• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

.357 vs .38 LCR for pocket carry?

Skeptic Bob

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
Need some input, guys. I plan to start concealed carrying in the near future. I used to do it in my overseas gigs but I lived in DC upon returning and the laws there were just too cumbersome. Now I am heading back to Texas and all the states I will be traveling to for work recognize the Texas CHL. I used a Sig in the military but to be honest I MUCH prefer revolvers for plain ol' civilian self defense. I'm not a hobbyist. I don't want numerous guns. I shoot well but I don't exactly enjoy it. A gun a tool for me. A form of insurance. So like to keep things simple.

I usually wear loose fitting jeans or khakis or cargo shorts. When wearing khakis I usually wear my shirt tucked in. I would like to pocket carry most of the time and when that isn't practical I will probably use a belly band holster.

I have pretty much settled on getting a Ruger LCR with laser grip. What I haven't decided on is whether or not to go with the .38 or .357. I don't have experience with handgun ammo more powerful than .38+P or 9mm. I am wondering if the extra kick is worth it. Obviously with a proper stance and grip it shouldn't matter but I know from personal experience that sometimes real life scenarios may not allow for that. You might end up having to one-hand it. For reference, I am 5'11 and 200 lbs.

And since I would like to pocket carry I am wondering if the .357s additional 4 ounces would make any difference in comfort and concealment.

Need some input, guys. I plan to start concealed carrying in the near future. I used to do it in my overseas gigs but I lived in DC upon returning and the laws there were just too cumbersome. Now I am heading back to Texas and all the states I will be traveling to for work recognize the Texas CHL. I used a Sig in the military but to be honest I MUCH prefer revolvers for plain ol' civilian self defense. I'm not a hobbyist. I don't want numerous guns. I shoot well but I don't exactly enjoy it. A gun a tool for me. A form of insurance. So like to keep things simple.

I usually wear loose fitting jeans or khakis or cargo shorts. When wearing khakis I usually wear my shirt tucked in. I would like to pocket carry most of the time and when that isn't practical I will probably use a belly band holster.

I have pretty much settled on getting a Ruger LCR with laser grip. What I haven't decided on is whether or not to go with the .38 or .357. I don't have experience with handgun ammo more powerful than .38+P or 9mm. I am wondering if the extra kick is worth it. Obviously with a proper stance and grip it shouldn't matter but I know from personal experience that sometimes real life scenarios may not allow for that. You might end up having to one-hand it. For reference, I am 5'11 and 200 lbs.

And since I would like to pocket carry I am wondering if the .357s additional 4 ounces would make any difference in comfort and concealment.

If you switched back and forth between the .357 and the .38 you'd notice the 4oz but if you're carrying every day it won't make a difference. Same goes for the loads. You'll just get used to whatever you're carrying. If you get the .357 you should be able to carry and shoot .38 no problem but the opposite generally doesn't apply so for the versatility factor alone I'd go with the .357.

In a snub nose, magnum loads are a waste of powder.

Every ounce counts in concealment. 4 oz is a quarter-pound. A quarter pound counts.

JMO from many years of doing.

Last edited:
I switch from carrying a Taurus 85 and 38 special, to a Taurus 605 in 357

While the base weight of both guns is higher than the Ruger LCR, the disparity between the two is the same about 4 ounces.

It doesn't make that much of a difference in carrying, and the heavier weight of the 357 allows 38 rounds to be shot easier out of it

So I would vote 357 but loaded with a decent 38 self defense cartridge

Rent a few handguns from your local gun range. That should help you decide. Buy and carry what you like and what you will enjoy shooting at the range. My experience is that one size does not fit all. I have summer and less than (Arizona) summer preferences.

The S&W Bodyguard (.38+P) is a very good CCW wheel gun. I have one. It's damned easy as a CCW, even in the sweltering summers in Arizona. No matter what I plan to shoot at the range I always take the S&W Bodyguard...because one day I hope I might actually like it. So far, I don't. It's OK, but everything else being equal I prefer carrying something else (usually a semi-auto). That's just me and my choices.

As you probably know the best gun is the one you trust and enjoy.

If you switched back and forth between the .357 and the .38 you'd notice the 4oz but if you're carrying every day it won't make a difference. Same goes for the loads. You'll just get used to whatever you're carrying. If you get the .357 you should be able to carry and shoot .38 no problem but the opposite generally doesn't apply so for the versatility factor alone I'd go with the .357.

I routinely shoot .38 loads in my Python. Handles them with no problem and saves a little money.

For self defense I'd go with the .357 without question. It kicks more to be sure but you can easily acclimate to it with a little practice.

.357 for carry?

Cannons all out of stock?

But it before May 18th...

Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. has pledged to donate $2 for each new Ruger® firearm sold between the 2015 and 2016 NRA Annual Meetings, with the goal of giving $4,000,000.

