• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

30 Years of U.S. Military Strikes

Perotista

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Remember the last time we were at war (that wasn't cold)?
Date: Sep 2, 2013 12:29 AM
Thirty years of US military attacks

A look at major U.S. military strikes as ordered by the last five U.S. presidents and the degree of international support behind the actions.

RONALD REAGAN
Beirut (1982-83): U.S. troops deployed to Lebanon as part of a three-nation peacekeeping force. Reagan ordered limited airstrikes, with France, to retaliate for 1983 bombing on military barracks that killed 299 U.S. and French troops.

Grenada (1983): Invasion by an estimated 7,000 U.S. troops and 300 Organization of American States troops after a government coup; was condemned by Britain and the U.N. but supported by six Caribbean island nations that said it was justified under the OAS charter.

Libya (1986): Airstrikes to punish leader Moammar Gadhafi’s regime for a Berlin disco explosion that wounded U.S. 79 Americans and killed two. The U.K. supported the strikes but the U.N. General Assembly condemned them.

GEORGE H.W. BUSH
Panama (1989): Invasion by more than 26,000 troops after dictator Manuel Noriega declared war on the U.S. for sanctions on its drug-trafficking government. A U.S. Marine was killed after Noriega declared war but before the invasion began.

Iraq (1991): Invasion of Iraq with troops from 33 other counties to enforce U.N. Security Council resolution that ordered Saddam Hussein to withdraw forces from Kuwait.

Somalia (1992): Deployed troops for peacekeeping and humanitarian aid mission under U.N. Security Council resolution.

BILL CLINTON
Iraq (1993): Launched cruise missiles into Baghdad, hitting Iraqi intelligence headquarters, in retaliation for assassination plot against President George H.W. Bush.

Somalia (1993): Increased troop deployment for security and stability mission with 35 other nations under U.N. Security Council resolution.

Haiti (1994): Deployed troops for peacekeeping and nation-building mission as authorized by U.N. Security Council resolution.

Bosnia (1994-96): Launched airstrikes with NATO allies over 18 months, culminating with bombings, artillery attacks and cruise missile strikes against Bosnia Serbs, by request of U.N. Secretary General Boutrous Boutrous-Ghali and to enforce no-fly zones as authorized by at least three U.N. Security Council resolutions. Deployed troops in year-long NATO peacekeeping mission.

Iraq (1996): Launched cruise missiles at targets in southern Iraq in retaliation against attacks on U.S. jets enforcing no-fly zones to protect Iraqi minorities as authorized by U.N. Security Council resolution.

Sudan, Afghanistan (1998): Launched cruise missiles at terrorist training camps in Sudan and Afghanistan in retaliation against U.S. Embassy bombings in Kenya and Tanzania that killed more than 220 people, including 12 Americans.

Iraq (1998): Launched cruise missiles and airstrikes on a number of Baghdad targets to punish Saddam Hussein for not complying with U.N. chemical weapons inspections as required under U.N. Security Council resolutions.

Kosovo (1999): Launched airstrikes and cruise missiles over more than three months at Yugoslavian military targets, power stations, bridges and other facilities as part of NATO mission.

GEORGE W. BUSH
Afghanistan (2001): Invaded as part of NATO mission after attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. There are currently about 100,000 troops from 48 countries in Afghanistan with the U.S.-led International Security Assistance Force, 60,000 of them American. By the end of this year, the NATO force will be halved, and all foreign combat troops are to leave by the end of next year.

Iraq (2003): Invaded with “coalition of the willing” of 48 nations to overthrow Saddam Hussein. As many as 160,000 U.S. troops were in Iraq at the peak of the war and all forces withdrew in December 2011 as required under a security agreement between Iraq and the U.S.

BARACK OBAMA
Libya (2011): Launched cruise missiles and commanded initial international military operation to enforce U.N. Security Council resolution that called for a ceasefire in the Libyan civil war and established a no-fly zone.

Osama bin Laden (2011): While not an attack on a foreign nation, the raid that killed the al-Qaida leader is considered one of the Obama administration’s top military and intelligence successes and was carried out without permission from Pakistan, where bin Laden was hiding.

