• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

307 shootings in 311 days

Dittohead not!

master political analyst
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I wasn't sure where to put this thread. I didn't want it in the gun control section, as that issue has been beaten to death already, and the mass shootings we're experiencing go a lot deeper than guns per se.

[h=1]Thousand Oaks makes 307 mass shootings in 311 days[/h]
When the thunder of gunfire broke through the revelry of a country music dance hall packed with young people kicking back on "college night," Thousand Oaks, California, added its name to a dark roster: The site of the 307th mass shooting in the U.S. this year.

When Obama said that mass shootings just don't happen in other countries to the degree they do here, the Republicans cut the bolded part from his statement and said he was wrong. Trump's contribution to the discussion was to say that the synagogue that was one of the 307 should have had an armed guard.

So, do we now have armed guards at every public gathering where a shooting might occur?

In all, 328 people died in those incidents, and 1,251 were injured, according to the data. The numbers include incidents in which four or more people were shot or killed, not including the shooters, according to the archive.

That is far fewer than die by drug overdose, or even by auto accidents. Is it an acceptable number?

The latest shooting happened in California, which has some of the most restrictive gun laws in the nation. Are more restrictive gun laws the answer? I'd say, no.

Do we need to all be armed and ready for a Shootout at the OK Corral sort of incident? Who wants to live in such a society? The romanticized "wild west" never was what was shown in the movies after all. We don't need to create a fantasy world that never existed.

But, why is it that the United States, bastion of liberty, has so many incidents of mass shootings, nearly one a day? What is the sickness in our collective soul that makes it OK to go out and shoot people? Is it related to our appetite for illegal drugs? When more people die of drug overdose than of auto accidents, we should start to wonder why so many want to escape reality via chemicals.

Your thoughts?

Approximately 29,500 bathroom deaths in the past 300 days. Mostly caused by low blood pressure due to sitting on the throne too long. Some from falls when rising or sitting down. BAN TOILETS

So, do we now have armed guards at every public gathering where a shooting might occur?

This is the Republican Solution. They want a military-style police state in which Donald Trump is a military-style dictator in the exact same vein as North Korea. That is Trump's goal. That is the modern Republican parties goal. Make no mistake about it that is exactly what they want.

Approximately 29,500 bathroom deaths in the past 300 days. Mostly caused by low blood pressure due to sitting on the throne too long. Some from falls when rising or sitting down. BAN TOILETS

Do you enjoy making stupid comparisons? "People being gunned down in public and people dying self-inflicted by sitting, yeah, that sounds like the same thing to me!"

Why is it that all the other countries who regulate gun ownership all have such a lower murder and public shooting rate? Gun rights and sensible regulations can coexist.

The latest shooting happened in California, which has some of the most restrictive gun laws in the nation. Are more restrictive gun laws the answer? I'd say, no.

It's completely dishonest to point to California gun regulations failing when they have an open border with 49 other states that don't have the same laws.

Last edited:
Approximately 29,500 bathroom deaths in the past 300 days. Mostly caused by low blood pressure due to sitting on the throne for too long. Some from falls when rising or sitting down. BAN TOILETS

The people in your scenario that are not using the toilet properly are only hurting themselves. 12 people don't get murdered when someone misuses a toilet and killing someone is never the intended reason a person uses a toilet. Try again.

Looking at the source of this article, and it seems they have manipulated the stats to make a bogus assertion that there are mass shooting rampages occurring almost daily in this country and that isnt true.

Most of the incidents reported in the source are gang-related shootings (most of them ending up with woundings, not killings) in problem areas, which are very different than the mass murder rampages like the Vegas shooting.

A very dishonest article.

Is it really fair to compare these tiny countries 1/4 the size to the U.S.

I wasn't sure where to put this thread. I didn't want it in the gun control section, as that issue has been beaten to death already, and the mass shootings we're experiencing go a lot deeper than guns per se.

Thousand Oaks makes 307 mass shootings in 311 days

When Obama said that mass shootings just don't happen in other countries to the degree they do here, the Republicans cut the bolded part from his statement and said he was wrong. Trump's contribution to the discussion was to say that the synagogue that was one of the 307 should have had an armed guard.

That is far fewer than die by drug overdose, or even by auto accidents. Is it an acceptable number?

Do we need to all be armed and ready for a Shootout at the OK Corral sort of incident? Who wants to live in such a society? The romanticized "wild west" never was what was shown in the movies after all. We don't need to create a fantasy world that never existed.

But, why is it that the United States, bastion of liberty, has so many incidents of mass shootings, nearly one a day? What is the sickness in our collective soul that makes it OK to go out and shoot people? Is it related to our appetite for illegal drugs? When more people die of drug overdose than of auto accidents, we should start to wonder why so many want to escape reality via chemicals.

