• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

.357 vs .38 LCR for pocket carry?

a quote attributed to Wyatt Earp was

"speed is nice but accuracy is fatal".

the turtle corollary is this

hot loads are effective but not nearly as effective as well placed loads

and the second corollary

hot loads are harder to place accurately
Bingo. Taught that lesson to my niece and her boyfriend when shooting one day. Had a bunch of targets put out, can you say pumpkins and full liter bottles, plus steel targets, and they wanted to shoot one of the AR's rapid fire thinking they would tear everything up, so they both went through a 30 round mag each shooting away and not hitting much of anything. I had them slow down and put the sights on target before firing for the next mag each, both made multiple hits and in not much more time than their spray and pray antics. They both learned a valuable lesson and discovered why Soldiers and LEO's rarely used full auto and when we did it was using three shot groups or on the rare occasion laying down suppressing fire or clearing a room. Rapid fire has it's selective uses but the preferred tried and true method is to put sights on target and maintaining proper shooting practices. Some things are best learned first hand, the lesson sticks with people far longer.

Agree. My focus is generally on the front sight and I don't want to get into the habit of focusing more on the target instead of the sight. I also don't want to get used to relying on something that uses batteries that may or may not be working when I need them to.

as a GM level shooter-this is absolute truth

Agree. My focus is generally on the front sight and I don't want to get into the habit of focusing more on the target instead of the sight. I also don't want to get used to relying on something that uses batteries that may or may not be working when I need them to.

Smart move, I rarely will use a scope or sighting systems, mainly because I learned to shoot without them and yes batteries can and do fail, best to learn to shoot naturally.

Need some input, guys. I plan to start concealed carrying in the near future. I used to do it in my overseas gigs but I lived in DC upon returning and the laws there were just too cumbersome. Now I am heading back to Texas and all the states I will be traveling to for work recognize the Texas CHL. I used a Sig in the military but to be honest I MUCH prefer revolvers for plain ol' civilian self defense. I'm not a hobbyist. I don't want numerous guns. I shoot well but I don't exactly enjoy it. A gun a tool for me. A form of insurance. So like to keep things simple.

I usually wear loose fitting jeans or khakis or cargo shorts. When wearing khakis I usually wear my shirt tucked in. I would like to pocket carry most of the time and when that isn't practical I will probably use a belly band holster.

I have pretty much settled on getting a Ruger LCR with laser grip. What I haven't decided on is whether or not to go with the .38 or .357. I don't have experience with handgun ammo more powerful than .38+P or 9mm. I am wondering if the extra kick is worth it. Obviously with a proper stance and grip it shouldn't matter but I know from personal experience that sometimes real life scenarios may not allow for that. You might end up having to one-hand it. For reference, I am 5'11 and 200 lbs.

And since I would like to pocket carry I am wondering if the .357s additional 4 ounces would make any difference in comfort and concealment.

If you are worried about weight. Small low weight guns can have brutal recoil maybe go to a range and hire and test first.

S&W Model 340PD
SKU #: 163062
Caliber: .357 Magnum®
.38 S&W Special +P
Capacity: 5 Rounds
Barrel Length: 1.875" / 4.7 cm
Material: Scandium Alloy Frame
/Titanium Alloy Cylinder
Weight Empty: 11.4 oz / 323.2 g

$1,019.00 SRP

That is true, but I personally like to keep the element of surprise. The only time i open carry is when I am camping or hiking somewhere I might need to protect myself from non-human predators.

So do I but since the open carry law was passed I can carry a larger firearm with greater capacity without having to think about accidentally showing it. Now I don't have to be concerned with having to possibly explain to a LEO or SWAT team why my gun was exposed to someone who is afraid of them and called 911.

And BTW I never open carry.

Μολὼν λαβέ;1065766959 said:
So do I but since the open carry law was passed I can carry a larger firearm with greater capacity without having to think about accidentally showing it. Now I don't have to be concerned with having to possibly explain to a LEO or SWAT team why my gun was exposed to someone who is afraid of them and called 911.