Every ounce counts in concealment. 4 oz is a quarter-pound. A quarter pound counts.

exactly-this is correct modern 38 special loads are just as effective

Hornady critical defense 110 Grain FTX loads are what I carry in my SW J frame revolver

Interesting point on the waste of powder. Your post made me do some additional research and it seems you are right. While coming out of a 4 inch or longer barrel the difference in power is significant, the difference is only moderate with a snub nose. Apparently a good amount of the .357 powder is still burning off by the time the bullet leaves the barrel. So it literally is wasted powder. Also with a small revolver requiring the target after the recoil takes a bit longer with the .357. Some shooters also say they have to reposition their grip on the handle after each shot with a .357 load with a small revolver.

Interesting stuff.

Have you shot the Ruger LCP? I have one and its not the easiest weapon to shoot accurately. Granted...I have large hands but manipulating the laser and pulling the triggerfor me tends to require a lot of practice to not shoot left. I like the gun...but Ive stopped carrying it in favor of a Glock 27.

Most .357's will also shoot 38's, if you want the best of both worlds buy a .357. There are lots of good choices for a carry .357 I would recommend a Ruger SP-101.

Most .357's will also shoot 38's, if you want the best of both worlds buy a .357. There are lots of good choices for a carry .357 I would recommend a Ruger SP-101.

other than semi autos (like the Coonan), 357s will all shoot 38s-especially revolvers.

The disadvantage in buying a 357 to shoot 38s out of is you are gaining some weight

which if you have an ankle holster is a PITA

other than semi autos (like the Coonan), 357s will all shoot 38s-especially revolvers.

The disadvantage in buying a 357 to shoot 38s out of is you are gaining some weight

which if you have an ankle holster is a PITA
I agree, except that I would not carry using an ankle holster, ever try to run wearing one, convinced me and I had an LCP there. Heck I am no a big fan of revolvers for carry anyway, while good dependable guns they are simply too slow to reload for my tastes. We only use the couple we have in an open carry situation otherwise it is will always be an auto.

I agree, except that I would not carry using an ankle holster, ever try to run wearing one, convinced me and I had an LCP there. Heck I am no a big fan of revolvers for carry anyway, while good dependable guns they are simply too slow to reload for my tastes. We only use the couple we have in an open carry situation otherwise it is will always be an auto.

well I spent a lot of years shooting PPC and loading a revolver is pretty much second nature to me but you are right-its easier to reload a magazine fed pistol then a wheel gun with speed loaders

I have trouble getting into laser sights. I can't see them if I raise the weapon to eye level, and I don't like breaking my alignment just to see the damn laser dot.

I have trouble getting into laser sights. I can't see them if I raise the weapon to eye level, and I don't like breaking my alignment just to see the damn laser dot.

laser sights have one important use. Prison hostage situations. TO demonstrate to a prisoner holding a hostage that you can zap him. that is where those things are valuable

walking around in a hot zone where you adversaries are armed with a laser on your gun is a good way to get zapped because it may alert the hostiles where you are. I have a laser on one weapon. Its a sig AR 15 "Pistol" you know one of those things that has the hand brace that really makes the weapon an SBR. the best way to shoot those things under stress is not with the brace around your dominant hand/forearm but with the brace tucked under your armpit. with a laser its easy to get 10 ring level accuracy on a B-27 standard police training target out to 50 yards really quickly with a good laser

Don't worry about concealing your firearm in Texas. We know have open carry. That's why I went from carrying a Glock 19 to a Glock 17 in a belt holster. If it prints or shows, who cares?

Μολὼν λαβέ;1065760406 said:
Don't worry about concealing your firearm in Texas. We know have open carry. That's why I went from carrying a Glock 19 to a Glock 17 in a belt holster. If it prints or shows, who cares?

That is true, but I personally like to keep the element of surprise. The only time i open carry is when I am camping or hiking somewhere I might need to protect myself from non-human predators.

laser sights have one important use. Prison hostage situations. TO demonstrate to a prisoner holding a hostage that you can zap him. that is where those things are valuable

walking around in a hot zone where you adversaries are armed with a laser on your gun is a good way to get zapped because it may alert the hostiles where you are. I have a laser on one weapon. Its a sig AR 15 "Pistol" you know one of those things that has the hand brace that really makes the weapon an SBR. the best way to shoot those things under stress is not with the brace around your dominant hand/forearm but with the brace tucked under your armpit. with a laser its easy to get 10 ring level accuracy on a B-27 standard police training target out to 50 yards really quickly with a good laser

I also like having the laser in case I have to shoot from an unusual position in which I am not used to practicing from. The gunshop will have my gun in by this weekend. Apparently the laser is green instead of red, which I wasn't expecting.

Agree. My focus is generally on the front sight and I don't want to get into the habit of focusing more on the target instead of the sight. I also don't want to get used to relying on something that uses batteries that may or may not be working when I need them to.

Personally? I would go with what REALLY fits you. And a +p .38 shoots out of a .357 if I'm not mistaken. So keep that in mind.

Personally? I would go with what REALLY fits you. And a +p .38 shoots out of a .357 if I'm not mistaken. So keep that in mind.

a quote attributed to Wyatt Earp was

"speed is nice but accuracy is fatal".

the turtle corollary is this

hot loads are effective but not nearly as effective as well placed loads

and the second corollary

hot loads are harder to place accurately

Back
Top Bottom