Your thoughts?

Red:
I think the topic is made no less hackneyed by placing the thread here rather than in the gun control section of the forum.

250,000 medical mistake deaths for the same period of time. It is time to ban all hospitals and clinics.

[h=1]Thousand Oaks makes 307 mass shootings in 311 days[/h]

Your thoughts?

To everyone who thinks banning guns, limiting guns, or anything with guns in the solution - It isn't about guns. The reason people commit mass murder is hatred. The desire to kill groups of people is the problem. Whatever the penalty for illegally owning a firearm even conceivably might be it won't matter. Once a person decides to commit mass murder they have accepted that they are dying that day or rotting on death row. Their life is over. No penalty, no level of making that gun possession illegal won't change it. No one will ever and has ever been ok with being gunned down, shooting themselves, or rotting in prison (the only way these things end) but feeling like the fine for illegal possession is just too much. Even if you remove them from the US all together the internet will still get them here. Stop the seething hatred - stop the mass shootings. There is no other solution.

Doesn't take long these days for the stupid to show up in some discussions.

Looking at the source of this article, and it seems they have manipulated the stats to make a bogus assertion that there are mass shooting rampages occurring almost daily in this country and that isnt true.

Most of the incidents reported in the source are gang-related shootings (most of them ending up with woundings, not killings) in problem areas, which are very different than the mass murder rampages like the Vegas shooting.

A very dishonest article.

It isn't dishonest. It says mass shootings - not mass murder. Shooting and murder are two completely different words. The clue is in the different spelling and pronunciation of the words.

It isn't dishonest. It says mass shootings - not mass murder. Shooting and murder are two completely different words. The clue is in the different spelling and pronunciation of the words.

The article makes no distinction between the two and words it like both are one and the same. The casual reader and those with an agenda will obviously be misled by or use it. As I said, its dishonest.

Do you enjoy making stupid comparisons? "People being gunned down in public and people dying self-inflicted by sitting, yeah, that sounds like the same thing to me!"

Why is it that all the other countries who regulate gun ownership all have such a lower murder and public shooting rate? Gun rights and sensible regulations can coexist.

It's completely dishonest to point to California gun regulations failing when they have an open border with 49 other states that don't have the same laws.

Yes I do. Making stupid comparisons points out the humor, fallacy, reality, and and other assorted attributes of emotional basis for decision making processes.

We have sensible gun laws in many states, however it isn't the law abiding who account for most of the killings. There are many countries with strict gun laws and higher murder rates.

The laws play a part, but any determined criminal will find a method for mass murder or individual murder. I can show you hundreds of recipes for explosives from household products on the net, but I won't because I don't want to place ideas in the wrong minds. I can show you where in NYC, with its strict gun laws, you can buy Bulgarian made guns, cheap, from the back trunk of automobiles, I won't for the same reason.

When you have methods for addressing and preventing criminal behavior in all its violent permutations, I'll be thrilled to learn something new that might be a help. Let's address the real causes, not the symptoms.

The people in your scenario that are not using the toilet properly are only hurting themselves. 12 people don't get murdered when someone misuses a toilet and killing someone is never the intended reason a person uses a toilet. Try again.

Went sailing right over your head. That's what happens when you view all criticism literally, with no sense of humor, and a superficial perspective. Of course this statement bordered on the ridiculous and that was the point.

Now you tell me, if we abandoned the toilet, how many would die because of sanitation issues? My bet, many more. And I have proofs. Starvations isn't the problem in third world countries. It is basic sanitation. People constantly using calories and other factors of nutrition to fight off preventable diseases caused by unsanitary conditions creates malnutrition, making them more vulnerable to disease, less capable to fight back with their own immunological systems. Plenty of evidence out there.

Now you can tell me how wrong I am. I've used guns to kill when it was part of my job, I've killed with no weapons and other weapons. Everytime I go for a hospital stay, the staff is dismayed by my battle scars. Neither experiences of joy, but I survived and my opponents didn't. I still pray for them.

To everyone who thinks banning guns, limiting guns, or anything with guns in the solution - It isn't about guns. The reason people commit mass murder is hatred. The desire to kill groups of people is the problem. Whatever the penalty for illegally owning a firearm even conceivably might be it won't matter. Once a person decides to commit mass murder they have accepted that they are dying that day or rotting on death row. Their life is over. No penalty, no level of making that gun possession illegal won't change it. No one will ever and has ever been ok with being gunned down, shooting themselves, or rotting in prison (the only way these things end) but feeling like the fine for illegal possession is just too much. Even if you remove them from the US all together the internet will still get them here. Stop the seething hatred - stop the mass shootings. There is no other solution.

