• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

35 countries where the U.S. has supported fascists, drug lords and terrorists

But the article dives into the history that we like to glance over in history class... The US has a long history of supporting narco-states, fascists, other brutal dictators, and terrorist states (could be argued that the USA might be one itself). Usually this was done in the name of "anti-communism" but now its done in the name of "fighting the war on terror" and "spreading liberty and democracy".

:lamo

First off, the whole point of this thread was an attempt to say "the US is the bad guy, the USSR was the good guy". Has the US done ****ty things? Yes, but find a country which hasn't. Especially compared to the USSR the United States has been far morally superior.

Just to give you one example, while we were rebuilding Western Europe with the Marshall Plan the Soviets were stealing everything that wasn't nailed down and shipping it eastwards. They also rejected Marshall Plan aid in favor of "shoot anyone who complains about starving in the face, then they won't starve".

It has been established for decades that elements of the federal government are a criminal organization, especially CIA, DEA and others. Now comes the War On Terror, and they are diggin' it.

That's a funny joke good one.

:roll:

Reopened Chinese relations hoping they would commit genocide?

Citation?

I'm sure he had a few more reasons, but the Bangladeshi genocide was the beginning, it occurred almost a full year before nixons famous visit in '72 that "officially" opened relations between the US and china

“The CIA plan” involves supporting Pakistan against India, because India’s friendship with the Soviet Union “makes Nixon ****, lying awake in bed and thinking about it. His house is white, but his pyjamas become brown every night.”

Little did such Indians know that their wildest suppositions were indeed being ratified by Nixon, himself a gifted conspiracy theorist, who wholly reciprocated Indian antipathy. The White House tapes, the recordings that Nixon made of his conversations in office, have long been recognized as a marvel of verbal incontinence. But it is still startling to hear Nixon musing that what “the Indians,” then lucklessly hosting millions of refugees, “need—what they really need—is . . . a mass famine.” Kissinger loyally chimes in: “They’re such bastards.”

The explanation for Nixon’s bizarre apportionment of blame lies in a complicated network of regional loyalties. Pakistan was a trusted American ally, to be protected against any threats from India and the Soviet Union, two countries that were on the verge of signing a “friendship treaty.” Nixon and Kissinger tried to persuade China, which they were hoping to befriend, to open up a front against India, its enemy since the Sino-Indian War of 1962.
Unholy Alliances - The New Yorker

heres a few extra

nixontapes.org - Nixon Tapes and Transcripts
How Nixon Began Relations With China: By Ignoring Bangladesh's Genocide
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1971_Bangladesh_genocide
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/30/opinion/nixon-and-kissingers-forgotten-shame.html?_r=0

That's a funny joke good one.

:roll:

For those of us living back during the days of Iran Contra and other scandals, it's not really a joke, just a statement of fact. For those familiar with the story of Gary Webb and what he discovered, it's just a statement of fact. For those of us participating in the Great Police Action In Southeast Asia, it's just a statement of facts, facts likely not known by younger generations.

For those of us living back during the days of Iran Contra and other scandals, it's not really a joke, just a statement of fact. For those familiar with the story of Gary Webb and what he discovered, it's just a statement of fact. For those of us participating in the Great Police Action In Southeast Asia, it's just a statement of facts, facts likely not known by younger generations.

Uh huh. The poor Viet Cong. All they wanted to do was force everybody to adopt communism. Who cares what the people in Saigon wanted? Commuism was the future, right?

But then the evul US showed up and they had to fight a conventional war to force their neighbors into commuism. How horrible.

The real tragedy is that we abandoned South Vietnam, not that we were there in the first place

I'm sure he had a few more reasons, but the Bangladeshi genocide was the beginning, it occurred almost a full year before nixons famous visit in '72 that "officially" opened relations between the US and china

heres a few extra

nixontapes.org - Nixon Tapes and Transcripts
How Nixon Began Relations With China: By Ignoring Bangladesh's Genocide
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1971_Bangladesh_genocide
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/30/opinion/nixon-and-kissingers-forgotten-shame.html?_r=0

None of that has to do with the Bangladesh Genocide....

Your claim:

iirc nixon called indira ghandi an "old bitch" and re-opened relations with china hoping they would help commit the genocide??

Please try again...

Support or retract.

then your first post shouldve been something along the lines of "hey interesting fact! the bombs that hit the ground were actually second hand soviet made missiles, they only used the american weapons to shoot helicopters out of the sky......"

but since it wasn't im assuming this is some anti-communist rant, feel free to continue without me
In other words you got caught making crap up and now want to pretend it's all some anti communist crap. Are you always this dishonest.

It has been established for decades that elements of the federal government are a criminal organization, especially CIA, DEA and others. Now comes the War On Terror, and they are diggin' it.

Established only to Conspiracy theory nut jobs. Then yeah sure you are correct.

None of that has to do with the Bangladesh Genocide....

Your claim:

Please try again...

