• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

34% of remote workers say they’d rather quit than return to full-time office work

Slartibartfast

Jesus loves you.
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Yeah, it's going to be hard returning to the commute.

That's like an extra hour a day.

And then there's all the stuff I can do around the house.

yes a lot of time is wasted driving to and fro, lunch break, smoke breaks, chit chat with office staff, parking etc etc etc ....

I wonder how many of that 34% are full of shit. I am willing to bet the majority of them will show back up to work when told to. It's easy to be a bad ass and talk smack on the computer, but I doubt many are willing to put their families at financial risk over a temper tantrum about having to return to the office if asked

I know it would take quite a decent salary to get me to agree to report to an office full time again at any future gig.
I’d be interested to see the true count of those willing to walk the walk if their employer actually did give an ultimatum.

i have been back onsite since early April of 2020. that being said, i do like the days that i get to work from home. the culture around that has changed a lot. when we don't absolutely need to be onsite, we aren't. i generally get at least a day working from home every week; sometimes more.

I would think not maintaining an office that fits all staff would be a fiscal relief for owners and such.

I've been working at home for about 7-8 years. No desire to be in an office ever again.

I know it would take quite a decent salary to get me to agree to report to an office full time again at any future gig.

Unfortunately, unlike my wife, working from home is not workable for me. But I think the home office shall become a standard fixture of the modern single-family residence for years to come.

I would think not maintaining an office that fits all staff would be a fiscal relief for owners and such.

True, but on the other hand many remote workers are very unproductive when allowed all the "distractions" of being home and not at work. It may work for some people, but no for all.

My wife has had to fire two subordinates during covid who have failed to perform, and who have basically lied about their "time card" which has been on the honor system.

I won't what percentage of kids decide to drop out rather than returning to school? Anyone know the stats on how many haven't?

I won't what percentage of kids decide to drop out rather than returning to school? Anyone know the stats on how many haven't?
No clue on that, but NPR had a segment on today about how the absence rate has skyrocketed with at home learning. They qualified it by a student not being logged in for the required amount of time scheduled would be considered absent. In some cases they had districts reporting as many absences as attendees on any given day and the same type of attendance record would require disciplinary and possible legal actions if this was in person.

I can see how my attendance record would be horrible. Once I got done with all my assignments for the day I would probably log out from boredom

The school disruptions are the most serious. Being thrown into remote learning the way we were a year ago was a migraine for teachers, but it's the students who have really suffered. I would predict at least half have pretty much missed a year of learning. At least, those that are still remote. It's a terrible shame, but it's not at all surprising the absentee rate.

I predict adult ed is going to be very busy for the next ten years helping people get a GED.

Actually, this is why my husband's position is likely to never have to go back to working from an office (eventhough he has said he would prefer to have at least somewhere to go to). They gave up their office here last summer (they had just opened in a WeWork building in downtown). It wasn't really big enough for everyone to begin with, but after this, they figured there was no way they could get it to meet their needs and all their employees out of that office are IT, programmers, or executives, all being people who can work remote.

Kinda like many parents learned they can Home school after all?
Considering the schools are now making Virtual Academy more available to parents/students, and many parents are deciding to take advantage of that, even for next school year, yes.

Considering the schools are now making Virtual Academy more available to parents/students, and many parents are deciding to take advantage of that, even for next school year, yes.

And will continue this when the pandemic ends?

And will continue this when the pandemic ends?
Since many are signing up for next school year, yes, they are continuing it when the pandemic ends. Our kids are back in school now, full time as of next week for our middle schooler, when spring break ends.

Back
Top Bottom