• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

3M chief warns Obama over business regulation

Eventually we all must realize........it isnt so much US companies shipping jobs overseas......its US Companies and US Jobs being driven overseas.....at the end of a Democrat whip.

As long as we remain THE MOST BUSINESS UNFRIENDLY COUNTRY IN THE WORLD.......as long as we continue electing Democrats........The Mass Exodus of US companies and the US jobs they provided will continue.

Regardless if you like or dislike Obama.....he is the most economically clueless president this country has ever had......he never ran so much as a lemonade stand and couldnt handle running a candy store.....and yet so many decided to hand him the reigns to the largest economy on the planet.

God Help Us.....

God help us indeed! Western countries need to realise that regulation of industry and finance can only operate with a light hand on the tiller. Less regulation, lighter control, greater freedom for bankers and CEOs to pursue their profit targets... what could possibly go wrong? :roll:

Last edited:
3M head calls Obama 'Robin Hood-esque' - UPI.com

Here is what the 3 M CEO complained about
3M's Chief Executive Officer George Buckley called President Barack Obama "anti-business," warning regulations and taxes would drive companies abroad.

"There is a sense among companies that this is a difficult place to do business. It's about regulation, taxation, seemingly anti-business policies in Washington, attitudes toward science.

"About 68 percent of our science PhD candidates are from outside the United States. Many want to stay here afterward, but they're not allowed as many visas as we would like."

Now

Taxes in the US are lower then they are in Canada, for individuals. Although I believe actually doing your taxes is easier in Canada then the US.

Regulations, I doubt there is much difference in regulations between Canada and the US when it comes to business (excluding some extra labour laws in the US), but it generally easier to unionize in Canada then the US

I think his biggest issue is the Health care bill and the lack of visa's for imported Chinese and Indian scientists. As I doubt the Obama admin is anti science, not being nearly as "faith based" as recent admins.

Now as for moving manufacturing to Canada, as much as I would like 3 M to do so, I strongly doubt that will occur. Our labour costs are high, transportation to the US for the goods is getting hung up at the boarder, and the Can dollar is at a high level right now compared to the USD. If he was threatening this about 8 years ago, I would say it would have made sense to bring the factories to Canada, as our labour costs were lower, and transportation to the US was easier. We had a competitive advantage at that time. Since then we have lost a large number of manufacturing jobs

Last edited:
That's all well and good Maggie, but

....but you would rather ignore the topic entirely

when he says "America is the most business unfriendly country in the world"

You kinda gotta go :roll:

No....its actually the most business friendly.....hurry up and tell 3M before they partake in the mass exodus.

Can you name any Democrat Policy that has encouraged US businesses to remain in this country?

A 100 years of anti-business legislation.....

God help us indeed! Western countries need to realise that regulation of industry and finance can only operate with a light hand on the tiller. Less regulation, lighter control, greater freedom for bankers and CEOs to pursue their profit targets... what could possibly go wrong? :roll:

Nonsense.....we need government controlling every aspect of our economy and society.....regardless if it goes wrong 99% of the time.

Nonsense.....we need government controlling every aspect of our economy and society.....regardless if it goes wrong 99% of the time.
I'm sure all shills for global capitalism will always be in favour of minimal regulation. That's why we are where we are today. When business begins showing that it is aware of its responsabilities to the wider community, to the nation and to the environment, then they may be trusted with a lighter regulatory climate. While the attitude remains that share-holders are the only important constituency, Business must be forced rather than requested to behave responsibly. This state of affairs has occurred because of the irresponsibility of the corporate world and the weak-willed laxness of previous governments.

Eventually we all must realize........it isnt so much US companies shipping jobs overseas......its US Companies and US Jobs being driven overseas.....at the end of a Democrat whip.

As long as we remain THE MOST BUSINESS UNFRIENDLY COUNTRY IN THE WORLD.......as long as we continue electing Democrats........The Mass Exodus of US companies and the US jobs they provided will continue.

Regardless if you like or dislike Obama.....he is the most economically clueless president this country has ever had......he never ran so much as a lemonade stand and couldnt handle running a candy store.....and yet so many decided to hand him the reigns to the largest economy on the planet.

God Help Us.....

Obama is indeed anti-business and the whole system is weighted against it and part if it is the nonsense from the environmentally ill crowd who claim global warming is man made and that is going to cause the price of everything to go out of sight.

God Help Us.....

It's not just that jobs are being driven overseas, it's also small businesses who can't operate under current governmental regulations and have no option to relocate and have to simply close the doors.

STFU the president should ****ing warn you. /endrant

Warn him about what? Since when, in our free country, is it the president's job to be warning businesses about a damn thing?

It's not just that jobs are being driven overseas, it's also small businesses who can't operate under current governmental regulations and have no option to relocate and have to simply close the doors.

Friendly examples to support your argument out of curiosity?

Warn him about what? Since when, in our free country, is it the president's job to be warning businesses about a damn thing?

Oh, businesses should push the president around instead. I got ya. :shrug:

Well we are the number one economy in the world

(Btw I like this vertical 3 dot thing)

Obama's doing everything he can to prevent that. ;)

Oh, businesses should push the president around instead. I got ya. :shrug:

Without tax revenues, the president doesn't have a job.

Friendly examples to support your argument out of curiosity?

Ok, just a couple right off the top of my head:

Obamacare, the drilling ban, finance regulations, tax hikes.

I can go dig up some more, I'm sure.

Ok, just a couple right off the top of my head:

Obamacare, the drilling ban, finance regulations, tax hikes.

I can go dig up some more, I'm sure.

Idk man. Im not sure I want to get involved in all this taxes, healthcare, regulations type stuff that put most the country into political psychosis.

That depends....are you going to prove that the US is somehow BUSINESS FRIENDLY?

The US is the most powerful nation on earth. We have some of the largest and most profitable businesses in the world. I would call that business friendly. It won't stop companies from moving jobs to other countries to take adavantage of cheap labor though.

The US is the most powerful nation on earth. We have some of the largest and most profitable businesses in the world. I would call that business friendly. It won't stop companies from moving jobs to other countries to take adavantage of cheap labor though.

BINGO!

And the fact that your average American child has to go to school rather then work for half a cent an hour in a sweat shop is somehow "Obamas fault".

Lack of regulation is the direct cause of the implosion of the financial sector from which we and our children's children will be suffering for a lifetime.

Lack of regulation is the direct cause of the implosion of the financial sector from which we and our children's children will be suffering for a lifetime.

Government regulation costs businesses money. While I agree with common sense regulation, regulation for the sake of regulation isn't the answer.

The implosion of the financial sector was caused by government pressure on loan companies to make risky loans.

Last edited:
The implosion of the financial sector was caused by government pressure on loan companies to make risky loans.

That is just not true. Loan companies made risky loans to make big profits. The government never forced anyone to make loans.

chart-020510-update.gif

Government regulation costs businesses money. While I agree with common sense regulation, regulation for the sake of regulation isn't the answer.

i wish people would stop parroting that falsehood. jesus.

How is it false? The government dropped Glass-Steigal, then forced banks to conform to the new regulations.

BTW, I'm not Jesus; just a regular guy. I understand how you could get confused.

It ain't gonna happen. They need those lies to rewrite history and if they say the lies long enough some people will start to believe them..

Back
Top Bottom