Support or retract.
Don't hold your breath. This isn't even the first time in this thread he has been caught making crap up so don't expect much in the way of honesty from him.

:lamo

First off, the whole point of this thread was an attempt to say "the US is the bad guy, the USSR was the good guy".
It was? I didnt get that from the article nor did I get it from the comments in the OP.

Has the US done ****ty things? Yes, but find a country which hasn't. Especially compared to the USSR the United States has been far morally superior.
So we should dismiss the ****ty things we have done because the USSR according to you was "worse"?

Just to give you one example, while we were rebuilding Western Europe with the Marshall Plan the Soviets were stealing everything that wasn't nailed down and shipping it eastwards. They also rejected Marshall Plan aid in favor of "shoot anyone who complains about starving in the face, then they won't starve".
And we essentially did something very similar to that with our banana republics.

From the article....

Nixon had no doubt that publicly taking sides in East Pakistan would be, as he told Kissinger, “a hell of a mistake.” Kissinger, too, while concluding that the U.S. should not condemn the crackdown in East Pakistan, made it privately clear to Yahya Khan that Pakistan couldn’t expect American assistance while the slaughter continued. Such a course of public restraint and private pressure—echoed today in President Obama’s studied refusal to call the Egyptian coup a coup—offered, he felt, “the best chance of conserving our limited ability to influence” events.

Kissinger and Nixon were quick to accept the fait accompli of an independent Bangladesh, and the ensuing ouster of Yahya Khan by Bhutto, whom they detested. And Nixon could cease fretting about South Asia, when, just two months after Pakistan’s defeat, he made his momentous visit to China, then inaugurated détente with the Soviet Union, and, in November, disingenuously claiming to be nearing peace with honor in Vietnam, won a landslide reëlection. As Kissinger told Zhou Enlai, “the future of our relationship with Peking is infinitely more important for the future of Asia than what happens in Phnom Penh, in Hanoi or in Saigon”—or, he could have added, in Dhaka.

It was? I didnt get that from the article nor did I get it from the comments in the OP.

So we should dismiss the ****ty things we have done because the USSR according to you was "worse"?

And we essentially did something very similar to that with our banana republics.

Let's see..... Gulags, more war crimes than you could shake it, vanishing people, building walls to keep people in.....

The USSR was, all around, terrible. That's a fact.

The OP is a communist, which is where this "the US sucks" thing is coming from. After all, the US won the Cold War.

If you notice, there's been no mention of any of the many, many, many ****ty things the USSR did. It's totally one sided.

Let's see..... Gulags, more war crimes than you could shake it, vanishing people, building walls to keep people in.....

The USSR was, all around, terrible. That's a fact.

The OP is a communist, which is where this "the US sucks" thing is coming from. After all, the US won the Cold War.

If you notice, there's been no mention of any of the many, many, many ****ty things the USSR did. It's totally one sided.

Then whats the problem with speaking out against this part of our history?

Because them fact of the matter is, despite all of this, our way of life has always been morally superior to the alternatives

Because them fact of the matter is, despite all of this, our way of life has always been morally superior to the alternatives

So since we have a high standard of living and we are "morally superior" that excuses the evil **** we have done and supported?

Established only to Conspiracy theory nut jobs. Then yeah sure you are correct.

Are you denying what happened with Iran-Contra? Are you claiming that actually they were not smuggling cocaine and arms for the benefit of the Contras? Or is you amnesia selective?

Are you denying the CIA's own report regarding what Gary Webb found regarding CIA cocaine smuggling during those days, or is your amnesia just a bit selective?

From the article....

Nixon had no doubt that publicly taking sides in East Pakistan would be, as he told Kissinger, “a hell of a mistake.” Kissinger, too, while concluding that the U.S. should not condemn the crackdown in East Pakistan, made it privately clear to Yahya Khan that Pakistan couldn’t expect American assistance while the slaughter continued. Such a course of public restraint and private pressure—echoed today in President Obama’s studied refusal to call the Egyptian coup a coup—offered, he felt, “the best chance of conserving our limited ability to influence” events.

Kissinger and Nixon were quick to accept the fait accompli of an independent Bangladesh, and the ensuing ouster of Yahya Khan by Bhutto, whom they detested. And Nixon could cease fretting about South Asia, when, just two months after Pakistan’s defeat, he made his momentous visit to China, then inaugurated détente with the Soviet Union, and, in November, disingenuously claiming to be nearing peace with honor in Vietnam, won a landslide reëlection. As Kissinger told Zhou Enlai, “the future of our relationship with Peking is infinitely more important for the future of Asia than what happens in Phnom Penh, in Hanoi or in Saigon”—or, he could have added, in Dhaka.

so what?

Are you denying what happened with Iran-Contra? Are you claiming that actually they were not smuggling cocaine and arms for the benefit of the Contras? Or is you amnesia selective?

