• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

300 died in last week’s airstrike on theatre in Mariupol, city government says

Bradlux

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
About 300 people were killed in a Russian airstrike last week on a Mariupol theatre that was being used as a shelter, Ukrainian authorities said Friday, which would make it the war’s deadliest known attack on civilians yet.

The bloodshed at the theatre fuelled allegations Moscow is committing war crimes by killing civilians, whether deliberately or by indiscriminate fire.

Odds are more civilians have died than Russian troops, but can't be admitted to. Due to that lowering morale in the Ukrainian soldiers.

Also, the whole Russian doctrine of bombarding civilians is now going to be going into effect. I hope Ukraine sees fit to surrender and is willing to lose donbass and luhansk for the lives of many civilians.

Odds are more civilians have died than Russian troops, but can't be admitted to. Due to that lowering morale in the Ukrainian soldiers.

Also, the whole Russian doctrine of bombarding civilians is now going to be going into effect. I hope Ukraine sees fit to surrender and is willing to lose donbass and luhansk for the lives of many civilians.
I hope Ukrainians don't stop fighting until they take back Crimea.

I hope Ukraine doesn't surrender.

Why do you support russia in this war?

Then, like Putin said, Ukraine will lose statehood. Don't for a second believe that Putin won't level the whole of Ukraine and kill as many civilians as he can in the process. You're reading propaganda from Western sources. Russia is making progress and they are not losing the war or close to losing it. I hope Ukrainians can ease their suffering by allowing for the two states to go to Russia and for them to ignore that they still won't have control of Crimea.

I don't support Russia. I am all for peace. Ukraine can't win the longer the war goes on. I know you are believing Russia is in a bad spot right now, but they are not. The longer the war goes on the more Ukrainians will suffer.

Then, like Putin said, Ukraine will lose statehood. Don't for a second believe that Putin won't level the whole of Ukraine and kill as many civilians as he can in the process.
Maybe - maybe not. But it still wouldn't be enough for the Ukrainians to lose. The catastrophic losses in Afghanistan are still on the minds of many Russians, and certainly the Russian military leadership. There they faced a country divided by ethnic and religious divisions, regional war lords, and drug lords. Afghanistan's Constitution cited Pashtun, Tajik, Hazara, Uzbek, Turkman, Baluch, Pachaie, Nuristani, Aymaq, Arab, Qirghiz, Qizilbash, Gujur, Brahwui and a dozen other smaller ethnic groups. And despite all of that division, all of that slaughter, and all of that military superiority, the mighty Soviet Union was driven from that country with their tails between their legs.

Conversely, in Ukraine, they face an educated homogeneous society, better trained, better armed by western nations, with much better intelligence assets, and a unified national identity that Afghanistan has never had since it's borders were first drawn. Add to that crippling sanctions, and much more scrutiny from the global press, and that recipe has already shown the Russian soufflé collapsing before it has even left the oven. The Russian army knows they are not defending their homeland, and they already suffer abysmally low morale, in some cases surrendering en masse, or even turning on their own superior officers.
You're reading propaganda from Western sources.
No. You're projecting because you're reading Putin's propaganda.
Russia is making progress and they are not losing the war or close to losing it.
They aren't winning it by any definition that the Russians expected, nor will long tolerate.
I hope Ukrainians can ease their suffering by allowing for the two states to go to Russia and for them to ignore that they still won't have control of Crimea.
It's very early yet. Time will tell.

Syria wants to take back the Golan Heights. Ukraine has about as much of a chance to
take back Crimea as the Syrians do in taking back Golan Heights. You're just being silly!

I don't support Russia. I am all for peace. Ukraine can't win the longer the war goes on. I know you are believing Russia is in a bad spot right now, but they are not. The longer the war goes on the more Ukrainians will suffer.

Mariupol is like a mini Leningrad in WWII.
Leningrad did not fall during the German siege which lasted from 1941-1944
and not one country in the world could compete with the german army of WWII.
During the great siege of Leningrad especially in that first winter. They ate their dogs & cats;
swallowed hair oil & vaseline & made soup of dried glue from furniture joints & wall paper.
One million may have died as a result of the siege.

Is that what you want to happen in Mariupol, look a the damage done to that city & it's
inhabitants in just one month. Surrender is certainly a win for the citizens there.

Syria wants to take back the Golan Heights. Ukraine has about as much of a chance to
take back Crimea as the Syrians do in taking back Golan Heights. You're just being silly!
If anything is silly, it's your attempt to conflate Crimea with the Golan. The Golan Heights was occupied by Israel because they were forced to. The alternative was to risk having artillery and rocket fire rained down on their country forever - quite understandibly, not an option they were willing to entertain. Crimea occupies no such strategic value between 2,000 year old enemies.

Back
Top Bottom