Some on this board will never give up their hatred, and relish every hatred induced shooting so they can stand on the graves of the victims while they attack individual rights.

They never give a crap about a violent weekend in Chicago, but they will add the disproportionate amount to the total to make us appear more violent a nation than we are. These are the same types of people who include suicides, or count afterhours shootings near a school as a school shooting, or call a 24 year old gangbanger a child in order to make emotional appeals.

Doesn't take long these days for the stupid to show up in some discussions.

I would say you are right on time, as usual.

The people in your scenario aren't using guns properly. Of course you missed the little comment about sitting too long, driving down blood pressure to dangerous levels. Nothing right about that. Many of these people are obese, constipated, from eating improperly, with high blood pressure issues. What isn't wrong with this scenario. Yet it happens and America gets fatter. Suicide is also against the law. :applaud

The article makes no distinction between the two and words it like both are one and the same. The casual reader and those with an agenda will obviously be misled by or use it. As I said, its dishonest.

Not really. If a person shoots into a crowd of people and injures a dozen it would be irresponsible to glance over it just because they failed to inflict the amount of harm they hoped to do. Drive by shooting - gangland shooting and any other shooting where the goal is to kill as many people as possible in that grouping are all part of the same societal problems.

Yes I do. Making stupid comparisons points out the humor, fallacy, reality, and and other assorted attributes of emotional basis for decision making processes.
We have sensible gun laws in many states, however it isn't the law abiding who account for most of the killings. There are many countries with strict gun laws and higher murder rates.
The laws play a part, but any determined criminal will find a method for mass murder or individual murder. I can show you hundreds of recipes for explosives from household products on the net, but I won't because I don't want to place ideas in the wrong minds. I can show you where in NYC, with its strict gun laws, you can buy Bulgarian made guns, cheap, from the back trunk of automobiles, I won't for the same reason.
When you have methods for addressing and preventing criminal behavior in all its violent permutations, I'll be thrilled to learn something new that might be a help. Let's address the real causes, not the symptoms.

Other first world countries don't have the same problems we do, not nearly to the same degree. We're one of the only countries with a large number of nutters that believe literally everyone should have a gun, even violent criminals.

Some on this board will never give up their hatred, and relish every hatred induced shooting so they can stand on the graves of the victims while they attack individual rights.

They never give a crap about a violent weekend in Chicago, but they will add the disproportionate amount to the total to make us appear more violent a nation than we are. These are the same types of people who include suicides, or count afterhours shootings near a school as a school shooting, or call a 24 year old gangbanger a child in order to make emotional appeals.

Chicago is actually a great example. If you take a ghetto and then sprinkle a bunch of guns in, it doesn't somehow make it safer. Let's just end all hatred, that's much easier! :roll:

Wow! We just need to get rid of all hatred! That must be what everyone else did.

It would appear you are trying to ignore certain aspects of gun violence in order to make the stats seems irrelevant. You can discount shooting after dark, or pretend suicides aren't a problem or a 24 year old being gunned down should be ignored because he wasn't white enough - but the problem of violence is all violence. Gun violence is gun violence. Nothing is a problem if you exclude parts of it to fit your agenda. If you have a good, honest, intellectual opinion about something you don't need to twist facts, alter number, and exclude inconvenient numbers. You only need those things when you are full of **** and lying and are only hoping to fool idiots too stupid to realize it.

Other first world countries don't have the same problems we do, not nearly to the same degree. We're one of the only countries with a large number of nutters that believe literally everyone should have a gun, even violent criminals.

Chicago is actually a great example. If you take a ghetto and then sprinkle a bunch of guns in, it doesn't somehow make it safer. Let's just end all hatred, that's much easier! :roll:

Wow! We just need to get rid of all hatred! That must be what everyone else did.

Look past the statistics, plenty of hate and irrational people everywhere. If you want to share the causes of that hatred and how to prevent it, I'm willing to listen.

Look past the statistics, plenty of hate and irrational people everywhere. If you want to share the causes of that hatred and how to prevent it, I'm willing to listen.

If I walked in on you banging my wife, do you think it would play out differently if I had no gun anywhere near by, or if the wall was covered in loaded guns? People are emotional and often temporarily unstable. Adding a bunch of guns to every situation rarely makes it safer.

This is the Republican Solution. They want a military-style police state in which Donald Trump is a military-style dictator in the exact same vein as North Korea. That is Trump's goal. That is the modern Republican parties goal. Make no mistake about it that is exactly what they want.

Since when?

Have up poll numbers showing a majority of Republicans supporting this?

Republican politicians drawing up laws to enable this?

Back
Top Bottom