Are you denying the CIA's own report regarding what Gary Webb found regarding CIA cocaine smuggling during those days, or is your amnesia just a bit selective?

It seems you are the one denying what happened with Iran Contra. There was no smuggling of cocaine by the CIA and the weapons were used to try and free Americans as well as support anti communist fighters. I know that as a huge Russia fan you would be against that but most rational people wouldn't.

You mean the Gary Webb who had to resign from the magazine he worked for after that same magazine had to release a statement admitting that Gary's story's were rather lacking in facts. As usual it seems you are the one in denial of reality.

The fact of the matter is the world is not all nice and black and white. To get things done sometimes you have to work with people who are crappy people and sometimes even look the other way when they do some crappy things. I wish it wasn't that way but unfortunately that is not the world we live in. Anybody who has ever tried to get things done in certain parts of the world or those that have worked in law enforcement and those with the ability to understand reality know this. Unfortunately that leaves you out.

It seems you are the one denying what happened with Iran Contra. There was no smuggling of cocaine by the CIA and the weapons were used to try and free Americans as well as support anti communist fighters. I know that as a huge Russia fan you would be against that but most rational people wouldn't.

You mean the Gary Webb who had to resign from the magazine he worked for after that same magazine had to release a statement admitting that Gary's story's were rather lacking in facts. As usual it seems you are the one in denial of reality.

The fact of the matter is the world is not all nice and black and white. To get things done sometimes you have to work with people who are crappy people and sometimes even look the other way when they do some crappy things. I wish it wasn't that way but unfortunately that is not the world we live in. Anybody who has ever tried to get things done in certain parts of the world or those that have worked in law enforcement and those with the ability to understand reality know this. Unfortunately that leaves you out.

Regarding the details of cocaine and arms smuggling in Iran-Contra, the difference between you and me Drained, is that I knew a minor player in the scam. His name was George Morales, and he is dead now. He eventually testified before Congress about his dealings in that regard.

So your silly damn claim above is like most of your other nonsensical posts here--complete bull****.

And many years before I ever met George and heard his story, I was well aware that the Agency was in the dope business.

Your naivete is amusing and juvenile, but life goes on.

Regarding the details of cocaine and arms smuggling in Iran-Contra, the difference between you and me Drained, is that I knew a minor player in the scam. His name was George Morales, and he is dead now. He eventually testified before Congress about his dealings in that regard.

So your silly damn claim above is like most of your other nonsensical posts here--complete bull****.

And many years before I ever met George and heard his story, I was well aware that the Agency was in the dope business.

Oh I see, some more of your famous a guy you talked to at a bar or story your read but don't remember where nonsense. Sorry but I will stick to the facts.

And I know you think you knew something about the CIA running dope just like you think you know that there were nukes at the twin towers or you think you know that Sandy Hook was fake as well as all the other whack job CTs you believe in. Unfortunately for you the facts all disagree with you. What's sad is you have been shown to be wrong on this and so many other topics but like a true believer you simply close your eyes and go right on believing in fairytales.

I honestly feel sorry for you. It must be tough living with such delusions all the time. Tell me have you ever considered seeking medical help. You should think about it.

it is interesting that even after these things get declassified people still use debunked state department denials from 20-30 years ago

In one of the most controversial efforts to enlist third country support for the Contra war, Oliver North arranged to meet Panamanian dictator Manuel Noriega in a London hotel in September 1986. In return for ending U.S. pressure on Panama for Noriega's drug smuggling operations and helping to "clean up" his image, Noriega proposed to engage in efforts to assassinate the Sandinista leadership. With authorization from National Security Advisor John Poindexter, North met with Noriega in a London hotel on September 22 and discussed how Panama could help with sophisticated sabotage operations against Nicaraguan targets, including the airport, oil refinery and port facilities. According to notes taken by North at the meeting, they also discussed setting up training camps in Panama for Contra operatives.
The Iran-Contra Affair 20 Years On

Reopened Chinese relations hoping they would commit genocide?

Citation?

I have learned to never expect a citation. That there will be none (other then more opiniones), and then a spin off to another direction laying out another whopper that hopefully covers up for the first one.

After 3 or 4 tries in trying to pin down any claims, I simply gave up. The entire purpose of this thread is vomiting up endless complaints against the US being behind every evil thing in the last 200 years, and has nothing to do with history at all.

Although in a great many of our "left leaning" colleges, it would probably pass off as a scholarly work as part of a liberal arts degree, like a BA in Socially Advanced Census Taking. Or maybe even as part of the History requirement for a Teaching Degree. But as a true scholarly work, it is a load of coprolite.

And notice the original posting was not even "original", simply lifted from another source. And the OP absolutely accepts all of them 100% verbatim. I may for example enjoy and worship the writings of other famous philosophers in the past, like Joshua bar Joseph, Karl Marx, and Ron Paul. But only a brainless idiot would accept 100% of everything they say without any kind of internal reservation.

Back
Top Bottom