ALSO
Drones: Hundreds of deadly strikes have been carried out on al-Qaida targets during the Obama and the George W. Bush presidencies. The vast majority of them have been in Pakistan, Afghanistan and Yemen. It’s disputed whether the governments of all of those nations have given the U.S. permission for the strikes.

http://news.cincinnati.com/viewart/20130901/NEWS03/309010068/Thirty-years-US-military-attacks

Ran across this on my TLC-B site I belong to. Any comments on the article from those political savey folks here.

When I click your link I get: "Unfortunately, that page could not be found." from Cincinnati.com

That link even though excellent only causes many of the uninformed or misinformed to ask questions.

1.) How bad was my education during school ?

2.) Liberal revisionist history are all about lies.

3.) Gee Willikers, I didn't know I was so misinformed, 199 soon to be 200 undeclared wars fought by the U.S. military !!!

3 Reagan
3 Bush (41)
8 Clinton
2 Bush (43)
1 Obama... trying to make it several...

Republican average/term = 1.375
Democrat average/term = 2.125 or more.

Interesting...

That was a painful moment. Don't want to dredge that memory up again.

(grin!)
Actually, after I posted I noticed that the list wasn't specific when it was a declared war, just posted the beginning and end dates.
We don't take it personally, the bastard British were press-ganging naval crews all over the map because of their little dispute with a gent named Napoleon.
In Canada we're taught that the War of 1812, though a kind of unsatisfactory result for both sides, led to the development of the US navy as a legitimate contender.

3 Reagan
3 Bush (41)
8 Clinton
2 Bush (43)

Interesting...

it gets worse the further we go back.....which is why "recorded history" seems to have started the first day Reagan took office for all these stats.;)

3 Reagan
3 Bush (41)
8 Clinton
2 Bush (43)

Interesting...

Democratic administrations have been more warlike for awhile. Also more isolationist and protectionist. which makes me wonder why most of Canada and Europe rooted for Obama through two elections.
'Course, it's a stretch to call Clinton a Democrat- he was slightly to the right of Bush, Dole and Perot combined.

it gets worse the further we go back.....which is why "recorded history" seems to have started the first day Reagan took office for all these stats.;)

That "recorded history" is actually liberal revisionist history. It was first adopted by the radical left to be used to dumb down America to further the leftist agenda in 1964. They first started in our universities then would eventually be taught in our JC's and high schools and then our grade schools.

Democratic administrations have been more warlike for awhile. Also more isolationist and protectionist. which makes me wonder why most of Canada and Europe rooted for Obama through two elections.
'Course, it's a stretch to call Clinton a Democrat- he was slightly to the right of Bush, Dole and Perot combined.

Right off hand I can't think of one President who hasn't sent the U.S. military in to an armed conflict except Carter. I could be wrong about Carter. But Carter was a pantywaist. Many of the military brass during the carter administration believe if the Soviets were to move against NATO, Carter would surrender immediatly.

Over 140 of those "small wars" were only fought by Navy blue jackets and U.S. Marines. The reason why, before the War Powers Act of 1973, the only time a President needed approval from Congress to go to war was when the Army was used. Only Congress can declare war but the Constitution only mentions the Army not the Navy.

REALLY? You could make that argument about Vietnam...but since then? No. Why? Because since then, each and every one of the engagements originally entered into by a Democratic president was limited, with concrete and achievable goals. Can you think of any engagements entered into by a Democratic president since the end of Vietnam for regime change in a sovereign nation that included American boots on the ground? I can't - I mean, yes, we had boots on the ground in Somalia under Clinton, but that was more of a poorly-thought-out humanitarian mission.

But I do know that Republicans initiated operations with boots on the ground in Panama, Grenada, Beirut, Kuwait, Afghanistan, and a little invasion of Iraq (you may have heard of it)...and two of these were not limited operations, but flat-out invasions with the stated intentions of regime change - and one was initiated on what we now know to be false premises. There were many Democrats who bought into Bush 43's lies - myself included, for a while - and so supported the war...but there were also many (and perhaps most) Democrats who opposed the invasion of Iraq...

...but Republicans supported the invasion of Iraq pretty much in lockstep. And the invasion of Iraq was bigger, more expensive, costlier in American military lives - and more shameful - than all the other military operations since Vietnam put together.

and YOUR boy Bush lied us into it.

Okay? Y'all got NO room to talk about who's being more warlike. If you'll check, it's more Republicans than Democrats who are saying that Obama's not being aggressive enough when it comes to military action against Syria.

3 Reagan
3 Bush (41)
8 Clinton
2 Bush (43)

Interesting...

