• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

307 shootings in 311 days

Clinton gun control schemes in 1993 did several things-none of them as intended

1) many many people bought guns right before the brady bill went into effect.

2) magazine makers went into 24/7 production before the ban went into effect. This had the impact of causing millions upon millions of magazines that wouldn't have been made to be made. Additionally, since pre ban magazines were legal, and cops could keep getting new ones -many dealers offered police departments brand new post ban magazines in trade for their used older Glock etc magazines which the dealers could then sell.

3) when the ban expired, millions of us shooters bought lots of magazines that were now legally available to guard against another Democrat administration pulling the same crap

so the Clinton gun ban put many many millions of normal capacity magazines into circulation -magazines that never would have been made or bought but for the ban

The same is true with the guns-the clinton gun ban caused lots of people to buy pre ban guns up right before the ban became effective. When the ban expired-two things happened.

a) people bought up "full featured" rifles that were now available.

b) I had bought several post Ban rifles. I put far more user friendly adjustable stocks on several AR 15s and folding stocks on three AK style rifles I bought

So the Clinton gun ban caused tons of scary looking weapons to be in circulation

In addition, many states allowed citizens to carry concealed weapons in this 25 year period. that caused many many people to buy small concealable handguns. it also meant millions more people were carry firearms on our streets

Despite these increases in guns in private hands and guns being carried on the streets-legally-crime rates have gone down

Thus, why do we need additional gun laws?

The OP explains it pretty well:

https://www.debatepolitics.com/law-and-order/336860-307-shootings-311-days.html#post1069273605

Both on forums and the news, I rarely see mental health care mentioned when the discussion is gun control. Obama only added it as an afterthought to his 2013 gun control bill when the Republicans mentioned it.

and yet, that's what we need more than anything else. Democrats yammer about gun control, Republicans counter with the Second Amendment, but no one talks about mental health. The suicide stats you posted show why there is a need for better mental health, yet no one will address the issue.

Back
Top Bottom