Interesting. I've been carrying for years out here and have never gone to great lengths to insure I don't print. I can count on one hand the number of times (that I know about) someone has spotted me. The last time was in Costco and we ended up having a conversation about holsters. I have heard exactly one time someone whisper to her husband "he's got a gun". I should mention, I'm not carrying anything really designed for concealing either. My daily carry is a 1911, Commander length.

Μολὼν λαβέ;1065766959 said:

Good point.

Interesting. I've been carrying for years out here and have never gone to great lengths to insure I don't print. I can count on one hand the number of times (that I know about) someone has spotted me. The last time was in Costco and we ended up having a conversation about holsters. I have heard exactly one time someone whisper to her husband "he's got a gun". I should mention, I'm not carrying anything really designed for concealing either. My daily carry is a 1911, Commander length.

Then I presume you belt or IWB carry? What do you do when nature calls and you have to drop your pants in a public restroom? The gun goes to the floor with your pants and its exposed to someone in the next stall for example.

I saw a thread about this in a gun forum once. It was pretty interesting to see what people do when this happens.

Μολὼν λαβέ;1065767045 said:
Then I presume you belt or IWB carry? What do you do when nature calls and you have to drop your pants in a public restroom? The gun goes to the floor with your pants and its exposed to someone in the next stall for example.

I saw a thread about this in a gun forum once. It was pretty interesting to see what people do when this happens.

LOL!!!

I actually brought this up to Maggie when she was starting to talk about CCW. It is an issue but if you're careful nobody will ever know. I know some people who pull their holster off and put it on the tank or TP holder but that opens up the possibility of forgetting it so I just leave it attached and try to make sure the grip flips to the inside where nobody next door can see it.

Need some input, guys. I plan to start concealed carrying in the near future. I used to do it in my overseas gigs but I lived in DC upon returning and the laws there were just too cumbersome. Now I am heading back to Texas and all the states I will be traveling to for work recognize the Texas CHL. I used a Sig in the military but to be honest I MUCH prefer revolvers for plain ol' civilian self defense. I'm not a hobbyist. I don't want numerous guns. I shoot well but I don't exactly enjoy it. A gun a tool for me. A form of insurance. So like to keep things simple.

I usually wear loose fitting jeans or khakis or cargo shorts. When wearing khakis I usually wear my shirt tucked in. I would like to pocket carry most of the time and when that isn't practical I will probably use a belly band holster.

I have pretty much settled on getting a Ruger LCR with laser grip. What I haven't decided on is whether or not to go with the .38 or .357. I don't have experience with handgun ammo more powerful than .38+P or 9mm. I am wondering if the extra kick is worth it. Obviously with a proper stance and grip it shouldn't matter but I know from personal experience that sometimes real life scenarios may not allow for that. You might end up having to one-hand it. For reference, I am 5'11 and 200 lbs.

And since I would like to pocket carry I am wondering if the .357s additional 4 ounces would make any difference in comfort and concealment.

.357 has better knockout power, .38 has better recoil allowing cleaner follow up shots. I personally like the .38, it has been in use over a century and was originally a blackpowder round, then shortly later made into smokeless rounds and frames due to it's popularity.

The .357 definately has more kick, but it is manageable, it is not like a 44 mag in terms of recoil. The .38 is closer to 9mm, but you said you have fird .38 before so you should know. My advice is to find a gunshop that has a range and allows you to try them out, see which fits you better.

.357 has better knockout power, .38 has better recoil allowing cleaner follow up shots. I personally like the .38, it has been in use over a century and was originally a blackpowder round, then shortly later made into smokeless rounds and frames due to it's popularity.

The .357 definately has more kick, but it is manageable, it is not like a 44 mag in terms of recoil. The .38 is closer to 9mm, but you said you have fird .38 before so you should know. My advice is to find a gunshop that has a range and allows you to try them out, see which fits you better.

recommending someone try out various weapons before buying is always very good advice

LOL!!!

I actually brought this up to Maggie when she was starting to talk about CCW. It is an issue but if you're careful nobody will ever know. I know some people who pull their holster off and put it on the tank or TP holder but that opens up the possibility of forgetting it so I just leave it attached and try to make sure the grip flips to the inside where nobody next door can see it.

I'll keep your recommendation in mind when I find myself in this compromising position again. :thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom