a sense of humanity to see torture as controversial!
Good point!

Back
Top Bottom