Never mind that the illegal and unprovoked invasion of Iraq was bigger - and costlier in terms of blood and treasure - than the rest of those military actions put together, hm?

That link even though excellent only causes many of the uninformed or misinformed to ask questions.

1.) How bad was my education during school ?

2.) Liberal revisionist history are all about lies.

3.) Gee Willikers, I didn't know I was so misinformed, 199 soon to be 200 undeclared wars fought by the U.S. military !!!

Yeah, I guess we shoulda stuck with history written by Joseph McCarthy, Ayn Rand, and the John Birch Society.

Never mind that the illegal and unprovoked invasion of Iraq was bigger - and costlier in terms of blood and treasure - than the rest of those military actions put together, hm?

Wow.

Wake up and smell the coffee. There was nothing illegal or unprovoked about it. He was given an ultimatum to show disposition of his WMD or else. After 9/11, we couldn't let him to continue to ignore the several UN resolutions, and agreements he made that stopped us short of taking him out in '91. Congress passed legislation for the invasion both during the Clinton administration, and Bush.

REALLY? You could make that argument about Vietnam...but since then? No. Why? Because since then, each and every one of the engagements originally entered into by a Democratic president was limited, with concrete and achievable goals. Can you think of any engagements entered into by a Democratic president since the end of Vietnam for regime change in a sovereign nation that included American boots on the ground? I can't - I mean, yes, we had boots on the ground in Somalia under Clinton, but that was more of a poorly-thought-out humanitarian mission.

But I do know that Republicans initiated operations with boots on the ground in Panama, Grenada, Beirut, Kuwait, Afghanistan, and a little invasion of Iraq (you may have heard of it)...and two of these were not limited operations, but flat-out invasions with the stated intentions of regime change - and one was initiated on what we now know to be false premises. There were many Democrats who bought into Bush 43's lies - myself included, for a while - and so supported the war...but there were also many (and perhaps most) Democrats who opposed the invasion of Iraq...

...but Republicans supported the invasion of Iraq pretty much in lockstep. And the invasion of Iraq was bigger, more expensive, costlier in American military lives - and more shameful - than all the other military operations since Vietnam put together.

Okay? Y'all got NO room to talk about who's being more warlike. If you'll check, it's more Republicans than Democrats who are saying that Obama's not being aggressive enough when it comes to military action against Syria.

(snicker!)

Right off hand I can't think of one President who hasn't sent the U.S. military in to an armed conflict except Carter. I could be wrong about Carter. But Carter was a pantywaist. Many of the military brass during the carter administration believe if the Soviets were to move against NATO, Carter would surrender immediatly.

Over 140 of those "small wars" were only fought by Navy blue jackets and U.S. Marines. The reason why, before the War Powers Act of 1973, the only time a President needed approval from Congress to go to war was when the Army was used. Only Congress can declare war but the Constitution only mentions the Army not the Navy.

Technically, Carter did as well. He ordered Operation Desert Eagle Claw.

Last edited:
Yeah, I guess we shoulda stuck with history written by Joseph McCarthy, Ayn Rand, and the John Birch Society.

Considering that most of you think that Joe McCarthy was the chairman of the HUAC, perhaps that would have been a good idea.

Yeah, you definitely should be listening to someone else's--realistic--version of history. Not to mention, take a common sense pill.

Remember the last time we were at war (that wasn't cold)?
Date: Sep 2, 2013 12:29 AM
Thirty years of US military attacks

A look at major U.S. military strikes as ordered by the last five U.S. presidents and the degree of international support behind the actions.

RONALD REAGAN
Beirut (1982-83): U.S. troops deployed to Lebanon as part of a three-nation peacekeeping force. Reagan ordered limited airstrikes, with France, to retaliate for 1983 bombing on military barracks that killed 299 U.S. and French troops.

Grenada (1983): Invasion by an estimated 7,000 U.S. troops and 300 Organization of American States troops after a government coup; was condemned by Britain and the U.N. but supported by six Caribbean island nations that said it was justified under the OAS charter.

Libya (1986): Airstrikes to punish leader Moammar Gadhafi’s regime for a Berlin disco explosion that wounded U.S. 79 Americans and killed two. The U.K. supported the strikes but the U.N. General Assembly condemned them.

GEORGE H.W. BUSH
Panama (1989): Invasion by more than 26,000 troops after dictator Manuel Noriega declared war on the U.S. for sanctions on its drug-trafficking government. A U.S. Marine was killed after Noriega declared war but before the invasion began.

Iraq (1991): Invasion of Iraq with troops from 33 other counties to enforce U.N. Security Council resolution that ordered Saddam Hussein to withdraw forces from Kuwait.

Somalia (1992): Deployed troops for peacekeeping and humanitarian aid mission under U.N. Security Council resolution.

BILL CLINTON
Iraq (1993): Launched cruise missiles into Baghdad, hitting Iraqi intelligence headquarters, in retaliation for assassination plot against President George H.W. Bush.

Somalia (1993): Increased troop deployment for security and stability mission with 35 other nations under U.N. Security Council resolution.

Haiti (1994): Deployed troops for peacekeeping and nation-building mission as authorized by U.N. Security Council resolution.

Bosnia (1994-96): Launched airstrikes with NATO allies over 18 months, culminating with bombings, artillery attacks and cruise missile strikes against Bosnia Serbs, by request of U.N. Secretary General Boutrous Boutrous-Ghali and to enforce no-fly zones as authorized by at least three U.N. Security Council resolutions. Deployed troops in year-long NATO peacekeeping mission.

Iraq (1996): Launched cruise missiles at targets in southern Iraq in retaliation against attacks on U.S. jets enforcing no-fly zones to protect Iraqi minorities as authorized by U.N. Security Council resolution.

Sudan, Afghanistan (1998): Launched cruise missiles at terrorist training camps in Sudan and Afghanistan in retaliation against U.S. Embassy bombings in Kenya and Tanzania that killed more than 220 people, including 12 Americans.

Iraq (1998): Launched cruise missiles and airstrikes on a number of Baghdad targets to punish Saddam Hussein for not complying with U.N. chemical weapons inspections as required under U.N. Security Council resolutions.

Kosovo (1999): Launched airstrikes and cruise missiles over more than three months at Yugoslavian military targets, power stations, bridges and other facilities as part of NATO mission.

GEORGE W. BUSH
Afghanistan (2001): Invaded as part of NATO mission after attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. There are currently about 100,000 troops from 48 countries in Afghanistan with the U.S.-led International Security Assistance Force, 60,000 of them American. By the end of this year, the NATO force will be halved, and all foreign combat troops are to leave by the end of next year.

Iraq (2003): Invaded with “coalition of the willing” of 48 nations to overthrow Saddam Hussein. As many as 160,000 U.S. troops were in Iraq at the peak of the war and all forces withdrew in December 2011 as required under a security agreement between Iraq and the U.S.

BARACK OBAMA
Libya (2011): Launched cruise missiles and commanded initial international military operation to enforce U.N. Security Council resolution that called for a ceasefire in the Libyan civil war and established a no-fly zone.

Osama bin Laden (2011): While not an attack on a foreign nation, the raid that killed the al-Qaida leader is considered one of the Obama administration’s top military and intelligence successes and was carried out without permission from Pakistan, where bin Laden was hiding.

ALSO
Drones: Hundreds of deadly strikes have been carried out on al-Qaida targets during the Obama and the George W. Bush presidencies. The vast majority of them have been in Pakistan, Afghanistan and Yemen. It’s disputed whether the governments of all of those nations have given the U.S. permission for the strikes.

http://news.cincinnati.com/viewart/20130901/NEWS03/309010068/Thirty-years-US-military-attacks

Ran across this on my TLC-B site I belong to. Any comments on the article from those political savey folks here.

There's nothing to say. The truth is large. This is how americans want america to be, obviously. Otherwise it wouldn't happen.
We get exactly the government we deserve.

McCarthy, Rand and the Birchers didn't write history, history is written about them. There's the truth about them and then there is the revisionist history about them.

So I'll mark you down as being against obama authorizing attacks on syria? Would that be correct?

Considering that most of you think that Joe McCarthy was the chairman of the HUAC, perhaps that would have been a good idea.

Funny that the Marxist and other radical socialist overlook that JFK was 100 % aligned with McCarthy.

(Should be noted: JFK liberals became neoconservatives during the 70's and early 80's.)

And McCarthy did expose communist with in government who wanted to overthrow the U.S. government.

And most people even those of my age are clueless who the Birchers were.

I have no idea how Ian Rand even fits in.

Back
Top Bottom